The Student Room Group

Traffic light law

Are there any red light cameras thst can be black in colour and be positioned on the top, or attached to a traffic light
Reply 1
Yes
Original post by Unknown2605
Are there any red light cameras thst can be black in colour and be positioned on the top, or attached to a traffic light
Reply 2
What do they look like?
Original post by TG1984
Yes
Reply 3
There's no law on what colour they are.
Reply 4
Pretty much what you described.
What do they look like?
Reply 5
Why i was confused is that if there was a camera only on top of the light facing the traffic how would it prove you went through a red light because there would be no red light in the photo, and also people say about a flash in a rear view mirror, that wouldn't be possible if the camera was facing towards you and even if it did that flash would be very dangerous as it would temporarily blur you vision
Original post by TG1984
Pretty much what you described.
Reply 6
They don't usually flash due to the type of cameras that they are. Have a read of this, it might help:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/cameras/traffic-light-cameras/
Why i was confused is that if there was a camera only on top of the light facing the traffic how would it prove you went through a red light because there would be no red light in the photo, and also people say about a flash in a rear view mirror, that wouldn't be possible if the camera was facing towards you and even if it did that flash would be very dangerous as it would temporarily blur you vision
Reply 7
Thanks mate I'm still really confused though iv not seen this light anywhere on line but Iv seen them a few times in the teeside area, I just don't know how a light facing away from the lights can prove you went through a red because it will not show you past the line or the colour of the light you went through
Original post by TG1984
They don't usually flash due to the type of cameras that they are. Have a read of this, it might help:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/cameras/traffic-light-cameras/
Reply 8
Thanks mate I'm still really confused though iv not seen this light anywhere on line but Iv seen them a few times in the teeside area, I just don't know how a light facing away from the lights can prove you went through a red because it will not show you past the line or the colour of the light you went through

No you haven't; there's no operational red light or fixed speed cameras in Durham or Cleveland.
It sounds like a traffic sensor... and they'e just there to let the light control system know how busy the diferent roads coming into the junction are.
Okay cheers just seen a sign lost saying traffic signal and speed cameras that's all
Original post by IWMTom
No you haven't; there's no operational red light or fixed speed cameras in Durham or Cleveland.
How do you know none of them work may I ask?
Okay cheers just seen a sign lost saying traffic signal and speed cameras that's all
Reply 12
How do you know none of them work may I ask?

Live in the area. Gazette did an article on it. Durham and Cleveland have a joint RPU as I'm sure you're probably aware - they only use mobile cameras.
Fair enough mate!
Original post by IWMTom
Live in the area. Gazette did an article on it. Durham and Cleveland have a joint RPU as I'm sure you're probably aware - they only use mobile cameras.

Spoiler

What do you they look like
Original post by Bluemonkey14

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest