The Student Room Group

International: When do I apply to UCAS?

I'm an International student. I sit my university exams in November (2019), and the results come out during December-January. Usually after Christmas, but if the Authority is nice to us can sometimes come out before Christmas.

I'm planning on taking a gap year, so I'm interested in studying in 2021.

I'm a bit confused when to apply to the UCAS because of the dates on their website.

"15th October 2019 for 2020 entry & 15th January 2020 for 2020 Entry."

Does that mean I'll need to apply for 2021 in October of 2020? Or can I apply in January in 2020 and specific a gap year and begin study in 2021?

Edit:
I just read the Deferred Entry to University section of the UCSA website. An example they've given is "you could apply in September 2018 to start university in September 2020". Does that mean I apply in January of 2019 to start university in September of 2021?
(edited 4 years ago)
Applications via ucas have different deadlines. If you are applying to Oxford, Cambridge or certain subjects like Medicine or Dentistry your application would need to be received to by ucas by October so you can go to university the following year eg October 2019 for September 2020. For other subjects and university your application needs to be received by January for the same September entry ie Jan 2020 to go to university in September 2020. You apply with predicted grades and submit your actual when received. Some people prefer to defer going to university for a year so instead of going in September 2020 will not go until September 2021 but the dates of September 2019 and January 2020 will still apply. The dates given are the dates to be given equal consideration and it is deadline. Many people apply well before the January deadline.
Original post by Shenie
I'm an International student. I sit my university exams in November (2019), and the results come out during December-January. Usually after Christmas, but if the Authority is nice to us can sometimes come out before Christmas.

I'm planning on taking a gap year, so I'm interested in studying in 2021.

I'm a bit confused when to apply to the UCAS because of the dates on their website.

"15th October 2019 for 2020 entry & 15th January 2020 for 2020 Entry."

Does that mean I'll need to apply for 2021 in October of 2020? Or can I apply in January in 2020 and specific a gap year and begin study in 2021?

Edit:
I just read the Deferred Entry to University section of the UCSA website. An example they've given is "you could apply in September 2018 to start university in September 2020". Does that mean I apply in January of 2019 to start university in September of 2021?
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for your reply.

So does that mean I still apply in January 2020 and then defer a year after being accepted?
Original post by swanseajack1
Applications via ucas have different deadlines. If you are applying to Oxford, Cambridge or certain subjects like Medicine or Dentistry your application would need to be received to by ucas by October so you can go to university the following year eg October 2019 for September 2020. For other subjects and university your application needs to be received by January for the same September entry ie Jan 2020 to go to university in September 2020. You apply with predicted grades and submit your actual when received. Some people prefer to defer going to university for a year so instead of going in September 2020 will not go until September 2021 but the dates of September 2019 and January 2020 will still apply. The dates given are the dates to be given equal consideration and it is deadline. Many people apply well before the January deadline.
its your choice you can either apply in Jan 2020 and ask for deferment or apply in Jan 2021 in the normal way. Just remember Jan is the deadline for equal consideration. Most apply earlier and you can apply later but universities will only consider you if they still have places available.
Original post by Shenie
Hi, thanks for your reply.

So does that mean I still apply in January 2020 and then defer a year after being accepted?
Reply 4
My exams are in November and results release in December. So I can only apply right after the release of my results, thats if I were to apply before January 2020. Does that mean I might have a disadvantage?... I have also read that it is best to apply then ask for a gap year, so thats why I'm so confused.
its your choice you can either apply in Jan 2020 and ask for deferment or apply in Jan 2021 in the normal way. Just remember Jan is the deadline for equal consideration. Most apply earlier and you can apply later but universities will only consider you if they still have places available.
Any application received before the January deadline receives equal consideration whether it is 1 October or 1January. You dont need your results to be able to apply. You can apply with predicted grades. Universities will make offers on these which you will need to meet when your results are announced. Uk applicants dont get their results until the August before commencing in September and nearly everyone applies using predicted grades.
Reply 6
Thanks so much for your explanation! It makes so much sense now.
Any application received before the January deadline receives equal consideration whether it is 1 October or 1January. You dont need your results to be able to apply. You can apply with predicted grades. Universities will make offers on these which you will need to meet when your results are announced. Uk applicants dont get their results until the August before commencing in September and nearly everyone applies using predicted grades.
Most internationals dont get results until May or later. You are unusual in getting results so early.
Original post by Shenie
Thanks so much for your explanation! It makes so much sense now.
Reply 8
It's the Australian curriculum, so I don't find it unusual.
Most internationals dont get results until May or later. You are unusual in getting results so early.
It is just most students dont get their results until well after the deadline so can only apply with predicted grades. You getting your so early is unusual for applicants to UK universities and having your actual grades so early has added to the confusion with dates.
Original post by Shenie
It's the Australian curriculum, so I don't find it unusual.
Reply 10
I see what you mean, and it makes a lot more sense now.
It is just most students dont get their results until well after the deadline so can only apply with predicted grades. You getting your so early is unusual for applicants to UK universities and having your actual grades so early has added to the confusion with dates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending