The Student Room Group

Year 10 end of year mocks

Hi. I'm coming to the end of year 10 and have my end of year exams coming up. My question is how much revision do you think i need, and what subjects i need more revision on. I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, English(the paper this year is only a language one), Geography, German, R.S and Computing.
It depends what your strengths are. It can be difficult in y10 as you haven't covered the entire course. For sciences and maths, I recommend thttp://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com as they have really good questions on every topic so you can focus on what's in you exam. Sciences definitely have a lot more content and can be harder to remember so start there. English language shouldn't take too much time - perhaps just complete a paper to familiarise yourself with the questions. I can't comment on R.S and Computing as I didn't take them, but for Geography just learn your case studies! As for German, have you used Memrise? If you search GCSE German 9-1 there is a course which has every single piece of vocab you need to know and it basically saved my GCSE. All in all, if you do around 2 hours a day for about 2 weeks you'll do fine. Y10 mocks aren't the end of the world. LE me know if you have any more questions.
Hey, I’m currently in Year 11, but it doesn’t feel like long at all since I did my Year 10 Mocks!

I would encourage you to do as much as you can, but don’t wear yourself out too much it’s not worth it, considering these aren’t real exams; they are just there for you and your teachers to check on your progress, as well as for you to get a feel for what the real GCSEs will be like.

I found that doing some mocks before my actual exams was helpful, as I don’t feel so intimidated by the feeling of being in the exam hall now that I’m doing the real thing. They’re also quite good at giving you a sense of the pace you need to work at.

There’s not really a definite answer I can give you on “how much” revision you need to do, because it depends on how many revision materials you’ve already made and whether you’ve been revising over the last one/two years. Either way, I definitely recommend you give it your best anyway, just don’t stress yourself out too much over it. Good luck! 😊
Reply 3
What grades do you think i should be aiming for if i want all 8s and 9s at gcse?
Original post by Meg1Smith
It depends what your strengths are. It can be difficult in y10 as you haven't covered the entire course. For sciences and maths, I recommend thttp://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com as they have really good questions on every topic so you can focus on what's in you exam. Sciences definitely have a lot more content and can be harder to remember so start there. English language shouldn't take too much time - perhaps just complete a paper to familiarise yourself with the questions. I can't comment on R.S and Computing as I didn't take them, but for Geography just learn your case studies! As for German, have you used Memrise? If you search GCSE German 9-1 there is a course which has every single piece of vocab you need to know and it basically saved my GCSE. All in all, if you do around 2 hours a day for about 2 weeks you'll do fine. Y10 mocks aren't the end of the world. LE me know if you have any more questions.
To put it simply - it's useless unless you care about your exams a lot. It's just a way to see where you're at till your real exams.
Original post by triviaking
Hi. I'm coming to the end of year 10 and have my end of year exams coming up. My question is how much revision do you think i need, and what subjects i need more revision on. I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, English(the paper this year is only a language one), Geography, German, R.S and Computing.

Im in your year and ik the feeling revise topics u struggle with most and half an hour each day on rest also lucky u i have to do english language and lit paper 2
I got 10 x 9s in GCSEs, and in year 10 mocks I got mainly grade 7s and above. But, then I got a grade 4 in history and a 9 in GCSE so it doesn't really indicate what you get in GCSES. I would aim for at least a grade 6 in everything but don't be too disheartened if it doesn't work out as you have an entire year to improve.
Original post by triviaking
What grades do you think i should be aiming for if i want all 8s and 9s at gcse?
Reply 7
Congrats on your amazing results! I too am looking to get results like these. Thanks for the advice!
I got 10 x 9s in GCSEs, and in year 10 mocks I got mainly grade 7s and above. But, then I got a grade 4 in history and a 9 in GCSE so it doesn't really indicate what you get in GCSES. I would aim for at least a grade 6 in everything but don't be too disheartened if it doesn't work out as you have an entire year to improve.
Reply 8
Just completed my mocks. I got:

Biology - 6
Physics - 6
Chemistry - 8
Geography - 7
Maths - 8
RS - 8
Computing - 7
German - 6
English Lang - 6
Well done they are a great set of results! You're definitely on track so I would aim to improve by a level in every subject by your mocks in autumn term next year. But, for now, just enjoy your summer :smile:
On track to getting 8s and 9s?
Well done they are a great set of results! You're definitely on track so I would aim to improve by a level in every subject by your mocks in autumn term next year. But, for now, just enjoy your summer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest