The Student Room Group

Does your CV contain any lies?

And did the lie/lies help you get a job?
No it doesnt, is tempting though as have applied to about 100 part time jobs and never got one :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
No it doesnt, is tempting though as have applied to about 100 part time jobs and never got one :rolleyes:

Does your CV not show any job experience?
Original post by bloomer36

No

because the jobs/internships I apply to require third party vetting/background checks. You can be caught out incredibly easily.

If you start making up lies, and your employer hands you a task that anyone with those particular (false) experience(s) can complete, but you can't, you're just going to piss them off and fail probation.
(edited 4 years ago)
Does your CV not show any job experience?

No as i cant get a job to get experience
I think a lot of people lie about their qualitys 🤷*♀️
Almost everybody exaggerates on their CV but I wouldn't recommend outright lying, because that could very easily be caught out in an interview. Especially if you don't have any experience.

Make sure that you are prepared to explain in detail every bullet point on your CV. If you can't then take it off.
Reply 7
Don't need to lie on it.
Reply 8
Original post by CoolCavy
No as i cant get a job to get experience

This is why I made this post... Because, employers won't employ someone with no experience yet the applicant needs the job for experience, so, I think small lies on the CV are sometimes necessary. Also, to be honest, I'm sure many many people lie on their CVs and add job experience that they don't have, so people like you, who don't lie, unfortunately don't get a fair chance. So I guess what I'm saying is...you kinda have to lie sometimes.
No, most of the jobs I have applied/apply for require a full and complete employment history (explaining all gaps), DBS checks, and thorough background checks.

If you lie on a job application and the employer uses the information in that lie as reason to employ you, then they have a straightforward case for gross misconduct and immediate dismissal if they ever find out. So if you do tell a lie, make sure you can hold that lie, 100% of the time, with all colleagues and circumstances, throughout your employment.

Dismissal for gross misconduct is much, much harder to recover from than lack of experience, when it comes to employment.
Yes, I applied the truthful or 'right' way and got no where. I applied for just over three years, although I had some interviews but I wouldn't get any call backs or further feedback on my interviews. When I did, I was told I lacked experience. I do admit, that I did make mistakes and didn't do well in some interviews because I lacked confidence and self esteem.

I had no experience but I was enthusiastic about getting a retail role. I got rejected by mcdonalds and kfc etc.

I got desperate and considered applying to cleaning jobs because the back-to-back rejections lowered my self esteem even more. Even then, I got rejected from a cleaning role at premier inn.

I had enough. I lied and eventually got the job I wanted in retail. I had done some work experience in yr10 with a retail shop, didn't say it was work experience but made it look like consistent part-time work by exaggerating the duration of employment (changing the dates).

I was lucky though, because I was very close to getting caught, but the assistant manager actually signed off my references and said that I should keep this secret between the two of us, as they hadn't heard back from them.

They were never going to hear from my references anyway because they were my friends email addresses lol and we were all scared.

Quick Reply