The Student Room Group

To think we have normalised being overweight/obese?

For example:

Nike’s dangerously obese mannequins - yes, it’s representation. But it’s simply not healthy...

You go on Asos and swimming trunks (not plus size) are being modelled by a guy with a belly on him. I appreciate that 6 pack abs aren’t necessarily representative - but why not have someone with an average, yet healthy body?

‘Dad bod’ - isn’t that really just a beer gut? Supposedly ‘in’...

I’m prepared to be flamed...and might well be completely wrong!
I wouldn't say it's been 'normalised' to a full extent as it is still a touchy subject, but I do think the reduced stigma is damaging.

'Big is still beautiful', yeah some curves may be nice - but lots of rolls is just simply not healthy.
Reply 2
Couldn't give a ****, mate
I see where you are coming from but I think the idea is to be inclusive of all body types, yes those body types are unhealthy but so are the bodies of victoria secret models
Reply 4
Good point. Perhaps the issue is more wide ranging - that healthy bodies are on thr whole not well represented
Original post by margiekins
I see where you are coming from but I think the idea is to be inclusive of all body types, yes those body types are unhealthy but so are the bodies of victoria secret models
At the end of the day if you wanna be overweight, keep eating and die early. Let natural selection take its course.

But seriously the way in which it’s being normalised is scary and dangerous for people. It’s gonna be costing the NHS more and more money which they just don’t have before we know it.
I think this kind of action massively reduces mental health issues people can have with being overweight.
Not everyone is in a position where they can just switch to a healthy lifestyle/diet.

I believe very few people who are overweight/obese want to be. Wanting /|having the umpth| to do something about it is another matter.
#StressEating
Original post by chem17
Good point. Perhaps the issue is more wide ranging - that healthy bodies are on thr whole not well represented

What would you like, public shaming, fines, sending them to prison, be made to stay indoors?
Original post by 999tigger
What would you like, public shaming, fines, sending them to prison, be made to stay indoors?

Better awareness of the health issues of being overweight. Many of these new plus size models have been brainwashed into thinking they’re completely healthy, which is having a knock on effect to the rest of the population. It’s not about shaming people, it’s about awareness.
Definitely think too many people assume being skinnier = being healthier when that's not the case at all. Models or mannequins who are underweight can be just as unhealthy as those who are overweight.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Definitely think too many people assume being skinnier = being healthier when that's not the case at all. Models or mannequins who are underweight can be just as unhealthy as those who are overweight.

Oh of course. The point of this thread still stands though. Plus size models are the new “craze” and are trying to say there are no health risks with being overweight, which is completely false.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’d have to disagree with that. The number of people smoking in my generation (at least where I’m from) is very low. This is because they don’t want lung cancer, which has been all over the TV from a very young age. If we teach young children that being overweight is normal and/or healthy, do you not think more of them would make the decision to eat as much as the want and whatever they want? As a result, a higher proportion of children going into adulthood would be in the overweight or obese category.
The amount smoked is greatly reduced though so although it is still bad, it isn't as bad.
Children eat what parent's feed them, yes. But many parents will continue to give their child food if they ask for more because it's easier for them and they feel less guilty. It also helps if the child understands from a young age the negative consequences of an unhealthy diet as they are more likely to continue with a healthier one later in life.

People need to be educated on the risks of over-eating or eating unhealthy. At the moment obeseity/being overweight is overly glamourised in my opinion with the plus-sized models and people think it is more okay, when really it isn't necessarily. There is nothing wrong with being plus-sized but the health side-effects need to be more clearly advertised to help stop the problems we will face as a generation if more people become overweight/obese
I think we have normalized it to an extent, which whilst beneficial to the mental health of those who are overweight does not help them to realize the consequences of their state. There needs to be a distinction between promoting a healthier lifestyle and helping overweight people do change their ways against stigmatizing overweight people, the problem is if we continue to 'normalize' it then we face an increasingly growing population that will place a larger strain on the NHS and on themselves.

Whilst we need statistics to know how many people are overweight because of mental health, we need to try and firstly improve mental health services and secondly educate about the negative impacts of their actions in order to try and cause change. This article from the BBC (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48826850) is an example of this education but in a more shocking way, something needs to be done and if overweight people themselves won't take action then we need to provide the support to do so and just be blunt with them about the effects of what they are doing to themselves.
Nike did those mannequins to show their range of sportswear for bigger people. Everyone is always going on about how overweight people need to exercise and get in the gym and now a company has made gym wear for that demographic there is an uproar :lol: no pleasing some people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending