The Student Room Group

whats the best way of losing weight?

I wanted to know what the most efficient way for losing weight was. I had planned to run 5k everyday over my upcoming summer holidays however I am unsure whether or not this will be effective. Currently I weigh 68kg at the age of 15. :frown:
Ideally my aim is to reduce the size of my stomach.
Thank you for reading this and please reply with suggestions!
:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

The best way.....
Eating less and doing so much exercise.
Not practical but still the best way.
Reply 2
Original post by IOSOME
I wanted to know what the most efficient way for losing weight was. I had planned to run 5k everyday over my upcoming summer holidays however I am unsure whether or not this will be effective. Currently I weigh 68kg at the age of 15. :frown:

Alright then thanks! It seems that watching what I eat is a main reoccurring factor
Reply 3
thank you guys too!

Original post by Satyr
The best way.....
Eating nothing and doing so much exercise.
Not practical but still the best way.
Reply 4
how tall are you if I may ask? I say because weight is more associated with height than age really. 68kg may very well be healthy for you.
A meal a day keeps the fat away.

Well that’s what I heard at least
Hey, i have lost a lot of weight recently. I knew that 80/90% of it is what you eat and then you do the exercited to keep fit and toned and loose that bit extra. I think reducing your portion sizes is a massive thing that really helps. Then obvs just eating heathly so instead of having mainly carbs as my meal i have mostly veg or ssalad then a little bit of carb and some protein. Then i did the classes i enjoyed most at the gym so this was body pump (weights) and combat (cardio). I hope this helps! Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Sophia
Original post by IOSOME
Reply 7
At your age don't look to lose rapid amounts of weight, its not good and could ruin your metabolism. In the next year or 2 you'll grow a lot. Eat at or just below your TDEE and exercise a lot more. Maybe do a month MAXIMUM of a daily 300-500 calorie deficit and do a lot of cardio, then return to your TDEE and begin eating lots of protein and carbs (at a ratio of Protein 40, carbs 40, fat 20), begin at your TDEE and learn weight training, once you're confident and know a good amount of exercises eat at a 500 calorie surplus to gain muscle and step up accordingly.

You have the advantage of:
Still growing leading to body re-composition
Not reaching peak hormones, Testosterone will melt fat off and change your body composition
Having little to no lean mass, which means you have little to no muscle mass and high body fat % which will fall rapidly with minimal lean mass (maths) AND beginners gains, you can easily gain 20lbs+ of muscle in your first year.

Focus on being healthy and your body will 'self correct' at your age, no need for harsh diets.
Reply 8
I am 5ft 5 inches :smile:
Original post by Arima
how tall are you if I may ask? I say because weight is more associated with height than age really. 68kg may very well be healthy for you.
Reply 9
Thank you this has been helpful since its reinforcing the information that I'm being told. I wanted to ask what kind of exercises you did?
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey, i have lost a lot of weight recently. I knew that 80/90% of it is what you eat and then you do the exercited to keep fit and toned and loose that bit extra. I think reducing your portion sizes is a massive thing that really helps. Then obvs just eating heathly so instead of having mainly carbs as my meal i have mostly veg or ssalad then a little bit of carb and some protein. Then i did the classes i enjoyed most at the gym so this was body pump (weights) and combat (cardio). I hope this helps! Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Sophia
Reply 10
Would you recommend just stop losing weight when I reach the average weight for a child of my age or just dont bother at all?
Original post by 3121
At your age don't look to lose rapid amounts of weight, its not good and could ruin your metabolism. In the next year or 2 you'll grow a lot. Eat at or just below your TDEE and exercise a lot more. Maybe do a month MAXIMUM of a daily 300-500 calorie deficit and do a lot of cardio, then return to your TDEE and begin eating lots of protein and carbs (at a ratio of Protein 40, carbs 40, fat 20), begin at your TDEE and learn weight training, once you're confident and know a good amount of exercises eat at a 500 calorie surplus to gain muscle and step up accordingly.

You have the advantage of:
Still growing leading to body re-composition
Not reaching peak hormones, Testosterone will melt fat off and change your body composition
Having little to no lean mass, which means you have little to no muscle mass and high body fat % which will fall rapidly with minimal lean mass (maths) AND beginners gains, you can easily gain 20lbs+ of muscle in your first year.

Focus on being healthy and your body will 'self correct' at your age, no need for harsh diets.
Once you reach a healthy weight, stop. What’s your goal? 60kg?
Reply 12
Yeah, about 60kg. Since according to NHS bmi calculator thats a healthy weight!
Original post by nabilahhh
Once you reach a healthy weight, stop. What’s your goal? 60kg?
Reply 13
Original post by IOSOME
Would you recommend just stop losing weight when I reach the average weight for a child of my age or just dont bother at all?

Somewhere in between, add a few inches, 3-5 to your BMI and aim to be in the middle-lower part of the weight. Then focus on holding that weight in terms of fat but growing in terms of muscle.

Body fat % is more useful than BMI but harder to calculate. Most things are an estimate and different methods will give different results but losing fat = fall body fat %, gaining muscle = fall body fat %, and gaining muscle will lead to making future fat loss much easier and give a body you’re more proud of
Do not listen to the advice that you should be missing out meals, that’s not going to help you.

I think the biggest thing to help with reducing your weight is adjusting your diet. You need to cut out things like junk food and try have proper meals.

As you’re still in school, join sports teams - that’s a good way of excising. If you’re planning on going to the gym, I’d recommend doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) cardio
Reply 15
wow thank you I really appreciate the help. I didn't even think of body fat %
Original post by 3121
Somewhere in between, add a few inches, 3-5 to your BMI and aim to be in the middle-lower part of the weight. Then focus on holding that weight in terms of fat but growing in terms of muscle.

Body fat % is more useful than BMI but harder to calculate. Most things are an estimate and different methods will give different results but losing fat = fall body fat %, gaining muscle = fall body fat %, and gaining muscle will lead to making future fat loss much easier and give a body you’re more proud of
Your still quite young I'm nearly 4 years older than you and I feel very much the same weighing over 80kg and been on the bigger size since I was about 14 . My advice would be do activities you enjoy to lose weight and don't become obsessed. Focus on your gcses and enjoying your childhood rather than putting pressure on yourself which is why I recommend a sport or activity. Regardless , enjoy being 15 deal with weightloss later on meanwhile just try to maintain a healthier lifestyle if you wish too
Reply 17
this is pretty reassuring so ty :biggrin:
Original post by Emma1999_
Your still quite young I'm nearly 4 years older than you and I feel very much the same weighing over 80kg and been on the bigger size since I was about 14 . My advice would be do activities you enjoy to lose weight and don't become obsessed. Focus on your gcses and enjoying your childhood rather than putting pressure on yourself which is why I recommend a sport or activity. Regardless , enjoy being 15 deal with weightloss later on meanwhile just try to maintain a healthier lifestyle if you wish too
Original post by IOSOME

The best way to lose weight is by eating a clean diet and doing an ample amount of exercise. Your diet is the most important part of it all though because you can exercise every day and not lose weight if you aren't eating right. The goal is to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day, which is pretty simple, however, there is a right and wrong way to do it. Though calorie consumption is second to none, you want to eat healthy foods, since you will be able to eat more than you would by eating fast food. You should also drink half of your body weight in ounces of water per day. So if you weigh 150 pounds, you should drink 75 ounces per day. I found this article that gives more examples of how to lose weight: https://www.openfit.com/eat-way-great-abs-7-tips
Reply 19
If I simply ran everyday and eat healthy foods everyday with the occasional unhealthy food in moderation: would that be an effective way of losing weight? Because currently I just eat junk and dont do much but I dont eat that much to begin with so..?
Original post by StephRadriguez
The best way to lose weight is by eating a clean diet and doing an ample amount of exercise. Your diet is the most important part of it all though because you can exercise every day and not lose weight if you aren't eating right. The goal is to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day, which is pretty simple, however, there is a right and wrong way to do it. Though calorie consumption is second to none, you want to eat healthy foods, since you will be able to eat more than you would by eating fast food. You should also drink half of your body weight in ounces of water per day. So if you weigh 150 pounds, you should drink 75 ounces per day. I found this article that gives more examples of how to lose weight: https://www.openfit.com/eat-way-great-abs-7-tips

Latest