The Student Room Group
Ouch. Sorry, no. Out of tune.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
First off, I applaud you for uploading a video of yourself for critique as that's not an easy thing to do.

Having said that, while your voice has a deep tone, it's just not tuneful. It's not something you can listen to and find pleasant.

If you want to pursue singing, a vocal coach can help you with that; having a voice with that low a register can sound fantastic, but right now it doesn't. Keep on going though.
My ears hurt.

I will always remind myself of this before coming on TSR first thing in the morning.
Original post by seacolumbus
Hey,

To be honest, your voice is really deep and you have a lot of potential to be a baritone/alto singer, which is pretty incredible.

But, on the other hand, you’re singing out of tune with the melody line - I think you need vocal lessons to help with that. I don’t want you to think I’m insulting you, but the term ‘tone-deaf’ seems to suit your case.

P/S- How old are you? Your profile pic is showing young man but on the Smule video you look around 30ish.... 👀😶

I appreciate the honesty. I'm a firm believer in 'honesty is the best policy', and so I respect you all for upholding this principle and not holding anything back. It's one thing for your mom to say you're a good singer, but quite another to get a more objective and informed outside opinion, or in this case, several (which is preferable all the more so).

Not to counter the 'tone-deaf' point at all, but it's weird that I can't sing in tune and yet I can perceptively discern where the high and low notes are, and even the most subtle of pitch differences where others cannot (for example, where PAL speedup affects the pitch of movies converted from 24fps to 25fps). For some reason my brain just cannot output the same quality.

And to answer your question, I'm 22. The 'young man' photo was only taken last year, but many stressful and unfortunate life events have happened within that short space of time, so it doesn't surprise me that you think I look much older.
Your feedback and support are not going unappreciated! Thank you immeasurably for being so willing to extend a hand. :smile:
Original post by seacolumbus
Hey there,

As another person mentioned, it was brave of you to post your video and ask for critique. That’s a step towards improvement, so no worries.

You are right, you can differentiate the pitches of the song, which I noticed right away. It’s just that your keys you’re singing in are off as compared to the songs. Some people can naturally sing in key, while some others don’t. While this means some work to be done, it doesn’t mean it’s impossible. It just takes practice and a good teacher - I said a good teacher because they might speed up the progress a lot more than the average one. And I appreciate the fact you took my comment objectively.

I suppose I should apologise for assuming you to be much older. I hope that you are alright and well - you are only 22, so don’t be too harsh on yourself or let emotional baggages affect your life too much. Or else, you might miss out on your youth, as I did when was younger and went through roughly the same circumstances. If you need anybody to talk to, you can always PM me :smile:

Latest