The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology 2019 Textbooks

Could you give your opinion on what is the best revision guide for A level biology year 1
Or both years if it includes them.

Here are some factors that would be better:
-Includes a good number of questions
-Includes every single thing that you need to know for biology.
-A good and easy-to-read layout

thanks
Which exam board?
Original post by The_Wassa
Could you give your opinion on what is the best revision guide for A level biology year 1

thanks
AQA (it's in the title xd)
Original post by AlwaysPotter
Which exam board?
Sorry I didn't notice :biggrin:
AQA (it's in the title xd)
Oh yeah it's fine

Do you have an answer?

I am trying to somewhat prepare for A level biology for Sept 2019 and I think learning using the text book is better because I need to understand it rather than learning summarised notes.
Sorry I do OCR, but the standard textbook should be fine. The one I have for OCR has questions at the end of each section eg. microscopy, then the end of the chapter eg. basic components of living systems, then end of module so module 2. There are also practice questions at the very end too. I think AQA is similar because I do AQA chemistry and have the textbook for that too.

Which year are you starting this September?
Oh yeah it's fine

Do you have an answer?

I am trying to somewhat prepare for A level biology for Sept 2019 and I think learning using the text book is better because I need to understand it rather than learning summarised notes.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-Level-Student-Book/dp/0198351771/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1NY4XV0WLGDHW&keywords=aqa+a+level+biology&qid=1562094913&s=gateway&sprefix=aqa+a%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-2

This is fairly expensive but the equivalent biology textbook to the chemistry one I have
Oh yeah it's fine

Do you have an answer?

Thank you for your time, I actually looked into this textbook and it did appear the best.
Considering the price I just asked here to see if it would be recommended the best
Thanks I will probably buy this, so expensive though!
It is fine :biggrin: my chemistry one is really useful so... enjoy studying? Is it your first or second year of sixth form?
Thank you for your time, I actually looked into this textbook and it did appear the best.
Considering the price I just asked here to see if it would be recommended the best
Thanks I will probably buy this, so expensive though!

thanks

The best revision guide has to be the CGP. Your college might encourage you to buy their recommended textbook, but everybody I know (including myself) rarely ever used it. I personally wouldn't bother wasting the £50 and would just stick to the revision guide - it has everything you need to know in a concise fashion, with a fair amount of practice questions which could be coupled with the CGP workbook too.
you can check this website called PDF drive it has most books for a levels
I just finished my GCSEs

I am 15 for another 2 months (until 27 of august) and my results come on the 22nd of august so I can't really get a job that suits me or would fit my future
so I am using some (basically little) time to read ahead and maybe learn the first chapter of biology? Who knows lol, all i heard was that it is a lot to learn
I'm just doing this so I don't waste my time and get some productivity done over the summer
It is fine :biggrin: my chemistry one is really useful so... enjoy studying? Is it your first or second year of sixth form?
That's annoying about the job. The reading ahead sounds like a good idea, and if I could go back to summer of year 11 I would look at university summer schools too because I had no time once term started! Even if you don't know which subject just have a look at which unis have them and what the requirements are. Also if you want to do science look at possible work experience places too eg. in a lab in a hospital
I just finished my GCSEs

I am 15 for another 2 months (until 27 of august) and my results come on the 22nd of august so I can't really get a job that suits me or would fit my future
so I am using some (basically little) time to read ahead and maybe learn the first chapter of biology? Who knows lol, all i heard was that it is a lot to learn
I'm just doing this so I don't waste my time and get some productivity done over the summer
Yep I am looking to do work in either a care home, hospice or a GP for a field in medicine.
Also, I am aiming to go to cambridge university, does that mean I have to do my summer school there?
That's annoying about the job. The reading ahead sounds like a good idea, and if I could go back to summer of year 11 I would look at university summer schools too because I had no time once term started! Even if you don't know which subject just have a look at which unis have them and what the requirements are. Also if you want to do science look at possible work experience places too eg. in a lab in a hospital
Not necessarily, I really struggled to get into summer schools because of access criteria and my postcode despite my family's low income so I'm going to a fairly local uni for summer school and I want to apply for biology at Oxford. It is really just about the experience and what you learn. I think Cambridge is Sutton Trust so I'd have a look at that and there's UNIQ too which is Oxford
Yep I am looking to do work in either a care home, hospice or a GP for a field in medicine.
Also, I am aiming to go to cambridge university, does that mean I have to do my summer school there?

Quick Reply

Latest