The Student Room Group

A level Maths, Economics + ?

Definitely want to do Maths and Economics. Can't decide on 3rd - narrowed it down to Psychology, Geography or PE. Any advice welcome.
Reply 1
I am exactly in the same situation as you. I have fully decided on maths and economics, however, as for my third subject, I am still considering between further maths, accounting and business studies.

TBH it all depends on what interests you the most and what will help your career. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
I've been advised not to do Economics and Business Studies together
Original post by Pistas
I am exactly in the same situation as you. I have fully decided on maths and economics, however, as for my third subject, I am still considering between further maths, accounting and business studies.

TBH it all depends on what interests you the most and what will help your career. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Same here. Apparently, universities consider them the same.
Original post by HMDN12
I've been advised not to do Economics and Business Studies together
Reply 4
Do further maths if you like maths and do psychology if you don’t like coursework (as I believe geography has a long coursework)

I did maths, Further Maths and economics and just finished my a levels btw
if i was you i would do Geography it links well with Economics
Original post by HMDN12
Definitely want to do Maths and Economics. Can't decide on 3rd - narrowed it down to Psychology, Geography or PE. Any advice welcome.

It depends a lot on your career aspirations but if you want to go to a top uni I would be wary about choosing PE. If you might want to choose Maths or Economics at uni, Further Maths would be better - but out of the ones you have listed, I would rate them Geography, Psychology, PE.
Reply 7
Thanks. Also heard some unis think Maths, Further Maths and Economics too narrow.
Original post by timif1
Do further maths if you like maths and do psychology if you don’t like coursework (as I believe geography has a long coursework)

I did maths, Further Maths and economics and just finished my a levels btw
Original post by HMDN12
Thanks. Also heard some unis think Maths, Further Maths and Economics too narrow.

That is not true if you want to study Maths or Economics, the combination is fine even for Cambridge. You can check by emailing or phoning Admissions at any unis you are considering
Geography or psychology will be more highly regarded than PE, and opens up more doors for you.
Reply 10
Think it's LSE that don't like it
Original post by harrysbar
That is not true if you want to study Maths or Economics, the combination is fine even for Cambridge. You can check by emailing or phoning Admissions at any unis you are considering
Reply 11
Think it's LSE that don't like it - will check
Original post by HMDN12
Think it's LSE that don't like it - will check

LSE have indicated that they have a problem with it in the past but this is what it currently says on their website for the BSc Economics "Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential and if taken at A level is acceptable as one of the three subjects".

But you can check with their Admissions if LSE is a likely option for you.
Reply 13
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information
It says Maths, Further Maths + essay writing subject ok. Is Economics an essay writing subject?
LSE have indicated that they have a problem with it in the past but this is what it currently says on their website for the BSc Economics "Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential and if taken at A level is acceptable as one of the three subjects".

But you can check with their Admissions if LSE is a likely option for you.
Original post by HMDN12
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information
It says Maths, Further Maths + essay writing subject ok. Is Economics an essay writing subject?

Well it is and it isn't - you would write short essays in Economics but not the sort of thing you would write in English Lit or History. I can't imagine Economics not being acceptable but check with Admissions if you're worried or better still, attend an LSE Open Day.

The bit I quoted in bold was taken from the BSc Economics page btw, not a page giving general admissions advice
(edited 4 years ago)
Programme details
Key facts
Academic year (2019/20) 30 September 2019 - 19 June 2020
Application deadline 15 January 2019
Duration Three years full-time
Applications/offers/intake 2,599/499/226
Availability Closed
Tuition fee UK/EU fee: £9,250 for the first year
Overseas fee: £19,920 for the first year
Programme requirement A level Mathematics. Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential and if taken at A level is acceptable as one of the three subjects
Usual standard offer A level: grades A A A*, with A* in Mathematics
International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 38 points including 7 6 6 at Higher level (with 7 in Mathematics)
English language requirements Proof of your English language proficiency may be required
Location Houghton Street, London
For more information about tuition fees, usual standard offers and entry requirements, see the fees and funding and assessing your application sections below.
I did Maths, Economics Spanish and Media, so I kind of get it.
Maths will take up a bit of time so I would suggest doing something you enjoy (so I picked Media). I think Geography and Psychology are better options, merely because they broaden your options and build helpful skills like research and essay writing skills. Geography would go very well with Economics, but Psychology is a big hit in my school - people are always telling me it’s very interesting.
I would suggest trying to take on all 4 (Geography, Economics, Psychology and Maths) and you can drop one you don’t like at the start of year 12 or the end of year 12. I’m so glad I was able to do that because it allowed me to drop a subject I despised (maths!). If you feel it may be too much then I will still suggest Geography or Psychology.
Best of luck x
Reply 17
Original post by HMDN12

No. I got offers from top unis with that

Quick Reply