The Student Room Group

FIFA Women's World Cup 2019

Scroll to see replies

its defo sad to see england not in the final but they deserve to be where they are now
Reply 41
Historical note:

not since World War 1 has women's football been so popular.

Article, quote:

The coal disputes of 1921 and 1926 saw more sides develop in response to localized deprivation: teams included the Soup Canteen Ladies; Blaydon Ladies’ FC and the (magnificently named) Marley Hill Spankers.

As a result of this success, the FA ‘banned’ women’s teams from playing football on League and Association-affiliated grounds from 5 December 1921. The FA ruled that too much money had been absorbed in expenses by players and the game was ‘unsuitable’ for women. There was no evidence that serious injury had been sustained by a woman, except a report that Florrie Redford (1900-1986) had once been bitten on the ankle by a dog while playing."

The ban was lifted in 1971.

Blyth Spartans.jpg
Pictured: Blyth Spartans (Northumberland), I'm not sure if they always wore hats while playing?

6 min. video documentary
(edited 4 years ago)
very interesting

Original post by NJA
Historical note:

not since World War 1 has women's football been so popular.

Article, quote:

The coal disputes of 1921 and 1926 saw more sides develop in response to localized deprivation: teams included the Soup Canteen Ladies; Blaydon Ladies’ FC and the Marley Hill Spankers.

As a result of this success, the FA ‘banned’ women’s teams from playing football on League and Association-affiliated grounds from 5 December 1921. The FA ruled that too much money had been absorbed in expenses by players and the game was ‘unsuitable’ for women. There was no evidence that serious injury had been sustained by a woman, except a report that Florrie Redford (1900-1986) had once been bitten on the ankle by a dog while playing."

The ban was lifted in 1971.

Blyth Spartans.jpg
Pictured: Blyth Spartans (Northumberland), I'm not sure if they always wore hats while playing?
Reply 43
Nice bit of humour from Alex Morgan, one from the Basil Fawlty book, shame DM just uses it to rile people up.

We are British we supposed to be able to take a joke! we've had an Empire and graciously gave it away, and there was the Boston Tea Party, but we have kissed and made up we are now best buddies humour is a term of affection.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by NJA
Nice bit of humour from Alex Morgan, one from the Basil Fawlty book, shame DM just uses it to rile people up.

We are British we supposed to be able to take a joke! we've got nothing to prove we've had an Empire and there was the Boston Tea Party, we should have some affection at come back from our friends The Americans.

If Israel scored against Germany and did the Nazi salute with finger under the nose, would that be funny? I mean, I'd say they're entitled to keep reminding their ex-oppressors of things, but such a celebration does somewhat politicise the game with historical baggage. It's more a taunt than a celebration.
Reply 45
it's tea!!
We are a nation of tea drinkers we took tea around the world not nazism. Tea is a civilized , enjoyable pastime. Apart from the fact that the workers in India and Sri Lanka don't get paid enough it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Original post by ThomH97
If Israel scored against Germany and did the Nazi salute with finger under the nose, would that be funny? I mean, I'd say they're entitled to keep reminding their ex-oppressors of things, but such a celebration does somewhat politicise the game with historical baggage. It's more a taunt than a celebration.
Original post by NJA
it's tea!!
We are a nation of tea drinkers we took tea around the world not nazism. Tea is a civilized , enjoyable pastime. Apart from the fact that the workers in India and Sri Lanka don't get paid enough it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Tbh I'm not 'outraged' as the media like to keep using that word. But it clearly was against specifically England, rather than a celebration of scoring a goal to put her country ahead in the semi-final. It was about her opponents rather than her country, her team or herself.

The thing that annoyed me more was whoever interviewed Houghton after the match. She answers a question including that she blames herself for missing the penalty (I'd 'blame' the players with more practice scoring who didn't step up, but that's another issue), and then the interviewer goes "Oooh, she's upset about that, I'll get her to talk more about it on national television and hopefully she cries!" and asks her to expand specifically on that. No reassurance it's not her fault or whatever, just picking at open wounds.
Reply 47
Original post by ThomH97
Tbh I'm not 'outraged' as the media like to keep using that word. But it clearly was against specifically England, rather than a celebration of scoring a goal to put her country ahead in the semi-final. It was about her opponents rather than her country, her team or herself.

The thing that annoyed me more was whoever interviewed Houghton after the match. She answers a question including that she blames herself for missing the penalty (I'd 'blame' the players with more practice scoring who didn't step up, but that's another issue), and then the interviewer goes "Oooh, she's upset about that, I'll get her to talk more about it on national television and hopefully she cries!" and asks her to expand specifically on that. No reassurance it's not her fault or whatever, just picking at open wounds.

Just because someone can score in open play, doesn’t mean that they are particularly good at penalties.

To say that the scorers from open play should be taking them leads me to believe that you don’t watch football on a regular basis.
Original post by joe goldberg
My threads on TSR have higher interest than this tournament

https://twitter.com/JoCurrie/status/1146338036080402434?s=09
Original post by Mess.
Just because someone can score in open play, doesn’t mean that they are particularly good at penalties.

To say that the scorers from open play should be taking them leads me to believe that you don’t watch football on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure your best penalty taker shouldn't be your centre-back. To say that such a situation is normal leads me to believe that you don’t watch football on a regular basis.
Original post by Mess.
Tbf you sound like an idiot. If you look at all the clubs in the premier league a significant number of their man goal scorers aren’t the main penalty taker.

Tbf you sound like you didn't read what I said. That or you think 2 in 11 clubs have a centre-back as their main penalty taker, to be in proportion.

And I maintain that there are better penalty takers than Houghton in the England squad, and I'd have said that even before she messed that one up. Perhaps they ducked the responsibility, or perhaps they respected their captain who was too insistent.
Reply 51
This is catty, bit like the Holland Sweden game, or as the commentator said G & T without the ice and slice.

" USA have little to fear"
(edited 4 years ago)
Holland it is then who get to the final, nasty looking injury to that Swedish player at the end
Some comeback for England here or is it VAR checking the second goal
Reply 54
we wuz robbed!
Final in progress now Netherlands holding their own, their keeper just made a good save as well.
Reply 56
Original post by Rock Fan
Final in progress now Netherlands holding their own, their keeper just made a good save as well.

Can't really see USA losing in the end though tbh.
Original post by 8472
Can't really see USA losing in the end though tbh.

Only hope is Netherlands pinching a goal in a smash and grab.
Reply 58
. . . watching with a friend who isn't interested in football.
He says the some of the girls are pretty.
shame the USA team is so arrogant and up their own backsides

Quick Reply

Latest