The Student Room Group

Passing a large blood clot?

This is the second week of my cycle, and they generally last two to three weeks before ending. I noticed that the flow was getting slightly lighter with each day so I thought that I still probably have another 7 or so days left. But then, even though it isn't nearly as heavy as it was a few days ago, it was actually very normal, not too heavy, not too light. But...I just passed a blood clot that was about the size of three quarters. Does this mean my flow is going to get heavier? Or lighter??
Original post by Anonymous
This is the second week of my cycle, and they generally last two to three weeks before ending. I noticed that the flow was getting slightly lighter with each day so I thought that I still probably have another 7 or so days left. But then, even though it isn't nearly as heavy as it was a few days ago, it was actually very normal, not too heavy, not too light. But...I just passed a blood clot that was about the size of three quarters. Does this mean my flow is going to get heavier? Or lighter??

It doesn't necessarily mean anything, your period is just a little bit different this time. However, if you keep passing large clots like this for the next 1-2 periods, I would see your GP.
Wait... you have more than one week in your cycle?? Definitely abnormal. Periods should at max last 7 days, so even though you may consider it normal, it (by most standards) isn't. This doesn't necessarily indicate something dangerous, but you should definitely see your doctor asap.

Any change in your regular cycle is something you should visit your doctor about, especially in the case of blood clots. While it likely isn't anything too serious, it is still somewhat abnormal, especially if you don't usually pass blood clots. Visit an Ob-gyn when you can. In my case, they prescribed progesterone pills, and that seems to have helped me with clots, period pain and breast pain. That being said, do NOT take any kind of supplements related to your reproductive health (especially off the internet) without a doctor's prescription. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3

Probably worth having a chat with a pharmacist or nurse at summer point just to check all is good and it's not worth checking on anything. Periods of more than a week aren't generally "normal" and nor is passing clots. But loads of people have abnormal periods just because. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. Don't worry about it or try to do anything to change it, just have a talk with a professional at some point and of anything happens that worries you you can call 111 or go straight to a pharmacy or walk in clinic. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest