The Student Room Group

Should Argentina own the Falkland Islands?

Scroll to see replies

Of course Argentina don't own them, we own them and rightfully so, Argentina should be cleaning its own backyard first before putting their noses elsewhere.
Original post by TheRareSamuel
Hmm..

Obviously not, the people of the islands don’t want to be anything but British.
Reply 22
I believe in self-determination.

If the people on The Falkland Islands want to remain British, then that's up to them in my opinion.

What right do distant governments have to own people's lands?
Argentina would not want the Falkland Islands. They might want the Malvinas though.
Personally I don't care a dam, it's a useless colony anyway. If the Falkland people want to remain British why not let them remain British?
Original post by barnetlad
Argentina would not want the Falkland Islands. They might want the Malvinas though.

Malvinas don’t exist. They are the Falklands.
In simple, Argentina's claim is not logical as well as legal. Let Great Britains ownership be maintained!
Reply 27
Original post by DavidCameron12
In simple, Argentina's claim is not logical as well as legal. Let Great Britains ownership be maintained!

In fairness to them its perfectly logical, the islands are next door to them after all. That doesnt make it worthy of entertaining it but nevertheless.
Original post by Palmyra
Of course Argentina are the rightful owners of Las Malvinas.

Can you say what you base this on? I've studied the history fairly closely and it appears to me that the various claims are at best muddy. Argentina's historical claim appears to be no more strongly based in fact that Britain's. That leaves us with modern realities and the need to respect the democratic wishes of the people living there.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Can you say what you base this on? I've studied the history fairly closely and it appears to me that the various claims are at best muddy. Argentina's historical claim appears to be no more strongly based in fact that Britain's. That leaves us with modern realities and the need to respect the democratic wishes of the people living there.

And they wish to remain British.

Argentina’s claim is basically, the islands are close to us.
Original post by Andrew97
And they wish to remain British.

Argentina’s claim is basically, the islands are close to us.

Argentina's basic claim is that the American privateer Jowett made a legitimate claim in 1823 when he landed a small force there in a ship that was in trouble. It was a private sector venture nominally under the control of one of Argentina's predecessor states, the United Provinces of the River Plate. The UPRP didn't even know about the claim at the time, which was a classic piece of dodgy piratical land grabbing. The British had been there before, but it was essentially a Spanish territory before that. All of the subsequent claims are highly doubtful. In reality, it was never properly resolved under international law.
Original post by ByEeek
Why? It is a desolate infertile group of islands with no strategic interest any more. Argentina only want them back for thecsame reasons as you would want your unfertile fallow field back if a load of travellers set up camp on it. E.g. For a point of principal.

Britains only real claim to sovereignty is the fact that people who claim to be British live there. And that is a pretty weak argument by modern standards.

so oil and a bigger claim on Antarctica are not strategically important? ok
Reply 33
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Wouldn't the basic claim come down to who has guns on the island? i.e. the British in this case. I mean, apologies for using such a trite remark but possession is 9/10th of the law. no?
Original post by Baron of Sealand
so oil and a bigger claim on Antarctica are not strategically important? ok

Oh of course. But is that really the 21st C way of doing things? Because if that is the world we live in I'll be round yours with some guns and armoured vehicles to take everything your home and all you have for myself. And if you complain I will say it is my strategic interest.

Because that is what it actually boils down to.
(edited 4 years ago)
Only if the inhabitants of the falklands want argentina to be which they dont by recent polls conducted
Original post by ByEeek
Oh of course. But is that really the 21st C way of doing things? Because if that is the world we live in I'll be round yours with some guns and armoured vehicles to take everything your home and all you have for myself. And if you complain I will say it is my strategic interest.

Because that is what it actually boils down to.

The 21st century way of doing things would be more favorable to the status quo. Who's actually controlling the islands right now? What do the inhabitants think?

Who are the people who are going to be trying to take it with guns?
Reply 37
Original post by Baron of Sealand
The 21st century way of doing things would be more favorable to the status quo.

I wasn't aware a mass aerial bombardment or 'shock and awe' would be overly favourable in this instance?
Obviously, Yes! but it would be happen that much easily
I suppose we could ask the falklanders if they want to be part of us or argentina. My own thought if is we shouldn't give falklands or gibraltar back both are great resources for our military
Original post by TheRareSamuel
Hmm..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending