The Student Room Group

Northern Independence

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexty28
What is your ****ing problem. Why are you trying to make it a competition? I was saying that some of us down south have had it hard trying to get through life, and many people in my local community won't even make it to Uni unlike you due to the awful schools, high crime rates and impoverished living. You are making a complete mockery of the problem with working class Britain with your ******** northern independence. And not everyone up North is poor either, there are some very wealthy areas.

Only 2 people from my college of 2000 made it to uni. Also compare those wealthy areas to the wealthy areas of the south and you see the difference.

I agree not everyone in the south is rich, but you're richer than us overall. Thats why we need to separate, after the south collapses perhaps a new government could form that actually cares for all her people and not just London. We are joint suffers in this.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Everyone is litterally dying...

As for the north, you are doing better statistically than you were 30 years ago.. 50 years ago.. 100 years ago.. etc.

You are not dying... you just are not prospering by as much as the south.

How? By doing the same thing every other region does.. there is a scotish indepdance party, a yorkshire one, a cornish one, a welsh one etc. All with different levels of success, if the north wants indiepdance, it can vote for it.

Do you know the problem with your article.. it only looks at transport investment. I quoted you total tax expenditure for a reason, because cherry picking different types of spending isn't useful to an overal debate. It also doesn't include a comparison to wealth generated. Fore example it could be that london gets 63bn more in spending then the north, but generates 100bn more in tax revenue.. in which case, despite getting more spending, they are still subsidisng the north, and getting less as a percentage of income. I don't know if that's true, but the point is that just quoting an individual spending statistic doesn't make your point.

"I think life expectancy will increase once we start investing in our own areas again"

Investing with what money? Currently the north spends 50+Bn more then it generates each year, thanks to the subsidy from the south.. with that gone, what extra money are you investing? You seem to have this idea that the north is not getting enough money, despite proof that they are spending more then they generate, whilst the south spends less than it generates. Its boardering on delusional.

"its about freedom"

Freedom doesn't feed your elderly, pay for your schools or protect your boarders.. the souths money does that.

And with that last sentence. You just proved every point I've made. You do not rule over us, times may be harder at first but eventually we would emerge stronger and free.

Just to show you how wrong you are here's an article about spending in real terms: https://www.ft.com/content/eb73fe92-f7d7-11e8-af46-2022a0b02a6c

Heres an article on education discrepancies: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-england-uk-north-south-divide-a8450136.html

And here's one on healthcare: https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/north-south-health-divide-shown/

As you'll notice all of these articles have a similar theme. All the problems were caused by the south. Literally any article will tell you the same and I beg you to try and find one that doesn't.

#FreeTheNorth
Devolution, not separation.

More regional powers given to areas in the North to control for themselves.

Anything else is suicide.
Original post by Drewski
Devolution, not separation.

More regional powers given to areas in the North to control for themselves.

Anything else is suicide.

You might be right but that wouldn't fix the problem with the attitudes of the south towards the north nor the major discrepancies between our regions all of which are caused by the south as it is.
Original post by TomSmith12345
You might be right but that wouldn't fix the problem with the attitudes of the south towards the north nor the major discrepancies between our regions all of which are caused by the south as it is.

If you're going for a change of attitudes then you're deluded.

No, the discrepancies are caused by a lack of investment in certain areas. Give regional powers the ability to use a budget locally and that will change.
North England and Scotland need to be part of something bigger? But if they joined together they would be part of something bigger then England... Losing both Scotland and North England would finally topple London and end their bullying and disregard for our sacrifices. The EU is an issue that will have to be contended with as I'm not sure how an independent North would function yet (its a relatively new idea) but I am almost sure that we would rather the EU than Westminster (thats how bad it is at the moment).

The world may be pushing closer together- but that doesn't mean we should allow oppression for the sake of togetherness. We should fight it when and where we have to fight it. We should fight for a free North.

Yeah scotland would be so much better than London - the SNP have just shown so much concern for other regions besides scotland in both policy and politics/s

Wouldn't it be more productive for English regions (and Wales etc) outside of the SE London bubble to collectively work together to petition for less centralisation of business, finance and media in London?
This article makes some good points on how the current imbalance is becoming more harmful to the economy than beneficial - https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/oct/05/the-finance-curse-how-the-outsized-power-of-the-city-of-london-makes-britain-poorer
Original post by Drewski
If you're going for a change of attitudes then you're deluded.

No, the discrepancies are caused by a lack of investment in certain areas. Give regional powers the ability to use a budget locally and that will change.

The local budget would probably be set by London though so very little would change
The local budget would probably be set by London though so very little would change

Local budget would be a function of tax income from the area, so would be representative of the population.
Original post by Drewski
Local budget would be a function of tax income from the area, so would be representative of the population.

Seems like this would favour urban areas much more than rural areas which the north is made up of? High populations in small areas don't need as much infrastructure investment as a medium population spread over a very large area
What constitutes 'the North' to you?
Original post by ThatJosh
What constitutes 'the North' to you?

Most of the petitions I saw drew a line along the river Dee and the mouth of the humber but to be honest everyone north of London wants to be classed as a northerner so I guess its up for debate
Most of the petitions I saw drew a line along the river Dee and the mouth of the humber but to be honest everyone north of London wants to be classed as a northerner so I guess its up for debate

Do they *******s
Original post by Drewski
Do they *******s

Guessing you've not been to uni then hahaha
Guessing you've not been to uni then hahaha

:rolleyes:
Grow up, kid.

Been to uni. In the North. And from the North myself. And I know just how tribal people can be. Your anecdotes are not representative of the country. There are a great many people who take pride in being midlanders. There are a great many people who think the South stretches a long way towards the middle of England.

Don't come here preaching your bs if you can't accept that different groups of people think differently on this matter.
I did find one petition with about 60K signatures asking for northern England to become a part of Scotland. To be honest I'd rather that than have Londoners continue to think they're the whole UK. So maybe we're after the same thing

To be honest, the likes of Newcastle were actually apart of Scotland hundreds of years ago that's why a lot of Northerners use the same words as us. London is nothing like the rest of the UK it's very different to Scotland.
Bring back the Heptarchy!

:soap:
:mob:
Absolutely not, even devolving powers to scotland was a terrible idea.
Only 2 people from my college of 2000 made it to uni. Also compare those wealthy areas to the wealthy areas of the south and you see the difference.

I agree not everyone in the south is rich, but you're richer than us overall. Thats why we need to separate, after the south collapses perhaps a new government could form that actually cares for all her people and not just London. We are joint suffers in this.

You need to take your blinkers off Thomas.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Absolutely not, even devolving powers to scotland was a terrible idea.

Sounds pretty imperialist mate
Reply 59
Original post by AyrshireStudent
To be honest, the likes of Newcastle were actually apart of Scotland hundreds of years ago that's why a lot of Northerners use the same words as us. London is nothing like the rest of the UK it's very different to Scotland.

In terms of most surveys on social attitudes, London is closer to Scotland than the rest of England. Personally I've links to Scotland and London/SE - everything in between is really just an occasional place to visit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending