The Student Room Group

Predicted D*D*D* BTEC ICT , recommendations ?

Hi,

Just finished my first year of my ICT BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma course. My final grades for this year are 8 Ds and 1 M which is for a animation unit. Next year, would most likely end up with similar grades, and get final D*D*D*, but in worst case D*D*D. My problem is the following, due to extremely overestimating my own abilities while doing maths and English GCSEs, got Cs for both. The better Unis look for 6/7/B or above in Maths, but sadly dont have that. Was looking into the following Uni, the first being most desired while the last least:

- King's College London
- Royal Holloway
- Brunel University London
- Queen Mary University of London
- University of West London (Reserve)

I have years behind my back with Graphics Design, 1 decent animation which did in 2014 and also working hard on my programming skills. My hope after graduation is to get into software development, the programming part. Looking into Computer Science courses, not Software Engineering. Thanks in advance !

Scroll to see replies

Resit your Maths to get a higher grade. It will open up more universities for you. If you are interested in cs courses then a better grade in Maths is key. Also many universities require A level Maths in addition to your btec so check that out before applying. Are you restricted to London universities. If you are prepared to travel elsewhere it would greatly increase your options. Your English wont be an issue for most universities for CS.
Reply 2
You could apply for well-regarded universities with lower entry requirements, such as Lancaster, which only requires a C in GCSE maths. The issue with resitting is the time it would take, however, it would help you to recap on your maths and be in a better position once you start university.

What programming have you done in your ICT course? I did the same and my tutor is a software engineer so chose to structure the entire course around it - networking, graphics, software development (programming) etc
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Resit your Maths to get a higher grade. It will open up more universities for you. If you are interested in cs courses then a better grade in Maths is key. Also many universities require A level Maths in addition to your btec so check that out before applying. Are you restricted to London universities. If you are prepared to travel elsewhere it would greatly increase your options. Your English wont be an issue for most universities for CS.

I have spoken with 2 Unis and both said they dont reconsider retakes, which sadly would fall into that. Isn't it possible to get in even without this grade ? If I show exceptional portfolio with my work and maybe get a chance for an interview of some sort ? I can travel up to hour out of Ealing in West London, but if the ranking is really good in the Uni, would go further.

Original post by Ikeo
You could apply for well-regarded universities with lower entry requirements, such as Lancaster, which only requires a C in GCSE maths. The issue with resitting is the time it would take, however, it would help you to recap on your maths and be in a better position once you start university.

What programming have you done in your ICT course? I did the same and my tutor is a software engineer so chose to structure the entire course around it - networking, graphics, software development (programming) etc

We didin't have networking due to the college getting rid of the lab that had the infrastructure for it, I am good when it comes dealing with graphics and have decent animation skills as well. When it comes to programming itself, we did Python and intend to create my first fully coded by me game this summer, using pygame.
(edited 4 years ago)
To be honest the majority of leading universities INSIST on grade A at A level Maths in addition to your BTEC. Having a C at gcse is unlikely to be enough for most universities due to the Mathematical nature of Computer science courses. I know Nottingham, Lancaster and Swansea do not require A level Maths and there are others who accept BTEC without A level Maths but most will require a higher grade than C in Maths. From memory and things might have changed I believe Liverpool, Reading, Royal Holloway, Kent, Sussex and East Anglia accept Btec without the A level in Maths. Where universities show they expect a certain grade in Maths they will not allow you without it. Most universities do accept a resitting of a GCSE as well as A levels.
Reply 5
To be honest the majority of leading universities INSIST on grade A at A level Maths in addition to your BTEC. Having a C at gcse is unlikely to be enough for most universities due to the Mathematical nature of Computer science courses. I know Nottingham, Lancaster and Swansea do not require A level Maths and there are others who accept BTEC without A level Maths but most will require a higher grade than C in Maths. From memory and things might have changed I believe Liverpool, Reading, Royal Holloway, Kent, Sussex and East Anglia accept Btec without the A level in Maths. Where universities show they expect a certain grade in Maths they will not allow you without it. Most universities do accept a resitting of a GCSE as well as A levels.

Ok, so after multiple replies, decided to try and retake my GCSE Maths at the end of this year, if not possible then the summer of 2020. Here is my new list, same as the old one, first the most desired and last least:

- King's College London (Wont cover even with a good GCSE Maths)
- Royal Holloway (Would be able to get in with 6 or above)
- Brunel University London (Could get in with my current grade)
- Queen Mary University of London (Would need to retake as well for 5/6 or above)

My aim is to get the higher GCSE grade and apply for Royal H. , but if even then dont manage to get in, cant decide between Brunel and Queen Mary.
Reply 6
Original post by Dralexus
Hi,

Just finished my first year of my ICT BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma course. My final grades for this year are 8 Ds and 1 M which is for a animation unit. Next year, would most likely end up with similar grades, and get final D*D*D*, but in worst case D*D*D. My problem is the following, due to extremely overestimating my own abilities while doing maths and English GCSEs, got Cs for both. The better Unis look for 6/7/B or above in Maths, but sadly dont have that. Was looking into the following Uni, the first being most desired while the last least:

- King's College London
- Royal Holloway
- Brunel University London
- Queen Mary University of London

I have years behind my back with Graphics Design, 1 decent animation which did in 2014 and also working hard on my programming skills. My hope after graduation is to get into software development, the programming part. Looking into Computer Science courses, not Software Engineering. Thanks in advance !

Why computer science?
Reply 7
Original post by Xarao
Why computer science?

Due to having more prospects and etc. , but mainly because I have been into Computing in general since I know myself. Why not continue my graphics design/animation ? Well, simply love it as a hobby and to do it from time to time, but not as a job.
Reply 8
Due to having more prospects and etc. , but mainly because I have been into Computing in general since I know myself. Why not continue my graphics design/animation ? Well, simply love it as a hobby and to do it from time to time, but not as a job.

That's great and all but from your GCSE grade, I can't see you doing computer science at all.

I know so many people like you, that love programming/designing yet when it comes to doing their degree for computer science, they drop out after the first year because of how maths-intensive the course is and the first year is meant to be the easiest. I'm not saying you can't do it, but you really need to realise that it's going to be a huge struggle (that's if you even get in with a C grade). There's a reason why computer science is on the top of the list for dropouts.

I honestly recommend you check out business computing/software engineering instead of computer science.
Ok, so after multiple replies, decided to try and retake my GCSE Maths at the end of this year, if not possible then the summer of 2020. Here is my new list, same as the old one, first the most desired and last least:

- King's College London (Wont cover even with a good GCSE Maths)
- Royal Holloway (Would be able to get in with 6 or above)
- Brunel University London (Could get in with my current grade)
- Queen Mary University of London (Would need to retake as well for 5/6 or above)

My aim is to get the higher GCSE grade and apply for Royal H. , but if even then dont manage to get in, cant decide between Brunel and Queen Mary.

Unless you retake and get a higher grade before yo apply Kings will be a waste of time applying to. The others will be worth applying to and will likely wait for your Maths GCSE result before confirming your place.
You can easily retake GCSE Maths or English alongside your BTEC - ask at your school/college.
'Retakes' is usually only a rule for A levels. For any STEM/Tech subject you need good Maths - so do it.
Reply 11
Unless you retake and get a higher grade before yo apply Kings will be a waste of time applying to. The others will be worth applying to and will likely wait for your Maths GCSE result before confirming your place.

What Uni would you recommend to replace kings with ?
Original post by returnmigrant
You can easily retake GCSE Maths or English alongside your BTEC - ask at your school/college.
'Retakes' is usually only a rule for A levels. For any STEM/Tech subject you need good Maths - so do it.

I tried speaking with my college, but wont let me as I passed, but intend to go somewhere else as an external candidate.
I tried speaking with my college, but wont let me as I passed, but intend to go somewhere else as an external candidate.

You can just use them as an exam centre (you will have to pay the small exam fee) - its pretty easy to self-revise/re-teach yourself English or Maths, so you don't need 'lessons'.
What Uni would you recommend to replace kings with ?

I would replace Kings with any university that accepts Btec without A level Maths and accepts GCSE with you resitting. Dont know too much about London Universities but if you live in Ealing you could possibly try Reading. If you are prepared to travel further the Lancaster or Nottingham would be good options. Others worth looking at are East Anglia, Kent and Sussex. The key is getting a good Maths GCSE grade as this will open up your options. Kings are openly stating they do not accept applicants who are still awaiting the Maths GCSE resit so it really isnt worth considering there
Reading seems ideal for you. They require DDM on your extended BTEC with grade B or 6 in GCSE Maths, Physics or IT. Certainly worth looking into. It is a very highly rated university and is listed in the Sutton Trust 30 of leading universities. I would suggest along with Royal Holloway they are your best choices. Lancaster is an outstanding university if you are prepared to travel that far. You could look at Brunel as your insurance choice
Reply 15
I would replace Kings with any university that accepts Btec without A level Maths and accepts GCSE with you resitting. Dont know too much about London Universities but if you live in Ealing you could possibly try Reading. If you are prepared to travel further the Lancaster or Nottingham would be good options. Others worth looking at are East Anglia, Kent and Sussex. The key is getting a good Maths GCSE grade as this will open up your options. Kings are openly stating they do not accept applicants who are still awaiting the Maths GCSE resit so it really isnt worth considering there

I am not super pushy towards Kings to be honest, ok travelling up 1 one hour as I have a car. Already found a place where I can retake my maths in November. Reading is 15 spots above Brunel/Queen Marry in the rankings for my subject, plus its really far away, not to mention that the student satisfaction is one of the lowest in the top 50 for Computer science.

Reading seems ideal for you. They require DDM on your extended BTEC with grade B or 6 in GCSE Maths, Physics or IT. Certainly worth looking into. It is a very highly rated university and is listed in the Sutton Trust 30 of leading universities. I would suggest along with Royal Holloway they are your best choices. Lancaster is an outstanding university if you are prepared to travel that far. You could look at Brunel as your insurance choice

Reading is 15 spots above Brunel/Queen Marry in the rankings for my subject, plus its really far away, not to mention that the student satisfaction is one of the lowest in the top 50 for Computer science.
I am not super pushy towards Kings to be honest, ok travelling up 1 one hour as I have a car. Already found a place where I can retake my maths in November. Reading is 15 spots above Brunel/Queen Marry in the rankings for my subject, plus its really far away, not to mention that the student satisfaction is one of the lowest in the top 50 for Computer science.

Reading is 15 spots above Brunel/Queen Marry in the rankings for my subject, plus its really far away, not to mention that the student satisfaction is one of the lowest in the top 50 for Computer science.

Reading university is 35.5 miles from Ealing Broadway estimated 56 minutes by AA route planner. By limiting yourself to 1 hour rather than moving like most people do you are reducing your options greatly. There is no point applying to Kings without grade B as you will just get rejected. You need to find somewhere else. You are already restricted because you dont have A levels Maths and universities like UCL wont accept you so restricting yourself to living at home will make it far more difficult.
Reply 17
Reading university is 35.5 miles from Ealing Broadway estimated 56 minutes by AA route planner. By limiting yourself to 1 hour rather than moving like most people do you are reducing your options greatly. There is no point applying to Kings without grade B as you will just get rejected. You need to find somewhere else. You are already restricted because you dont have A levels Maths and universities like UCL wont accept you so restricting yourself to living at home will make it far more difficult.

My GCSE Maths grade will be improved as I will be retaking my exam this November. Also the reason behind my staying in London, is as my mother would be paying in full for my course, it wouldn't be really possible to do the same if I move out. My main problem with Reading is not the distance alone, but when you also put into consideration the fact that its ratings are low compared to Brunel that I can get even with my current grades. No hating on the Uni, but its really bad based on the ratings taken from this site - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Computer+Science
It is also a fact that based on CUG general rankings that Reading is far higher ranked than Brunel and is also above Queen Mary. The Sutton Trust has it as one of the top 30 universities in the UK. Neither Queen Mary or Brunel are in that group. Reading was a member of the very respected 1994 group. Brunel was not. Reading is a more respected university than Brunel. Subject rankings are far more inconsistent and unreliable than general rankings due to being based on a very small amount of students and fluctuate wildly because of it. Reading has higher entry figures than Brunel. It might well be the student satisfaction rate for Computer Science is because of the students having lower mathematical abilities and therefore finding the course more difficult than those who have better Maths skills. The difference in league table positions means very little. The top 16 in the table you are using all require A level Maths.
Just to show how unreliable the student satisfaction ratings are. East London and West London are 1st and 3rd in the uk based on your table and UCL and Queen Mary are in the bottom 10. Do you really believe that. I cannot think many would choose West London over UCL which is in the top 10 of universities in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending