The Student Room Group

Purchased my range rover at 18, any advice tips would be great.

Scroll to see replies

I wont get too in depth as it is personal.

Been at my job 2 years, got into it through an apprenticeship, that gave me skills and enabled me to do a more difficult position which I do now.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Yeah.

Make sure you get that thing serviced constantly or it'll breakdown faster than you can say part exchange.

Do you have any accurate figures to guide me on this?

Every 6000 I read somewhere, can you confirm this please?
Original post by OG_ElGato
1. Your insurance must be diabolical.

2. Take good care of it.

Seriously there is no advice to give here. If you are earning enough money to buy a range rover you are clearly doing well for yourself.

What do you actually do for work?

4k insurance at 18, do have a blackbox but I am fine with that, just got rid of my corsa which I had no black box on and as much as I enjoyed speeding and being stupid, it wont last forever and id rather just cruise in a nicer car.

Thank you, I just wanted to see if there were any range rover owners who could give me some guidance but no worries.

My current role is in administration in the public sector, been at this company for nearly 2 years, goal is by 2021 to be Exec PA for a firm in the city, that's when you start earning a decent wage.
Reply 23
Original post by S27
Could I ask for more details? Industry, type of job, how you got into it & long you've been there etc?

He works in a Costa.
Original post by MrCole&Co
Everyone loves to be negative because there jealous

Don't understand why we live in a society that loves being negative to benefit themselves.

I don't think people are jealous (I'm not at least, since these vehicles depreciate like a rock falling from a plane), most people don't care.
What do you do to afford it
This BBC article was written specifically for you to read: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-your-money-48776454

The very best thing for you to do now is to find a fault with it that will allow you to take it back for a full refund.

Failing that, sell it as soon as you can in order to minimise your financial loss to depreciation.

Failing that, come back to this thread in 5 years time and tell us how you've found the ownership and payments overall.

I've looked at Range Rovers before, but never bought one because they are too expensive for what they are and I am not a farmer and therefore don't need the rather good off roading abilities that the better models have.
And there are so many great cars that Volvo, BMW, Audi have made over the years that can be bought for less than 5k now.
I don't see how one person's stupidity is applicable to all owners of financed cars? If a student is too dumb to realise they don't earn enough to be able to afford £300+ every month to pay down a £20,000 car it's hardly the fault of the lenders is it?
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
This BBC article was written specifically for you to read: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-your-money-48776454

The very best thing for you to do now is to find a fault with it that will allow you to take it back for a full refund.

Failing that, sell it as soon as you can in order to minimise your financial loss to depreciation.

Failing that, come back to this thread in 5 years time and tell us how you've found the ownership and payments overall.

I've looked at Range Rovers before, but never bought one because they are too expensive for what they are and I am not a farmer and therefore don't need the rather good off roading abilities that the better models have.
And there are so many great cars that Volvo, BMW, Audi have made over the years that can be bought for less than 5k now.
You need to buy a Rolex to complement! :colone:

Still jealous btw
Original post by Bio 7
Why would you want white?
And this doesn't prove you bought one. If I posted a castle it doesn't mean I own it.

Lowkey I think white ones are one of the nicest.
No one comes to a student forum for owner's advice on a specific car, you go to Reddit or many other devoted forums/Facebook groups. Seeing as no one will be impressed on those it begs the question as to why you came here of all places
That is a reasonable point.

However of more relevance is that all it takes is a change of circumstances, like losing your job, and you're up the creek without a paddle with monthly payments hanging over your head.
And all because of a car that's not even that fast nor comfortable nor big nor reliable. They do look desirable.

It's also 3k per year depreciation, 4k per year insurance with a lousy black box. All of which is money that can't be spent or invested elsewhere. It is, of course his money and his life, to spend as he pleases.
Original post by RichPiana
And here’s a picture of my Lamborghini Aventador that I just purchased:
A2C945F2-550E-4D76-A6D3-FE9BE897C9EA.jpeg

......and you can see my Beverley Hills Lamborghini dealership just in the background - I hope you're happy with the car,Rich, (remember I gave you a real good deal on that one as you're a loyal customer)..
Original post by Morven777
......and you can see my Beverley Hills Lamborghini dealership just in the background - I hope you're happy with the car,Rich, (remember I gave you a real good deal on that one as you're a loyal customer)..

Thanks for the great deal, I’m enjoying the new car. Currently driving around Hollywood :h:
Can I just say, I just purchased a small tin of catfood.
Make sure op you have money lying around to pay for that things insurance and maintenance costs. I'm sure those guys at money and fiance will help you out there.
And here’s a picture of my Lamborghini Aventador that I just purchased:
A2C945F2-550E-4D76-A6D3-FE9BE897C9EA.jpeg

Ives gots 2😂
I know that if you have a very good credit rating and prior saving history with them most credit unions will let you borrow up to £15,000 torwards new purchases with quite a good interest rate to match. I’d imagine because of the more personal nature of the institution they’d be a bit more lenient in the event of change of circumstances such as a job loss than a conventional lender.

Your point about depreciation and insurance is still very much true, however. Hence why pre-used cars are the better option if you have to buy big and fancy. Let someone else take the financial hit
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
That is a reasonable point.

However of more relevance is that all it takes is a change of circumstances, like losing your job, and you're up the creek without a paddle with monthly payments hanging over your head.
And all because of a car that's not even that fast nor comfortable nor big nor reliable. They do look desirable.

It's also 3k per year depreciation, 4k per year insurance with a lousy black box. All of which is money that can't be spent or invested elsewhere. It is, of course his money and his life, to spend as he pleases.
Thanks for the great deal, I’m enjoying the new car. Currently driving around Hollywood :h:

I saw you with that Scarlett Johansson in the Lambo, last night...lookin' good !
Original post by Morven777
I saw you with that Scarlett Johansson in the Lambo, last night...lookin' good !

I picked her up and drove her to my place last night for some late night Netflix and chill :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending