The Student Room Group

Most popular team sports in England?

Football then rugby then cricket?
Not sure. You'd have to check the participation rates through the governing bodies.

I know that netball is the most popular team sport for women, so it might be football first and then netball?
Reply 2
Original post by 学生の父
Not sure. You'd have to check the participation rates through the governing bodies.

I know that netball is the most popular team sport for women, so it might be football first and then netball?

Hmm... that's true. Where do you think cricket stands.
I would say football and rugby
Reply 4
I would put Cricket ahead of rugby. But Football definitely top
Reply 6
Original post by Cheesybread
I would put Cricket ahead of rugby. But Football definitely top

I personally think that the ongoing cricket world cup's popularity is being slightly undermined in England. It's just that the only way to watch the world cup is through SkyTV's paid package. If it's made free to air, I'm sure it'll attract a much wider audience.
Do you agree? Do you think cricket is still popular in England? Or is it declining?
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
I personally think that the ongoing cricket world cup's popularity is being slightly undermined in England. It's just that the only way to watch the world cup is through SkyTV's paid package. If it's made free to air, I'm sure it'll attract a much wider audience.
Do you agree? Do you think cricket is still popular in England? Or is it declining?

The problem I have with CWC is that there has been almost no effort to promote it and limited coverage ever since Channel 4 lost the Ashes in 2005. If you aren't middle class or born in to a family that likes cricket, you probably aren't going to get into it.

You can make several arguments for rugby (union) or cricket as to what is the second most popular sport behind football. I'd say cricket is more popular in England, but for the UK overall rugby is far ahead.

Think this is more appropriate in sport so i'll move it now.

I think it is declining and the ECB made a mistake not keeping some cricket on free to view tv.
Football still number one for me. Nothing else from the named above. Snooker is my second favorite sport when it comes to world championship.

In general I think football is at the first place too, then rugby and last but not least cricket.
(edited 4 years ago)
But is the question about viewing or participation, @ANO-NI-MUS?
Original post by 学生の父
But is the question about viewing or participation, @ANO-NI-MUS?

Both.... I'm talking about general popularity. Cricket's popularity is slightly undermined in England. If it wasn't behind SKY's paywall, I'm sure more people would watch it. I'm hoping England's able to teach the final. Might help boost popularity.

Yes its still popular i'm not talking about viewership, i'm also talking about playing cricket compared to rugby, and popularity in that sense. Your question was not very specific

Yes, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Millions play football.
A few hundred thousand play rugby (both codes).
A few tens of thousands (at best) play cricket.

Cricket is the minority sport here, by a fair margin.

Quick Reply

Latest