The Student Room Group

Swansea A101 2020 Entry

Welcome to the Swansea A101 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/mbbchgraduateentrymedicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/mbbchgraduateentrymedicine/#entry-requirements-contents

Swansea A101 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6432668

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Glad this thread has been started! How are we all getting on with the application so far? Anyone sitting the GAMSAT this September? :biggrin:
I'll be taking the GAMSAT and UCAT in September al though I'm still deciding on which medical schools to apply but I'm having a hard time since I'm an international student. What are the acceptance rates like for Swansea? Don't the applications open in early September for the 2020-2021 cycle?
Reply 3
Swansea is my first choice, possibly even my only choice to be honest; it looks fantastic. It would also be the best financially as I live in Swansea.

In terms of competition, they have around 100 places (I’ve seen 120 being thrown around on forums) and they interview around 300 candidates. @alysidferns
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by alysidferns
I know nothing about the application processes in the UK since I'll be applying to medical schools from the US. Is there a website that compares these schools based on location, cost, teaching methods, clinical placements etc? It seems to me that Swansea's pretty competitive, 120 spots for GEM is not a lot

Small cohorts is what Swansea prides itself on which is why I’m so desperate to go there. Cost is abit more complicated for you as you are an international student. Try the medic portal, though each med school will have their costs on their page.
I think an excel spread sheet is in order :smile: I've been using the MedicPortal's resources to study for the UCAT, I think I'll check them out for the rest too. Thanks!
Original post by SteveForfar
Small cohorts is what Swansea prides itself on which is why I’m so desperate to go there. Cost is abit more complicated for you as you are an international student. Try the medic portal, though each med school will have their costs on their page.
Reply 6
I think an excel spread sheet is in order :smile: I've been using the MedicPortal's resources to study for the UCAT, I think I'll check them out for the rest too. Thanks!

No problem, it’s a really good site. Good luck!
How heavily does Swansea consider GCSE's and UCAT scores?
No problem, it’s a really good site. Good luck!
Reply 8
How heavily does Swansea consider GCSE's and UCAT scores?

Swansea is a GAMSAT university and you MUST meet their cut off for interview. Swansea treats their entry requirements as tick box exercises really, its the interview that really counts. GCSEs are required at grade C (i can’t remember the exact subjects though I want to say english and math)
I meant GCSE's and GAMSAT, my bad. I was asking about grades because I didn't do so hot on my A levels (bio, chem and phys, I received better grades and more experience in uni when I got my bachelors in Neuroscience
Swansea is a GAMSAT university and you MUST meet their cut off for interview. Swansea treats their entry requirements as tick box exercises really, its the interview that really counts. GCSEs are required at grade C (i can’t remember the exact subjects though I want to say english and math)
I meant GCSE's and GAMSAT, my bad. I was asking about grades because I didn't do so hot on my A levels (bio, chem and phys, I received better grades and more experience in uni when I got my bachelors in Neuroscience

If you have C grades in whatever subject(s) they ask for, you’ll be fine!
If you have C grades in whatever subject(s) they ask for, you’ll be fine!

Also just to add, you’ll need a 2.1 or equivalent in your degree or a 2.2 AND a masters/PhD
It's all good. I just got off the phone with admissions and they answered all the questions I had!
Also just to add, you’ll need a 2.1 or equivalent in your degree or a 2.2 AND a masters/PhD
It's all good. I just got off the phone with admissions and they answered all the questions I had!

Brilliant, best of luck to you. Hope to see you at interview!
Do swansea prefer if you have already achieved a 2.1 in your degree or is it treated equally as being predicted a 2.1 or above if your going into your final year? I know birmingham have a point system where more points are given if you have achieved your degree compared to if you're predicted a 2.1/1st but not sure about swansea. Thanks :smile:
Hi thereso sorry to gate crash your group chat- but i am about to start the Physicians associate masters this September at Swansea and am super late at sorting out my accommodation and just wondered if any GEM students had any spare rooms in any of their current student houses or whether anyone had any recommendations or advice. Any Info would be great!Thanks so muchHarriet
What was the GAMSAT cut off last year?
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
What was the GAMSAT cut off last year?

It was 59 for 2019 entry, with a min score of 50 in S3.
Is there a deadline for letting applicants know whether they've been accepted or not?
Does anyone know about the reference requirements for Swansea? I asked the Admissions Office some time ago but haven't heard back yet. I sat my first degree some 16 years ago and have been working since; I'd like to know if the reference should be an academic one from my first degree, or a more recent working reference? It also looks to me that there's only room for one referee on UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending