The Student Room Group

Predict your A-Level Results 2019

Scroll to see replies

what kinda school forces u to do 4 or more subjects .....anyways lol?? probs grammar
Original post by MagnumKoishi
On the contrary, most people I've encountered either do three or four subjects, plus further maths as a fourth or fifth.
My college only lets you do FM if you're already doing maths and TWO others, ie you have to be doing four or more subjects if you're doing FM. I assumed it worked like that everywhere
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anonymoussse
what kinda school forces u to do 4 or more subjects .....is it grammar

No, it's a state school- just a normal sixth form. They only force you to do four if you want to do fm
(although it is relatively selective for a state school, it's not a huge college but got 45 oxbridge offers this year)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by anonymoussse
what kinda school forces u to do 4 or more subjects .....anyways lol?? probs grammar

Some state schools do make you do 4 A-Levels not just grammars and private schools. Just saying. :smile:
Further maths gives no advantage in normal maths exams. I do further maths, yet used no techniques outside the single maths spec in my single maths exams.
The fact that 70% of the students do further maths doesn't mean that 70% are advantaged BECAUSE of furher maths. Instead, it means that 70% of the students are likely to already be of fairly high ability and THEREFORE take further maths too

You’re wrong. You learn the normal maths content twice (at least at my school) as a further maths student. Also you get to do more practice on maths. If that’s no advantage I’d love to know why.
Original post by Fsofoxy
Wishing you the best hope you get into med school

Thanks!
Original post by Jamie_1712
You learn the normal maths content twice (at least at my school) as a further maths student.

Definitely not the case at mine. Nothing taught in my fm lessons is directly applicable to single.

Original post by Jamie_1712
Also you get to do more practice on maths

"Get to do"- you can practice maths by revising. Taking fm does not give you an extra opportunity to practise. It just means you're now made to practise in that time slot, instead of having the period to revise in
Original post by _gcx
Idk, even the Edexcel textbook, which isn't the best, has an exercise dedicated to it. The format of the whole textbook is very strange (surely introducing sigma notation would be the first thing that's done), but seems to fit well to the mechanical approach too many teachers adopt. It's on both the old and the new spec so I don't think there's much reason not to be familiar with it.

Method of differences doesn't really require any specific knowledge but was regardless not the intended way to do the question, but log identities mean the two ways are equivalent.

I just don't understand the argument being made. Students who are exposed (or expose themselves) to more maths will naturally do better. This will be the case with further maths students but also plenty of single maths students.

Sigma notation is given enough fair coverage in the textbook and whatnot, but I think the issue that @MagnumKoishi is trying to raise is that while it was a particularly discrimination question and required outside of the box thinking (for which I have no qualms with and I am perfectly fine with), the fact that FM students knew another technique to use which SM didn't made the playing field uneven. SM required use of factorials which would have been VERY hard to notice and use in the exam, especially when compared to what may have been a bit more obvious method of differences which FM could have used. All in all though, I would not be surprised one bit to see the grade boundaries fall quite a fair bit (even the A and A* grades given how surprisingly difficult these papers were). (Sorry about the big chunk of writing, I get a little angsty about Edexcel A-Level maths, I can't stop thinking about the exams :frown:)
Definitely not the case at mine. Nothing taught in fm lessons is directly applicable to single.
“Get to do"- you can practice maths by revising. Taking fm does not give you an extra opportunity to practise. It just means you're now made to practise in that time slot, instead of having the period to revise in

Maybe your school is different, but at mine fm students said they had to learn the maths course before being able to be taught the fm content, so when they then came round to the content in normal maths, they’d already learnt it in fm. This is probably the way my school does it (seems very counter productive though so maybe not a lot of other schools do this).
Seems my school is again different. FM counts as a subject so you can just do 1 other along with maths and fm, meaning no extra frees. The extra opportunity to practice comes from being taught the regular maths content before the rest of us, so they could start practice earlier.
Watch out people. You could jinx your results
True dat they got to separate people even if it’s harsh
Original post by _gcx
The examiners are people too lol. Saying they want to ruin your life is a bit dramatic.
No, it's a state school- just a normal sixth form. They only force you to do four if you want to do fm
(although it is relatively selective for a state school, it's not a huge college but got 45 oxbridge offers this year)

So you go to Brampton Manor?
Original post by _gcx
Don't think so. I just think the paper you do will virtually always seem like the hardest paper you've done so far (unless it's particularly easy maybe) because of the pressure of it being the final thing.

Original post by _gcx
The examiners are people too lol. Saying they want to ruin your life is a bit dramatic.

No one has said the examiners aren’t people. We’re not being literal here. You’re taking it out of context.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
So you go to Brampton Manor?

No. Last year, they only had 20 oxbridge offers according to the cambridge admissions pdf.
I won't say where I go, but I can assure you it's way further north than that
A*A*A*D2 but who knows, could be very different
Best Case:
Computer Science - B
Maths - B
Physics - C

Worst Case:
Computer Science - D
Maths - E
Physics - U

I'm heavily leaning on worst case scenario being the actual grades but who knows, my teachers are very strict on marking hopefully whoever is marking my papers isn't as strict.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 55
Further maths gives no advantage in normal maths exams. I do further maths, yet used no techniques outside the single maths spec in my single maths exams.
The fact that 70% of the students do further maths doesn't mean that 70% are advantaged BECAUSE of furher maths. Instead, it means that 70% of the students are likely to already be of fairly high ability and THEREFORE take further maths too

Sorry but that’s bull s***. Maths is pi** easy if you’re doing F. Maths.
Original post by Boop.
Sorry but that’s bull s***. Maths is pi** easy if you’re doing F. Maths.

Well yeah. But that's only because if you're doing further maths, you're already good at maths. You're getting the cause and effect the wrong way round
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A
Further Maths- A
A levels:
Law: A
English literature: A
Philosophy: B or C (AQA wtf are doing to me those papers were soo hard honestly)
And AAB to get into uni and I'm screwed
Original post by Gabzinc
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A
Further Maths- A

Yeet more further maths. If you're edexcel can you give an estimated score/300, or percentage? (increasing sample size for accurate grade boundary predictions)

Quick Reply

Latest