The Student Room Group

GLS Training Contract applications (2019)

This is now open. Good luck if you’re applying.

Can’t believe there are only 2 spots available for Leeds 😪

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only 3 weeks to apply this year, usually it's the whole month. Hoping it's third time lucky for me.

I have just called the recruitment team with a query and the advisor started rambling about the AA and asked me what job I was interested in with the AA. I explained that my question was about Government Legal Trainee contracts and they gave me a telephone number 0117 923 4417 to call.

This was, er, the number I had called in the first place.

I told them that and they said that I had come through to the wrong team (?????) before hanging up when I asked to speak to a manager!!!

Looks like the Government Legal Profession is now sponsored by the AA. Which is just as well because the system seems to have broken down!!!
I'm applying to the GLS again this year as well. This is my third time applying. Good luck to everyone applying!
Reply 3
Original post by Law_hopeful2016
I'm applying to the GLS again this year as well. This is my third time applying. Good luck to everyone applying!

This is my third time as well. Last year got sifted after the VRT ☹️
Reply 4
This is my 3rd time applying and each year the SJT has been exactly the same - which is pretty ridiculous.

I kept a copy of my application from last year (which passed the SJT) and just rehashed those answers.

If more folks get the answers right this year then I guess I might not get through this year.

Oh well, here’s hoping...
Last year I got sifted after the CRT. Don't know why I bother doing these tests because they're such a nightmare! Have no idea how I'll do this year. I didn't apply last year, but I gathered it was quite competitive?

Original post by Snookered
This is my third time as well. Last year got sifted after the VRT ☹️
Reply 6
Last year I got sifted after the CRT. Don't know why I bother doing these tests because they're such a nightmare! Have no idea how I'll do this year. I didn't apply last year, but I gathered it was quite competitive?

I think it’s always competitive - something like 3000 apps for 60 - 70 spots.

I’m applying for Leeds - only two spots there, so it’s a loooooong shot 🤣
It's still worth trying though. I say this even though I'm contemplating not applying again if I don't get to an AC this year. When I went to an Open Day for HMRC, all the lawyers on the panel said it took the three times before they actually got the TC. A friend of a friend did her pupillage with the GLS and she met people who had to try 5 times before they got it.

I think it’s always competitive - something like 3000 apps for 60 - 70 spots.

I’m applying for Leeds - only two spots there, so it’s a loooooong shot 🤣
Reply 8
It's still worth trying though. I say this even though I'm contemplating not applying again if I don't get to an AC this year. When I went to an Open Day for HMRC, all the lawyers on the panel said it took the three times before they actually got the TC. A friend of a friend did her pupillage with the GLS and she met people who had to try 5 times before they got it.

Do you apply for any other TCs?

I’m going to the HMRC open day in Manchester in August.

If I don’t make it this year then I’ll just keep trying hahaha
Yeah, I've applied for other TCs. I haven't been successful, but I've managed to get to an AC for each of my applications - I didn't put a lot of them in because I also work full time. But the GLS is the one that I want tbh. But trying to manage my expectations as well cos I know the CRT will be difficult.
Do you apply for any other TCs?

I’m going to the HMRC open day in Manchester in August.

If I don’t make it this year then I’ll just keep trying hahaha
Reply 10
I think there must have been some sort of Civil Service cost cutting this year because everything seems a bit slap-dash. Even the application form refers to "principle subject" etc.Not what you expect with a high quality organization with a strong reputation.

Will probably put my application in over the weekend. Guaranteed score of at least 18 and then onwards to the Verbal Test :biggrin:

Original post by Garmin1
Only 3 weeks to apply this year, usually it's the whole month. Hoping it's third time lucky for me.

I have just called the recruitment team with a query and the advisor started rambling about the AA and asked me what job I was interested in with the AA. I explained that my question was about Government Legal Trainee contracts and they gave me a telephone number 0117 923 4417 to call.

I told them that and they said that I had come through to the wrong team (?????) before hanging up when I asked to speak to a manager!!!

Looks like the Government Legal Profession is now sponsored by the AA. Which is just as well because the system seems to have broken down!!!
Just finalized my application with a cheeky 18 :wink:. Looking forwards to my invitation to the verbal reasoning test :biggrin:
Original post by Droog96
I think there must have been some sort of Civil Service cost cutting this year because everything seems a bit slap-dash. Even the application form refers to "principle subject" etc.Not what you expect with a high quality organization with a strong reputation.

Will probably put my application in over the weekend. Guaranteed score of at least 18 and then onwards to the Verbal Test :biggrin:
Reply 12
How do folks know that these answers floating about online are legit?

Could it be that they’re not legit?
Its a good question,as it could in theory be a massive double bluff...

..........BUT.........someone from our uni is on a work placement at the firm where the systems are built and has been telling us it has been chaos building the system and they did about 15 versions before they sorted it. There are also problems with the final assessment centres because the old systems were decommisssioned (nobody realised it was happening ( :s-smilie: ) so loads of work, so little time. Because The SJT test is the final part to build and it is a load more work to then rearrange the questions and answers so they just chucked it in as the same as last year. Someone got hold of the key and copied it and passed it to friends in the law dept. Someone at uni put it on an email and the rest as they say is history. A few honest people in our uni reported in back to the company at the end of June but they havent even replied. They must just be hoping that it will all go away :eek:
Basically once you read the questions and then see the answers on the key it all falls into place. Reading through you can see the pattern of the profile of the person they want. They are definately legit.
As a teaser Q's 5 and 8 are 1 point each only for getting the Least favourable option. On these Q's it doesnt matter what you select for Most favourable.

I didnt want to use it myself but no choice really as Ill not get through otherwise with all the high scores there will now be.I reckon it must run into the thousands who have seen it so theres no other choice really :s-smilie: I got sent the email a second time from a guy I know in Canada so its definitely travelling!!

How do folks know that these answers floating about online are legit?

Could it be that they’re not legit?
Reply 14
Original post by VeeVeeLee
Its a good question,as it could in theory be a massive double bluff...

..........BUT.........someone from our uni is on a work placement at the firm where the systems are built and has been telling us it has been chaos building the system and they did about 15 versions before they sorted it. There are also problems with the final assessment centres because the old systems were decommisssioned (nobody realised it was happening ( :s-smilie: ) so loads of work, so little time. Because The SJT test is the final part to build and it is a load more work to then rearrange the questions and answers so they just chucked it in as the same as last year. Someone got hold of the key and copied it and passed it to friends in the law dept. Someone at uni put it on an email and the rest as they say is history. A few honest people in our uni reported in back to the company at the end of June but they havent even replied. They must just be hoping that it will all go away :eek:
Basically once you read the questions and then see the answers on the key it all falls into place. Reading through you can see the pattern of the profile of the person they want. They are definately legit.
As a teaser Q's 5 and 8 are 1 point each only for getting the Least favourable option. On these Q's it doesnt matter what you select for Most favourable.

I will PM you the email and you can see what I mean. I didnt want to use it myself but no choice really as Ill not get through otherwise with all the high scores there will now be.I reckon it must run into the thousands who have seen it so theres no other choice really :s-smilie: I got sent the email a second time from a guy I know in Canada so its definitely travelling!!

Well that’s very hectic.

The SJT hasn’t changed at all for three years in a row - methinks the GLS needs to sort it out...
I agree. Its all been clearly shambolic but the worst thing is that someone knew about the problems and just covered them up. Its big time dishonesty really. They shouldve raised a big red flag, got whatever people in to get the system right or even delayed it for a short time to sort it all. And definately changed the questions because they knew in June that it was all out there :s-smilie:
They just let it carry on, but i suppose its jobs for the boys. No accounability. Theyll just all sit there in the GLS and forget it ever happened :mad:
Not sure why I applied really?:biggrin:
Well that’s very hectic.

The SJT hasn’t changed at all for three years in a row - methinks the GLS needs to sort it out...
I am confused about the application, do we need to sign up for an LPC before applying for the GLS? How did others go about answering that question if you are yet to apply for an LPC but are a graduate?
Reply 17
Original post by sandy2312
I am confused about the application, do we need to sign up for an LPC before applying for the GLS? How did others go about answering that question if you are yet to apply for an LPC but are a graduate?

You don’t need to sign up before you apply, but you do need to have completed it before the TC starts.

If I wasn’t enrolled for the LPC yet and was planning on starting a TC in 2021 - I’d just put down where I plan to enrol and when I plan to start.
Reply 18
Original post by Garmin1

To all those thinking of using the legendary SJT key that was circulating, there is important news.

The order of the questions was changed this morning, but this will only affect those who are starting fresh applications from today. The questions will still be the same for everyone, but the proverbial key (probably now owned by half the population) will work for only those who started their application prior to the change. For everyone else, it is the new order though I don't know why people just don't crack on and do the test anyway??

How do I know all this? Well, I finally got through on the 0117 number today with my question about one of the application form sections to be told that there has been a right royal stink about this whole shambolic SJT mess. Even the staff there can't understand why the managers sat on it for so long.

I for one was just glad I hadn't got through to the RAC!!!
Its like they are rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic!
Original post by Droog96
Yes, had that as well. Within about an hour of the answers being changed, and then again late last night.

But really not difficult to work up a new key if all they have done is just re-arrange the same questions, because many (myself included) would have made a copy of their application form anyway?

Oh dear.

Submit reply

Quick Reply

Latest