The Student Room Group

Lying about references

So on my Cv i said i volunteered in my local library for a year (despite only doing work experience for a week). I accepted the job offer and now the company are asking for a reference. I know I screwed up but is it likely I'll get caught out?
Potentially but you can still get the library people to write you a reference just ask them to underline your duties and focus on your character. Alternatively I'm sure you could ask your school/college (current, past etc.) for a reference.
Who volunteers at a library for an entire year? :lolwut:
You lied. You will get caught
Original post by TheWinterSoilder
So on my Cv i said i volunteered in my local library for a year (despite only doing work experience for a week). I accepted the job offer and now the company are asking for a reference. I know I screwed up but is it likely I'll get caught out?
Lmao back when I was a neek this was my dream job 😭😭🤦🏾*♀️
Original post by Quick-use
Reply 5
Is the prior work at the library related to the job you have secured? If not, then don't use them as a reference - get your school or director of studies to provide a reference instead.
Original post by sunshinehss
Lmao back when I was a neek this was my dream job 😭😭🤦🏾*♀️

It was actually my dream job when I was 13 or 14 :lol:. But, that's because all I wanted to do was to read books all day. Pretty sure I could've done that without volunteering at a library for a year... :lolwut:
If they specify they want a reference from your previous employer then you’re ****ed.

If not then you can give someone else as a reference
Yh they asked for 2 references 😬. I was only there for work experience but most of the staff have been switched out for new employee's. Do you think there's a chance I don't get found out

You will almost certainly be found out if you use the library. When employers don't want to give a reference, or can't remember the person etc then the minimum they give are the dates of employment/volunteering. Confirming the dates you were there is about the most certain thing you can be sure they will mention.

Use a different referee!
The store is Debenhams. Should I just call in to tell them
I am you. You are me. We are one.:beer:
It was actually my dream job when I was 13 or 14 :lol:. But, that's because all I wanted to do was to read books all day. Pretty sure I could've done that without volunteering at a library for a year... :lolwut:

I did in sixth form. We had to volunteer somewhere for 1 afternoon a week for a year and the library was a much more appealing option than a primary school or a charity shop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending