The Student Room Group

Northern Independence

Scroll to see replies

I think Scotland is more like the North of England obviously for geographic and cultural ties. London is like the complete opposite in my eyes.
Original post by L i b
In terms of most surveys on social attitudes, London is closer to Scotland than the rest of England. Personally I've links to Scotland and London/SE - everything in between is really just an occasional place to visit.
Original post by AyrshireStudent
I think Scotland is more like the North of England obviously for geographic and cultural ties. London is like the complete opposite in my eyes.

Lib was referring to them both being liberal diversity loving preachy places i suspect.

Granted its easier to find the hidden underbelly of social conservatism in Scotland once you leave the Central Belt.
Forget Northern independence, the south should just leave the UK.

We pay more into the UK budget more than what we get back out. We have a much larger economy and could easily survive on our own. A free trade deal between the UK and The South would be easy.

I don't want northern migrants coming into the south either. Southern jobs for southern people, please.
Original post by SHallowvale

We pay more into the UK budget more than what we get back out. We have a much larger economy and could easily survive on our own. A free trade deal between the UK and The South would be easy.

I don't want northern migrants coming into the south either. Southern jobs for southern people, please.

You are confusing the South with London. Without london, the South isn't much better off than the north. In fact without the London the south is just a bunch of pretty insignificant towns.
Original post by ByEeek
You are confusing the South with London. Without london, the South isn't much better off than the north. In fact without the London the south is just a bunch of pretty insignificant towns.

Except for Brighton, Oxford, Southampton, Reading, Portsmouth, Dover, etc.... :wink:
We don’t want southerners up north either, coming up here driving up our affordable house prices

You mean bringing money in?
I'm not on any benefits; I don't need southern money. I certainly don't need you lot coming up here buying up our housing stock making it more difficult for us to find somewhere
Except for Brighton, Oxford, Southampton, Reading, Portsmouth, Dover, etc.... :wink:

Reading? That really is an insignificant shithole

Yep. Small towns compared to Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Bradford, Newcastle.

I don't think you understand how an economy works mate. To be honest a north without the south would be dream either way, but to not realise how the north has fuelled the souths wealth is downright naive. The south would not survive without the north and thats the point of us leaving.
Original post by TomSmith12345
I don't think you understand how an economy works mate. To be honest a north without the south would be dream either way, but to not realise how the north has fuelled the souths wealth is downright naive. The south would not survive without the north and thats the point of us leaving.

Prove it
Original post by ByEeek

Were those really the biggest towns the southern guy could think of... Imagine saying dover but not realising how many vital cities the north has
Were those really the biggest towns the southern guy could think of... Imagine saying dover but not realising how many vital cities the north has

It wasn't a pop. The south is surprisongly rural and many people who live in the south commute to London from miles around. The south is basically London.
Original post by ColinDent
Reading? That really is an insignificant ****hole

Yet a very important transport hub and has a lot of wealth regardless.

Including buying up houses that are on the market and wouldn't otherwise be bought, renovating them with the aid of local professionals and local services and overall helping the economy where the locals can't?

Original post by ByEeek

They're all cities, bar Dover and Brighton. Given that London is actually part of Southern England, I'd lump that in there too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yet a very important transport hub and has a lot of wealth regardless.

Including buying up houses that are on the market and wouldn't otherwise be bought, renovating them with the aid of local professionals and local services and overall helping the economy where the locals can't?

They're all cities, bar Dover and Brighton. Given that London is actually part of Southern England, I'd lump that in there too.

I hate to be pedantic but Brighton and Hove is a city, whereas Reading is a shithole of a town, full of plastic scummers.
Reply 76
Meh the north is more than welcome to become independent, i'd be curious to see how they'd intend to survive economically though given that half of the poorest regions in Europe happen to be in northern England.
Original post by Napp
Meh the north is more than welcome to become independent, i'd be curious to see how they'd intend to survive economically though given that half of the poorest regions in Europe happen to be in northern England.

Most of that poverty is caused by a lack of development via investment from the south. They have failed our healthcare, education, infrastructure and everything in-between...
Reply 78
Most of that poverty is caused by a lack of development via investment from the south. They have failed our healthcare, education, infrastructure and everything in-between...

In essence what you said was the north needs to be subsidised by the south because it can’t compete...

Original post by Napp
In essence what you said was the north needs to be subsidised by the south because it can’t compete...

---

In essence what you(tom) want is communism. Forced redistribution of wealth from the rich to the poor, because you believe that the rich is rich because the poor is poor.. basic communism.

Take this as an easy example for you to get your head around (based on real goverment ecomonic statistcs, but put in a way you can understand)

You have two men. Man A earns $30 a week. Man B earns $70 a week.

(the north, the south)

Currently both men put their money into a joint bank account, and each week Man A spends $40, and man B spends $60

You look at this difference in spending(investment), whilst ignoring the difference in income and say that's not fair!! Why does Man A only get to spend $40 of their $100? and not half? He is not getting his fair share.. Man B is getting more!

That's true of the North and the south, currently the south gets more investment and spends more on itself then the north does...

From this you come to the conclusion that Man A would be better leaving Man B, and going on his own...

If that were to happen though, Man A would suddenly only have $30 a week to spend, as they would quickly loose the $10 they were spending of B's money each week. This is exactly what will happen to the North. They currently spend all of their own money each year, plus billions of money generated in the south. In the event of independence, they would only be able to spend their own revenue, which is less then they currently spend.

If though, you look at spending relative to income, you get a different picture. In fact, Man A spends 125% of their total income on themselves.. yet man B only spends 86% (or so) of their income. Now is that fair?

A capitalist and free market thinker says that B should be able to have complete freedom over his own money, bar the amount that he chooses to give up to help others through taxes or charity. In a capitalist society, B+A are both being treated fairly.. B earns more, so B keeps more.. but B gives some to A each month to help him out.

In a communist society, A+B must have equal money, regardless of how much they earn. No matter what they are earning, A must recieve $50, and B must recieve $50.

That is what you would be advocating for if you want the north to recieve the same money as the south, a communist type system where all areas recieve the same money regardless of how much each area earns.. Forced redistrubution of wealth.

You can make the arguement that by redistrubting wealth, eventually the north will rise to equal the south and income will match spending, but that is a hard case to make and one without long-term proof backing it up.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending