The Student Room Group

Unemployment/Abroad

Hello, I have a question regarding repayments if you are abroad and unemployed. SL want to see statements from the past 3 months, so if you go abroad and don’t find a job for a while and you’re using the money you saved in the UK, are you meant to give them bank statements every three months?
Hi,

The overseas assessment is carried out once every 12 months. Once you have provided evidence this should not be requested until the period ends.

More information on this process can be found here http://www.slc-apps.co.uk/qsg/overseas.html

Thanks

Erin
Reply 2
Thank you. Will this be a UK bank statement or a foreign bank statement?
Original post by iamtheuser
Thank you. Will this be a UK bank statement or a foreign bank statement?

Hi there,

It would be the bank account that holds your savings.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 4
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

It would be the bank account that holds your savings.

Thanks, Erin

Thank you again. What happens to the repayments ? Do they stop ? Do you build arrears until you start paying again? Does it affect credit history/score negatively back in the uk?
Thank you again. What happens to the repayments ? Do they stop ? Do you build arrears until you start paying again? Does it affect credit history/score negatively back in the uk?

Hi there,

If you are not earning over the threshold then you are not eligible to repay at this time. It does not affect your credit score in the UK.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 6
Hi there,

If you are not earning over the threshold then you are not eligible to repay at this time. It does not affect your credit score in the UK.

Thanks, Erin

Sorry for so many questions. Can I ask when this 12 month assessment is run? Is it like April of every year or when do you ask to complete the 12 month assessment ?
Also I found a list here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-earnings-thresholds-for-plan-1-student-loans/overseas-earnings-thresholds-for-plan-1-student-loans-2019-20

What does “fixed” repayment mean?
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry for so many questions. Can I ask when this 12 month assessment is run? Is it like April of every year or when do you ask to complete the 12 month assessment ?

Hi there,

The 12 months starts from when you complete and return your overseas assessment form to us, then it will be 12 months on when we ask for further evidence and updates on your situation.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 8
Hi there,

The 12 months starts from when you complete and return your overseas assessment form to us, then it will be 12 months on when we ask for further evidence and updates on your situation.

Thanks, Erin

Thank you Erin, could you please tell me what the fixed payments are in the list I have given above? (I would post the link again but it will have to be approved again).
Thank you Erin, could you please tell me what the fixed payments are in the list I have given above? (I would post the link again but it will have to be approved again).

Hi there,

The fixed monthly repayment is the default amount we will charge until we receive a fully completed overseas assessment form. This will be added on to your account as arrears until we establish your income.

Thanks, Ferne
Reply 10
Original post by Ferne SFE
Hi there,

The fixed monthly repayment is the default amount we will charge until we receive a fully completed overseas assessment form. This will be added on to your account as arrears until we establish your income.

Thanks, Ferne

Can a person opt for paying the fixed amount every month once they start working?
(edited 4 years ago)
Can a person opt for paying the fixed amount every month once they start working?

Hi there,

No, the amount you repay will be based on your income.

Thanks, Ferne
Reply 12
Thank you. For foreign/overseas payments, is the repayment amount due still 9% of salary minus threshold for that country Or 9% of all salary ?
Thank you. For foreign/overseas payments, is the repayment amount due still 9% of salary minus threshold for that country Or 9% of all salary ?

Hi there,

Overseas repayments are calculated the exact same way as if you are in the UK. You will pay 9% of anything you earn over the repayment threshold. For more information about how your repayments are calculated you can view this online here: www.gov.uk/slc

Thanks, Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending