The Student Room Group

Brexit party compared to Nazis after Ode to Joy snub

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-party-meps-turn-their-backs-on-eus-ode-to-joy-anthem-in-european-parliament-11754995

A story of BP MEPs turning their back on the EU anthem ode to joy. A photo has been circulating on the twitter of Nazi party members turning their back on the Reichstag in the 1920s/1930s.

A ridiculous comparison of you ask me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fully agree, for some reason the minority always seem to have the loudest voice and get all the media attention because it's a good click.
Reply 2
Soviet EUnion has a national anthem now?

Eventually they'll crack down on anti-EU 'hate speech' and put them in gulags.

:biggrin:
Or as the Wrexit Party call it EUSSR.
Well, it is a fair comparison because they are doing the same action. Just obviously the same thing.

To say that they share similar ideas or draw any other inferences from them doing something similar is a bit daft and where it becomes illogical.
Original post by Andrew97
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-party-meps-turn-their-backs-on-eus-ode-to-joy-anthem-in-european-parliament-11754995

A story of BP MEPs turning their back on the EU anthem ode to joy. A photo has been circulating on the twitter of Nazi party members turning their back on the Reichstag in the 1920s/1930s.

Quite

It shows that the remainers have totally lost the plot.
Reply 6
Original post by Merridan
Quite

It shows that the remainers have totally lost the plot.

Pots and kettles.
Original post by Napp
Pots and kettles.

Oh really? So completely going against the will of the people and ignoring a binding referendum (which was promised to be carried out) then calling a party (BP) which was by a country mile elected by more people, Nazis and therefore suggesting that a significant chunk of the population is NAZI SUPPORTING

And you claim I'm the one who has lost the plot

Oh and it does not help that the Remainers are trying to claim that they somehow won the EU elections despite the Brexit party getting 29 MEPs and The liberal Democrats getting 16 in the end.

Thats nearly double

And now they claim the Brexit party are akin to NAZIs ....They have lost the plot Napp
Reply 8
Oh really? So completely going against the will of the people and ignoring a binding referendum (which was promised to be carried out) then calling a party (BP) which was by a country mile elected by more people, Nazis and therefore suggesting that a significant chunk of the population is NAZI SUPPORTING

You're going to have to remind me where I said any of that :rolleyes:

Or that, for that matter. I mean you clearly have with you constant frothing at the mouth but nevertheless.

Oh and it does not help that the Remainers are trying to claim that they somehow won the EU elections despite the Brexit party getting 29 MEPs and The liberal Democrats getting 16 in the end. [

Thats nearly double

This is such a stupid comment i'm almost tempted not to reply. However, i'll bite. LibDems do not represent all remainers and vice versa. It is moronic to suggest otherwise.
although to humour your err 'point' they are reffering to when you tot up the other remain favouring parties as well . Although given that the 'Brexit party' is less a party than a hashtag...

And now they claim the Brexit party are akin to NAZIs ....They have lost the plot Napp

I'm confused as to whom the 'they' you're referring to are? The millions of people who voted remain? I think not.

Nevermind most people would happily point out that Farage, Widdicome etc. are too stupid to know if they're nazis or not.
It wasn’t a binding referendum, it was an advisory one. Cameron could have made it legally binding. He chose not to.
Original post by Napp
You're going to have to remind me where I said any of that :rolleyes:

Or that, for that matter. I mean you clearly have with you constant frothing at the mouth but nevertheless.

This is such a stupid comment i'm almost tempted not to reply. However, i'll bite. LibDems do not represent all remainers and vice versa. It is moronic to suggest otherwise.
although to humour your err 'point' they are reffering to when you tot up the other remain favouring parties as well . Although given that the 'Brexit party' is less a party than a hashtag...

I'm confused as to whom the 'they' you're referring to are? The millions of people who voted remain? I think not.

Nevermind most people would happily point out that Farage, Widdicome etc. are too stupid to know if they're nazis or not.

Truly I do not know where to even start....:biggrin:

I would just like to point out that that you should read the OP and where it said:
Original post by Andrew97

"A story of BP MEPs turning their back on the EU anthem ode to joy. A photo has been circulating on the twitter of Nazi party members turning their back on the Reichstag in the 1920s/1930s."

Thats what I was referring to and I was of the opinion it was kinda obvious...

Also yes the Liberal democrats represent remainers esp those who want to 'stop brexit' and the Brexit party by definition represent people who want to leave the EU, don't know why I need to reiterate the obvous:confused:
Reply 11
Truly I do not know where to even start....:biggrin:

I would just like to point out that that you should read the OP and where it said:

"A story of BP MEPs turning their back on the EU anthem ode to joy. A photo has been circulating on the twitter of Nazi party members turning their back on the Reichstag in the 1920s/1930s."

Thats what I was referring to and I was of the opinion it was kinda obvious...

Also yes the Liberal democrats represent remainers esp those who want to 'stop brexit' and the Brexit party by definition represent people who want to leave the EU, don't know why I need to reiterate the obvous:confused:

Aye, it's still a load of old tosh though, as you should well know.

They represent SOME remainers just as the 'brexit party' represents SOME Brexstremists. It beggars belief you need such a thing explained to you? You'd do well to stop trying to grossly over simplify things like this and lumping millions of people into black or white boxes.
Reply 12
Oh dear...
Oh really? So completely going against the will of the people

The "will of the people"? Which "people". Brexit is only "the will of the people who voted Leave". They were a minority of the electorate, so it cannot be described as "the will of the people".

and ignoring a binding referendum

It was not, and is not "binding". It has no legal status. It was merely advisory.

(which was promised to be carried out)

A 'political promise' is an oxymoron.

then calling a party (BP) which was by a country mile elected by more people,

Wrong. Twice as many people voted for other parties as voted for the Brexis.

Nazis and therefore suggesting that a significant chunk of the population is NAZI SUPPORTING

No one is calling them Nazis, merely pointing out that they preformed the same anti-parliamentary gesture that the Nazis did. It could be just a coincidence.

You certainly have a vague understanding of the facts.

Oh and it does not help that the Remainers are trying to claim that they somehow won the EU elections despite the Brexit party getting 29 MEPs and The liberal Democrats getting 16 in the end. Thats nearly double

Yes, because the UK political system consists of only two parties. I refer you to my comment above.

And now they claim the Brexit party are akin to NAZIs

While it is obvious that most Brexit Party members and voters are probably not Nazis, it is also clear that the Brexit Party has used populist techniques and tropes that were also effectively employed by the Nazis.
Also worth bearing in mind that the term "Nazi" now refers generally to people with far-right, fascist, white supremacist or nationalist racist/xenophobic principles, not just actual members of the NSDAP.
Original post by QE2
Oh dear...

The "will of the people"? Which "people". Brexit is only "the will of the people who voted Leave". They were a minority of the electorate, so it cannot be described as "the will of the people".

It was not, and is not "binding". It has no legal status. It was merely advisory.

A 'political promise' is an oxymoron.

Wrong. Twice as many people voted for other parties as voted for the Brexis.

No one is calling them Nazis, merely pointing out that they preformed the same anti-parliamentary gesture that the Nazis did. It could be just a coincidence.

You certainly have a vague understanding of the facts.

Yes, because the UK political system consists of only two parties. I refer you to my comment above.

While it is obvious that most Brexit Party members and voters are probably not Nazis, it is also clear that the Brexit Party has used populist techniques and tropes that were also effectively employed by the Nazis.
Also worth bearing in mind that the term "Nazi" now refers generally to people with far-right, fascist, white supremacist or nationalist racist/xenophobic principles, not just actual members of the NSDAP.

Holy molly that is a quote farm from hell!

Oh dear ...about sums it up

I do not even know how to begin correcting the cavalcade of errors and false statements and misrepresentation within your post I.. may at some point try
Reply 14
I do not even know how to begin correcting the cavalcade of errors and false statements and misrepresentation within your post I.. may at some point try

Good luck with that.
Well we shouldn't overlook the fact that Brexit Party is just the new name for UKIP and is basically the cult of Nigel Farage. Now I concede that it is vaguely possible that UKIP was a kind, welcoming and tolerant party who loved foreigners and respected other cultures and religions before he left and only became the hateful cesspit of humanity that it turns out to be after he left. It is also possible that it didn't in which case the BP is likely to be equally filled with the dregs of humanity. I know where I'd place my bet. And, if my suspicion is correct then the comparison is not entirely baseless - racism (Islamophobia rather than Anti-Semitism), belief in the superiority of white, Germanic and aryan races, strong shows of local culture, the creation of more space for the indigenous population by opposing immigration... not so ridiculous perhaps...
Very odd this reference to a national anthem that's cropping up everywhere... you know the Olympic games has an anthem too? All sorts of organisations have them and it's a simple expression of human decency to respect them.

Just because the Leave campaign and Nigel Farage like to prey on the weak minded with conspiracy theories about the UK being ruled by foreign powers and being overrun with immigrants doesn't make it true. What is true though is that they are an embarrassment to the UK on the world stage and I would be delighted if they were refused access to the EU parliament. If they had any dignity at all they would do as Sinn Fein has done and simply not take their seats. Of course there might be questions about why they are getting paid then and they wouldn't like that at all would they?
Original post by Kazmondo
Soviet EUnion has a national anthem now?

Eventually they'll crack down on anti-EU 'hate speech' and put them in gulags.

:biggrin:
Original post by eucitizen
Well we shouldn't overlook the fact that Brexit Party is just the new name for UKIP and is basically the cult of Nigel Farage. Now I concede that it is vaguely possible that UKIP was a kind, welcoming and tolerant party who loved foreigners and respected other cultures and religions before he left and only became the hateful cesspit of humanity that it turns out to be after he left. It is also possible that it didn't in which case the BP is likely to be equally filled with the dregs of humanity. I know where I'd place my bet. And, if my suspicion is correct then the comparison is not entirely baseless - racism (Islamophobia rather than Anti-Semitism), belief in the superiority of white, Germanic and aryan races, strong shows of local culture, the creation of more space for the indigenous population by opposing immigration... not so ridiculous perhaps...

The Brexit Party isn’t filled with anyone other than Nigel Farage.

The Brexit Party is Farage’s reaction to the rightward move of UKIP. Fundamentally, Farage’s life’s work has been to take the UK out of the EU. He did not found UKIP and for many UKIP members leaving the EU was only one of a wide range of right wing issues. Farage more or less kept it focused on Brexit so long as he was leader but famously he claimed never to have read the loony 2010 UKIP manifesto.

As UKIP lurched ever rightward following his resignation to the point where Tommy Robinson became an advisor, Farage left and formed a proprietary political party. There are no members to take a different view to Farage. Farage owns the party and as a result the Brexit Party has no policies other than the policies Farage wants. It has no rail policy or further education policy or defence policy because Farage doesn’t have a view on those matters.
I though the EU did not want to be a super state.
Original post by nulli tertius
The Brexit Party isn’t filled with anyone other than Nigel Farage.

The Brexit Party is Farage’s reaction to the rightward move of UKIP. Fundamentally, Farage’s life’s work has been to take the UK out of the EU. He did not found UKIP and for many UKIP members leaving the EU was only one of a wide range of right wing issues. Farage more or less kept it focused on Brexit so long as he was leader but famously he claimed never to have read the loony 2010 UKIP manifesto.

As UKIP lurched ever rightward following his resignation to the point where Tommy Robinson became an advisor, Farage left and formed a proprietary political party. There are no members to take a different view to Farage. Farage owns the party and as a result the Brexit Party has no policies other than the policies Farage wants. It has no rail policy or further education policy or defence policy because Farage doesn’t have a view on those matters.

I wouldn't say he doesn't have a view, it's relatively clear that Farage's views are pretty broadly (if vaguely) right-wing and socially reactionary. They're just a much lower priority to him than Brexit.

But I'd say Farage, and both UKIP and the Brexit Party under his leadership are much more defined by a perceived "establishment" rejection. Hence why failed or disgraced Tories have made up so much of their senior teams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending