The Student Room Group

Copa america 2019

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion, i dont think brazil is that good. They didnt really play a top team and they drew 0-0 with Venezuela.
I guess the best team would be Uruguay as they have a very good defence and all the players have been playing together since a very long time.
although i still think messi will win this one :smile:
Reply 21
Chile Vs Uruguay should be a great game.
KO at 12am!
Reply 22

Brazil to go through although have a sneaky feeling for Paraguay
Argentina should go through but depends if they turn up. Venezuela are dangerous from set pieces and they won 3-1 last time they met
Colombia to edge it IMO but Chile wont give up a title defence easily
Uruguay should have too much for Peru .
(edited 4 years ago)
Uruguay will win this.
Reply 24
Original post by Zürich
Uruguay will win this.

:s-smilie:
Reply 25
3 of the four quarters ending 0-0 and Brazil, Chile and Peru qualifying.
Argentina winning in normal time 2-0 (shock horror)!

Feels harsh on Uruguay and Colombia, both unbeaten in this tournament in 90 mins and find themselves out.
Chile and Peru both scoring 5/5 in the shootout- Chile's pens were exceptional.
The race of topscorer is still open with lots of players on 2 goals as top scorers.

SFs:
Arg v Brazil
Chile v Peru

I think we could have a repeat of the previous two finals. Arg v Chile.
Reply 26
Brazil are much better than them but i just have a sneaky feeling...
Should be a great game.
Reply 27
Same here, might try and watch it but i remember staying up for the last final. Went to bed at 5:30am!

They have to make the final first. Brazil are a quality side and with the home crowd pushing them forward, they will be a tough side to beat.
@Icecream1 three of four quarter finals ended up in a goalless draw. what is the matter with the teams? all the semi-finalist gave me the impression of being average teams. Or am I wrong? I did not lose the feeling that even the best teams in South American football as a rule, Brazil and Argentina, have lost the touch to world class in the past years.
Reply 29
Original post by Kallisto
@Icecream1 three of four quarter finals ended up in a goalless draw. what is the matter with the teams? all the semi-finalist gave me the impression of being average teams. Or am I wrong? I did not lose the feeling that even the best teams in South American football as a rule, Brazil and Argentina, have lost the touch to world class in the past years.

I have to agree with you that they have been average. There have been few top performances. The top goalscorer in the tournament is about 6/7 players on 2 goals! Nobody has stood out.

Argentina and Brazil are in flux at the minute and seem to have lost their identities. Unfortunately. their respective FAs are run by corrupt inept individuals and need a complete overhaul. Just watching the European U21 finals and the Spain players look fantastic. Some them would get into any of the sides in the Copa America.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Icecream1
I have to agree with you that they have been average. There have been few top performances. The top goalscorer in the tournament is about 6/7 players on 2 goals! Nobody has stood out.

Argentina and Brazil are in flux at the minute and seem to have lost their identities. Unfortunately. their respective FAs are run by corrupt inept individuals and need a complete overhaul. Just watching the European U21 finals and the Spain players look fantastic. Some them would get into any of the sides in the Copa America.

Yeah, I have heard of the corruption in the FAs and if that goes on in that way, no South American team will win a world cup again for the next decades. Individual class of the players is pointless, if they can't be formed to a team.
Original post by Zürich
Uruguay will win this.

:ahee:
Original post by Zerforax
:ahee:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who would have thought that Uruguay bottled it on penalties against Peru? Peru! the team which lost 0-5 against the host in group stage!! if Peru wins the Copa, I swear, I begin to learn Spanish! and if this really comes true, you can quote me here!
Reply 33
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who would have thought that Uruguay bottled it on penalties against Peru? Peru! the team which lost 0-5 against the host in group stage!! if Peru wins the Copa, I swear, I begin to learn Spanish! and if this really comes true, you can quote me here!

Bottle is a bit unfair. They had a few ruled out by VAR so were creating chances. The QF's go straight to pens after 90 mins but that isnt the case now, so its harder to play for pens.

I agree, though, if Peru do it.....
Original post by Icecream1
(...) The QF's go straight to pens after 90 mins but that isnt the case now, so its harder to play for pens.
(...)

Is there a certain reason why it goes to penalties after 90 minutes instead of 120? The host Brazil is in the final. That is fine, Argentina was so bad after all I heard of that it would not had deserved with this performance to come so far.
Refereeing in that Brazil game was horrendous :lol:
Reply 36
Brazil v Peru make the final. Brazil were the favourites on home soil but Argentina will count themselves unlucky. There were some strange refereeing decisions and Argentina will feel aggrieved. It was summed up in the build up to the goal that sealed the game. Aguero called for a penalty and Jesus made a brilliant run and made a simple finish for Firmino to finish the game. Brazil remain unbeaten on home soil to Argentina.
Bolsonaro was there and some dodgy decisions happened.... Apparently even his security's radio was interfering with the VAR frequencies.

Chile v Peru- wow.... Chile going for a three peat but Peru were intense. Peru are a bogey team for Chile.

Argentina v Chile has been the final game of their Copa's for the last three tournaments now.

Brazil will be heavy favourites, they beat Peru 5-0 in the group stages....
Peru are going to be a different side this time around.

Is there a certain reason why it goes to penalties after 90 minutes instead of 120? The host Brazil is in the final. That is fine, Argentina was so bad after all I heard of that it would not had deserved with this performance to come so far.

Isn't it the same in the league cup in England? It was probably Argentina's best performance for a while. They made some good opportunities, hit the woodwork twice and should have had a couple of VAR reviews.
Original post by Malevolent
Refereeing in that Brazil game was horrendous :lol:

Absolutely awful...:s-smilie:
The Argentine FA have asked for a review and report into why VAR was not reviewed.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 37
Arg 2-1 Chile

Argentina finish in third place and were the better side. The Messi sending off was a joke. He is headbutted and chest bumped twice by Medel and the ref send off both of them! He had the audacity to be hit and was sent off. I'm not surprised after the awful officiating in their previous game and an official response requested by the AFA,

Looking forward to the final tomorrow. I just hope the ref will be up to standards.
Reply 38
Brazil 3-1 Peru

Jesus has had a brilliant tournament. The assist for the first goal was sweet and a nice finish to win the game. His red card was soft. The officiating in this tournament has been awful. Brazil had to win their home tournament...
Reply 39
:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest