The Student Room Group

A/AS Results Day Countdown - get ready - put your lucky socks on and #beresultsproud

Poll

Which emoji best reflects your mood

Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day).

We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?
3. How did your exams go?

For Yr 13:
4. What university is your firm/insurance?
5. Which subject?
6. What grades are required?

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted?
8. How are you feeling about results day?
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs
RESULTS

When can I collect my results from school/college?
That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the time then ring them up on Wednesday the 16th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.
How do I collect my results online?
Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.
When do unis get our results?
UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Friday or Saturday. Universities then spend Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

Grade Boundaries unashamed click bait

Spoiler

UCAS
UCAS
I've change my mind about the course/university I want to go to - what do I do?
See this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice

Track on Results Day

When will Track update?
Track will go live between 6am and 8am on results day. UCAS say 8am (and 7:30am for Advisers) - it might go live earlier. It WON'T go live at midnight.

Once it "goes live" EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS.
Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people every year don't get a clear answer from Track first thing on Results Day - they have to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance uni.

My Track didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
NO - once Track goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). Track WILL NOT CHANGE between 6am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else. Give yourself some good karma - get off Track and go and buy the Telegraph(just in case), get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get ready to collect your results from School.

-what will Track show
It depends how quick your universities are. There's a lot of scenarios. The post below gives an idea of what might show,what that means and what you need to do about that. Use the flowchart at the end of this post as a quick reference:smile:
Track scenarios

Spoiler

My Track didn't change! That means I failed!
NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS. If Track hasn't changed then that means that either:
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've missed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.

In other words - if Track hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....150,000 of them were rejected by both their firm and insurance and placed in Clearing. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!
NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers. If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go into School/College expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Clearing ARRRRGH!
TO BE ADDED CLEARING THREAD

I did really badly - what do I do now?
TO BE ADDED REMARK/RESIT THREAD

Results day stats from last year:

Spoiler

Results Day Flowchart
pdf version
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My poll has been censored :mad:
There should be a :bootyshake:
Original post by PQ
Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day).

We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?

For Yr 13:
5. Which subject?

For everyone:
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs
RESULTS

Spoiler

UCAS

Spoiler

thank you for making the thread again this year PQ:smile: good luck to anyone getting their results
Quoting in everyone from the Yr 13 thread (sorry!!!!)

Spoiler

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?

For Yr 13:
5. Which subject?

For everyone:
9. Anything else to add?
(edited 4 years ago)
bruhh I had forgotten about school until this
AS or A level?
A-Levels

What subjects?
1. Maths (AQA)
2. Further Maths (AQA)
3. Biology (OCR)
4. Chemistry (OCR)
5. Also did EPQ (though that has been awarded)

How did your exams go?
Maths was fine. Further maths was beyond atrocious, I've never left so much blank. Biology wasn't greater either - OCR seemed to love plants. I do not. Chemistry was okay - P3 was tricky though. I'm honestly dreading results day so much - I feel like I know that I've missed my offer for my firm.

What university is your firm/insurance?
Warwick - Firm
Manchester - Insurance

Which subject?
Maths

What grades are required?
Warwick offer is A*A*A* or A*A*AA (A*A* in maths and further maths)
Manchester is AAA (including further maths)

What grades are you predicted?
A*A*A*A* (plus an a* achieved already in EPQ)
These aren't going to happen though.

How are you feeling about results day?
Absolutely terrified. I'm most worried about further maths - feel as if that's where I'm going to miss my offer. It has to be <70% for an A* for me to even stand a chance, somewhere closer to 60% would be ideal. Biology too is worrying me - I didn't think the exams went great because a lot of people insisted the exams were easy. Worried about chemistry too actually, as it's usually very high boundaries for an A* and I keep going over all my mistakes. As you can tell, terrified doesn't even cut it.
Original post by MediocreSince01
AS or A level?
A-Levels

What subjects?
1. Maths (AQA)
2. Further Maths (AQA)
3. Biology (OCR)
4. Chemistry (OCR)
5. Also did EPQ (though that has been awarded)

How did your exams go?
Maths was fine. Further maths was beyond atrocious, I've never left so much blank. Biology wasn't greater either - OCR seemed to love plants. I do not. Chemistry was okay - P3 was tricky though. I'm honestly dreading results day so much - I feel like I know that I've missed my offer for my firm.

Warwick - Firm
Manchester - Insurance

Which subject?
Maths

Warwick offer is A*A*A* or A*A*AA (A*A* in maths and further maths)
Manchester is AAA (including further maths)

A*A*A*A* (plus an a* achieved already in EPQ)
These aren't going to happen though.

Absolutely terrified. I'm most worried about further maths - feel as if that's where I'm going to miss my offer. It has to be <70% for an A* for me to even stand a chance, somewhere closer to 60% would be ideal. Biology too is worrying me - I didn't think the exams went great because a lot of people insisted the exams were easy. Worried about chemistry too actually, as it's usually very high boundaries for an A* and I keep going over all my mistakes. As you can tell, terrified doesn't even cut it.

people can often think exams are easy/hard and turns out they had gotten more right than they expected, hopefully that's the case for you :smile:
Original post by khuwayl.a
bruhh I had forgotten about school until this

you can still enjoy the next few weeks before letting yourself worry about it. are you getting as or a level results ? :smile:
[...]
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _gcx
AS or A level?
A-level
What subjects?
Maths, further maths, physics, history, EPQ + STEP II/III
How did your exams go?
Maths and physics were largely fine. Further maths didn't go as well as I wanted, but should hopefully still be a decent amount clear of the A* boundary. STEP II was ok but STEP III was disastrous despite the consensus being the opposite. Most worried about STEP III.

For Yr 13:
Firm Cambridge Insurance Warwick

Which subject?
Maths
A*A*A (A* in FM) + 11 in both STEPs and AAA + 2 in either STEP

For everyone:
A*A*A*A with an A in History. The A in History won't happen, because I stopped caring about it and did very little to no preparation for any of the exams. Probably looking at a C or there abouts, which doesn't bother me that much provided the other subjects go well. Would like the others to be accurate but wouldn't be too upset with an A in physics. (aimed for the A*)
Fine at the moment but it'll catch up. Most nerves will be alleviated at midnight when STEP results come out. Unless I get a 2 in STEP III, then I won't know what's happening until the next morning.
Anything else to add?
Inevitably going to be disappointed with my STEP. Hopefully that's the only disappointment. One of the questions I did had an error in it so might get some adjustment for that even though I did spot the error eventually.

I hope you get the results you need :smile: if anything doesn't go your way, you've got plenty of volunteers behind you who can help.
Original post by _gcx
x

Incredibly thankful I got rejected from Cambridge; meant I'd not have to do STEP. Don't know how you managed it, especially 2 and 3
Original post by MediocreSince01
Incredibly thankful I got rejected from Cambridge; meant I'd not have to do STEP. Don't know how you managed it, especially 2 and 3

Well whether I managed STEP III is up for debate. May well be meeting you at warwick.
Original post by _gcx
Well whether I managed STEP III is up for debate. May well be meeting you at warwick.

Unfortunately won’t be happening ahaha, A* in further maths isn’t gonna happen when I didn’t answer like 30-40% of the paper
I'm Ammar, finished my A Levels (completed it mate): Maths, FM, Physics, and CompSci. Exams probably went tragic but that's most probably pessimism talking and I've done ok.

Uni in September, CompSci at Soton or Leeds if I get a B (which seems likely ngl). AAA is looking a bit aspirational at the moment.

My predictions got me rejected post interview from Oxbridge so yeah I'm a salty Oxbridge reject, 4As doesn't cut it when the requirements are at least 2A*s - thanks school, clearly they didn't care at all did they eh.

All that I've got to say besides that is good luck to all of you, and good riddance to A levels.
Are you a sadist. Why on earth would anyone create this thread? People just go off and enjoy the summer. Be young be foolish but be happy!
Original post by PQ
My poll has been censored :mad:
There should be a :bootyshake:
Original post by Scotney
Are you a sadist. Why on earth would anyone create this thread? People just go off and enjoy the summer. Be young be foolish but be happy!

Someone always creates one of these threads. 6 weeks is ages!

Good luck everyone! :biggrin:

As you can expect :tsr: is here to help when it comes to your results and getting into university, or wherever you go next. :awesome:
Original post by Scotney

I can independently verify that PQ is not a sadist. :wink:
(edited 4 years ago)
Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level? A level
2. What subjects? Economics, Spanish, Further Maths (took Maths last year - A*)
3. How did your exams go? Economics as a general whole went the best, I'd say. I think I could get an A*, and if not, an A. Spanish was average: so I think I'll just be midrange A. Further Maths was haaaard, so I may get a B or an A if I'm lucky.

For Yr 13:
4. What university is your firm/insurance? Leeds, then Sheffield
5. Which subject? Economics and Russian (joint honours)
6. What grades are required? Same offer for the both of them: just one A needed.

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted? A*A*A* (obviously not a chance, my teachers were generous). I'd be happy with A*AA or anything above.
8. How are you feeling about results day? Tbh, I'm putting it out my mind as much as possible. What's done is done, and I wasted GCSE summer worrying, so I'm not going to do the same here.
9. Anything else to add? Did you guys have to remind me that there were only 6 weeks left????!!! :angry: :laugh: To everyone else I say, seriously forget about it. Don't let it ruin your summer. Stop imagining it. Stop thinking about it.
Original post by AmmarTa
I'm Ammar, finished my A Levels (completed it mate): Maths, FM, Physics, and CompSci. Exams probably went tragic but that's most probably pessimism talking and I've done ok.

Uni in September, CompSci at Soton or Leeds if I get a B (which seems likely ngl). AAA is looking a bit aspirational at the moment.

My predictions got me rejected post interview from Oxbridge so yeah I'm a salty Oxbridge reject, 4As doesn't cut it when the requirements are at least 2A*s - thanks school, clearly they didn't care at all did they eh.

All that I've got to say besides that is good luck to all of you, and good riddance to A levels.

Good riddance to A levels, exactly! :smile:
Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
A level

2. What subjects?
Biology, chemistry, maths, epq

Maths was awful, as I expected. Biology and chemistry paper 1 and 2 were pretty good, paper 3s were not as good.

For Yr 13:

Firm: University of oxford
Insurance: University of warick

5. Which subject?
Biomedical sciences

Firm: A*AA
Insurance: 3Bs

For everyone:
A*A*A*

Nope

9. Anything else to add?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest