The Student Room Group

Northern Independence

I’ve just finished my first year of university and throughout the entirety of it I noticed the strong divide between northern England and southern England. As a northerner, I was aware that the south was better off than us and most of the southerners had massively easier upbringings with more access to resources and much heavier investment in their regions. What I wasn’t aware of was how the south looked down on us, they believe us to be their inferiors, mocking our accents and our poverty (which was often created by southerners lack of investment and infrastructure for our lands). The vast majority of southerners I came across found it strange that someone with my accent and upbringing had managed to make it to medical school. No more.

I attend a northern university and hence I have seen how most northerners have similar experiences to my own. Treating the north as their plaything before they go home to wealth and easy lives. Then today I wondered if there had ever been secession calls from the north to leave the UK and there have been many. With many tens of thousands of supporters calling out for a voice. I say it’s time we gave it them. For too long has the north been ignored, too long have the front benches of parliament been lined with Etonians with the same irreverence to our region as those before them.

The UK isn’t London, and we’re waking up. We are fed up of the south looking down on us. It’s time we left. The UK won’t survive the coming decades as it is, and if the North wants to be strong again, we have to leave those who use and abuse our people and our land. #FreeTheNorth

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Absolutely right. It's time we all had a voice #FreeTheNorth
Reply 2
This thread is tantamount to treason.

I am of the north and share your disgust with the pandering to London liberals and the danger that some of them like Corbyn represent but to tear our great nation apart would be an act of historic savagry.
I'm from Scotland and this is the true north.
No, terrible idea, from a northerner herself; we don't need anymore divide in this country than we already have. That being said I am rather sick of southerners coming up here driving up our house prices
Reply 5
Well at this rate of UK politics, we might as well go and divide every square metre of the UK because the people next door have got it all wrong
I think you're confusing the South as a singular entity, because outside of the SE corner then the rest of us down here ( I'm in Dorset) are in as much shite as anyone oop North.
Reply 7
Original post by ColinDent
I think you're confusing the South as a singular entity, because outside of the SE corner then the rest of us down here ( I'm in Dorset) are in as much shite as anyone oop North.

I thought everybody in the south west was a farmer.
Original post by AyrshireStudent
I'm from Scotland and this is the true north.

I did find one petition with about 60K signatures asking for northern England to become a part of Scotland. To be honest I'd rather that than have Londoners continue to think they're the whole UK. So maybe we're after the same thing
Original post by Ben878 (LfL)
Well at this rate of UK politics, we might as well go and divide every square metre of the UK because the people next door have got it all wrong

Maybe that's a sign that London is doing their job wrong? If they want to keep us they should start investing in us (other independence movements included)

You've already got an independence movement anyway hahaha
Let’s just split up every city/town into their own country.
Such a bad idea, there is a good reason Northern Ireland stays part of the UK: Money. Northern Ireland doesn't have enough money to carry on by itself, it heavily relies on England and Scotland for support.
Original post by RichPiana
Let’s just split up every city/town into their own country.

As much as you're making a joke there are serious petitions with massive followings who want an independent north. In all likelihood when Scotland goes independent and if the northern movement gains enough support we would probably join Scotland. We would finally be free from the oppression of London.
Original post by schoolsboring
Such a bad idea, there is a good reason Northern Ireland stays part of the UK: Money. Northern Ireland doesn't have enough money to carry on by itself, it heavily relies on England and Scotland for support.

This isn't Ireland. This is northern England- which can easily stand on its own (many of the signatures also call for northern England to join Scotland so that would essentially wipe out southern Englands power to hold the UK together. The end of the empire at last.)
Original post by TomSmith12345
This isn't Ireland. This is northern England- which can easily stand on its own (many of the signatures also call for northern England to join Scotland so that would essentially wipe out southern Englands power to hold the UK together. The end of the empire at last.)

Oh yeah go for it then, England's doomed you might as well save yourself while you can
Original post by TomSmith12345
As much as you're making a joke there are serious petitions with massive followings who want an independent north. In all likelihood when Scotland goes independent and if the northern movement gains enough support we would probably join Scotland. We would finally be free from the oppression of London.

When you say massive followings do you mean more than 100?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
I thought everybody in the south west was a farmer.

No, I can both read and write but I cannot drive a tractor.
sounds like youve been watching to much game of thrones.

The other poster was very correct about the south, head down to cornwal, parts of devon etc. and you will see exactly the same issues as you see in the north.

As far as independance goes, the world is pushing ever closer together and ever more connected and globalized.. the idea that splitting up further will lead to any form of prosperity is just backwards and a disaster. Which is a shame, because Ideologically I am very very much in favour of localist ideals, small self governing communities who serve each other, stay together, help one and other, produce their own goods etc. But as much as I like the ideal, its not the way the global world works, and anyone who chooses to go down that route will suffer badly.

As much as they may not like it, the North, and scotland, badly need to be a part of something bigger then themselves. Soctlands solution is simple, get away from london, but relly on the EU. Is the north going to do this? If the cost for their idependance is the EU? When most of the north is heavily in favour of leaving the EU?

Its a disaster of an idea.. its like cornish people voting to leave the EU, despite cornwal recieving more EU funding then any other part of the UK, and clearly being able to see that the EU is more willing to support them then london is..
When you say massive followings do you mean more than 100?

About 100 thousand in total... So considering I hadn't even heard of it this is serious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending