The Student Room Group

Warning light on car

I had a red warning light flash on my car and then the car stopped and refused to move for about a minute. I now understand that it has something to do with low engine oil/pressure. I’ve arranged for it to be seen at the dealership I bought it from. Is this a serious issue, and Is it safe to drive there?

Scroll to see replies

Bump
Original post by cherryred90s
I had a red warning light flash on my car and then the car stopped and refused to move for about a minute. I now understand that it has something to do with low engine oil/pressure. I’ve arranged for it to be seen at the dealership I bought it from. Is this a serious issue, and Is it safe to drive there?
what make is it?
ds3
(edited 4 years ago)
Peugeot 108
Original post by tesconyc
what make is it
Check if the piston’s oil isn’t leaking.
Reply 5

No.. it's not safe to drive..

Any damage has already been done. Prepare to buy a new engine
Original post by IWMTom
No.. it's not safe to drive..

Any damage has already been done. Prepare to buy a new engine

I have warranty with the car, so surely any work that needs doing is covered? It’s only 3 years old. This is all so frustrating
Reply 7
I have warranty with the car, so surely any work that needs doing is covered? It’s only 3 years old. This is all so frustrating

Warranty doesn't cover you if you didn't check your oil level.
Original post by IWMTom
Warranty doesn't cover you if you didn't check your oil level.

It was serviced and inspected immediately before I bought it (which was only a couple of weeks ago) so I don’t see how any of this is my fault. If it was a recent problem that occurred after I got it, shouldn’t there have been a yellow warning light first? There wasn’t.
Reply 9
It was serviced and inspected immediately before I bought it (which was only a couple of weeks ago) so I don’t see how any of this is my fault. If it was a recent problem that occurred after I got it, shouldn’t there have been a yellow warning light first? There wasn’t.

No, not if it was leaking.
Original post by IWMTom
No, not if it was leaking.

Right, so if it was leaking then surely that should’ve been picked up when it was serviced ?

If it had only just started leaking in the two weeks since I bought it, surely there must have been an underlying issue with it that wasn’t picked up by them? Or do cars just start to leak oil for no reason?
Reply 11
Right, so if it was leaking then surely that should’ve been picked up when it was serviced ?

If it had only just started leaking in the two weeks since I bought it, surely there must have been an underlying issue with it that wasn’t picked up by them? Or do cars just start to leak oil for no reason?

Get it towed and checked.
Original post by IWMTom
Get it towed and checked.

Thank you, I will do
Reply 13
Oh boy. Engine oil control rings gave out, if you stop using it you may be able to salvage the rotating assembly.
Reply 14
Oh, and tell the person giving your engine a checkup to take a look at your main crankshaft bearings too. Hopefully if anything did get scuffed it would be the bearings and not the crank.

Also, if you do have to change the engine, see if your block and head are in good shape, it will reduce your cost if you do end up paying for it (most likely scenario if engine got damaged).

Did you hear any strange noises from the engine when this happened?
Original post by HQazi96
Oh, and tell the person giving your engine a checkup to take a look at your main crankshaft bearings too. Hopefully if anything did get scuffed it would be the bearings and not the crank.

Also, if you do have to change the engine, see if your block and head are in good shape, it will reduce your cost if you do end up paying for it (most likely scenario if engine got damaged).

Alright thanks. I’ll see what they say when I take it in on Monday

No not always, you should be regularly checking the oil level, especially if you're going on a long journey.

What was the oil level like when you bought it?
Original post by LTEcactus
Did you hear any strange noises from the engine when this happened?

No. The car just stopped for about a minute, that’s it
Original post by LTEcactus
No not always, you should be regularly checking the oil level, especially if you're going on a long journey.

What was the oil level like when you bought it?

I didn’t think I needed to check the oil level of a car that had just been serviced before I bought it.
How often am I supposed to be checking it?
I’ve no idea what the oil level was when I got it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending