Irish, because Ireland isn't part of Great Britain
Reply 2
Ok thanks. What are the people of Northern Ireland then
Original post by DrawTheLine
Irish or European. not British.
Original post by sloanciara

They are Northern Irish. Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain but is part of the UK, though.
Reply 5
People in NI have the right to identify as Irish or British.
They are Northern Irish. Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain but is part of the UK, though.

Although many are adamant that they are either British or Irish depending on which side of the divide they fall on.

Suggesting otherwise may provoke a violent response.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Although many are adamant that they are either British or Irish depending on which side of the divide they fall on.

Suggesting otherwise may provoke a violent response.

It's up to them to call themselves what they want. But Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain no matter how people respond!
They're Irish at heart.

up the ra?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9

these are two different countries
Original post by Eva32

Which two countries are you referring to here?
Original post by Eva32

Great Britain is an island, not a country. In fact, Great Britain hasn't been a sovereign state since 1801.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
People in NI have the right to identify as Irish or British.

That really, prob best to let people make their own minds up.
Reply 13
Original post by StriderHort
That really, prob best to let people make their own minds up.

It is a key part of the GFA: people born in the counties can identify as Irish, British, both and can consequently hold citizenship of either or both.
Original post by gjd800
It is a key part of the GFA: people born in the counties can identify as Irish, British, both and can consequently hold citizenship of either or both.

Fair, not really my thing, but I'm Scottish, so reserve the right to identify as Scottish or British, whichever suits me best at the time, but i'll kick up fk over anyone trying to tell me which I am.
Reply 15
Southern Ireland is called the republic of Ireland, it is a sovereign state.so, therefore, it is a country of its own. Norhern Ireland is a part of British.

British, because NI's part of the UK.
Please help lol

this is a complex political issue where people where both sides of the border there are multiple opinions. There was a an on-going war/terrorist plot about till 1998 known as the troubles fighting about this issue.

At current status:
-Northern Ireland: people can be either or both
-Republic of Ireland: Irish (im not sure if they can also identify as British, but i don't think they can)

Generally Republic of Ireland / the southern area is Irish
Is this really the state of the British education system?... Christ.
Reply 19
Some people from ni would say they are Irish and some would say British or Northern Irish. Which are they??

Latest