The Student Room Group

Failed module in final year and can't graduate - what now?

I was due to graduate my law degree and somehow tanked an exam in one of my modules, causing me to fail that module and therefore making me ineligible to receive my degree. I've contacted my uni and am awaiting a response but in the meantime what do I do?? Has anyone experienced this before? I'm unsure if I can retake this summer or be re-entered to retake during next year's exam period as I'm a finalist. Will I have to redo 3rd year all over again?? How do I handle grad schemes that I've applied to? Same with postgrad degrees?? I really, really appreciate any and all serious advice...
(edited 2 years ago)
Wait until you hear back from the uni. I would guess you'll be allowed to resit in summer and would graduate in the late graduations. I think this will prevent you getting your grad scheme stuff as they'll want you to actually graduate. But it's not the end of the world... You'll just start all this a bit later.
You are a lawyer, analysis and logical thinking should be your cup of tea.
Mostly what Doodle said.

1. Failing a module means you dont have 360 credits, so they cant pass you unless you were near a condoned.
2. Resit in July or whenever the resit period is.
3. Find out when the resit results are out from department or registry. Before the start of term. That is the time of graduation and the rest is just a ceremony.
4. No to 3rd year module unless it was the second time failing and it seems to be the first.
5. Submit an ext circs claim if you had documented medical or personal reasons for poor performance
6. Wait to see if any grad schemes come back, then at some stage you will need to tell them.
7. Postgrad degrees also need to know but same as above see if any of them offer you a place.
6. Does the 40 make a difference to your overall grade? Check.
(edited 2 years ago)
Every university is different so you need to check. Either they make you retake the module and cap you at 40, condone pass the module, so you failed the module but it's given as a pass (so you pass your degree), or make you retake the year. If it's not either of those (which it most likely will be), you will be being dismissed from the university (but this rarely happens).
(edited 2 years ago)
Don't worry, you'll probably be fine. I will explain what would happen at my uni, as I assume it is similar for all.

You'll be offered a second attempt at the exam in the "summer supplementary period" which is often August. That exam result will get capped at 40%, meaning that if you score higher than 40/100 in the exam retake then they will change your mark to be 40/100 for the exam. If your module is 100% exam, your best case outcome is you pass the summer resit and that module mark will be 40%. If you had other assessments for the module, that's good news because those will still be used to calculate your grade (so your final mark in that module will be pulled up to be higher than 40%). :smile:

My university actually permits you to fail 1 module a year, so long as it isn't a "core module" and you achieve at least 25% in the module. This is called to "Pass by compensation" for that module. If your uni has the same system, then even if you fail your exam resit you will probably pass the year and graduate (so long as you achieve a paltry 25% for the module). Try googling "[your uni] pass by compensation" and see if you can find an official PDF or webpage explaining it.

If you have a grad scheme or postgrad lined up, this probably won't be an issue unless the post begins BEFORE your results come out following your resit. You'll have to find out from your university when the supplementary exam period is (or try googling it).
(edited 2 years ago)
I would be surprised if the resit period is in 2020 as that means people who failed and resit cannot continue their course for a year, which is contrary to very uni I know. As pointed out after me each unis rules are unique to it, so what goes for one uni is no guarantee of what happens at another, thats why as a lawyer you need to read the rules to see how it is handled. It isnt the end of the world not being able to go to the ceremony you dont grad with friends, but you will most likely grad with the postgrads before or after Christmas.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey, sorry to hear this! You should be able to retake asap but you may graduate late now. Im not 100%, i think thee best thing to do is wait for your uni to reply and help you!
Sophia
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm really glad I could help! Hopefully you'll hear a bit back from your uni tomorrow -- let us know how it goes!
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh no :frown: I'm really sorry to hear that, what a terribly set up system. Is it early 2020, or at the same time as your exam was this year? Ask them whether you need student funding at all for next year and whether you'll still be considered a student during that time. In the meanwhile, I'd recommend doing anything you can related to your career, like finding placements or even a job related to your field for the year. Even an unrelated job would be good though.

As it's causing so much disruption to your plans, maybe you should ask if you can pass by compensation to graduate now rather than take the resit.
(edited 2 years ago)
What uni is this? I never heard about resits in the following year...
Did your university ever get back to you about your overall grade for this module, if it is capped? As my unis regulations are that even if you fail an exam the whole module will get capped at 40%. In addition check how they work out your degree classification and see if it makes a difference. My university will just deduct a certain percentage from your overall grade based on the number of credits. Therefore it could mean you graduate on time and with a 2:1!
I’m so sorry for that. You can always take the year off and get some work experience.

I studied law at undergrad and planned on taking a gap year to get some work experience before starting a masters. it has been life changing and I actually recommend it to everyone! You may change your mind as to which masters degree you want to do after getting some work experience in an area that may interest you a lot. This may be a blessing in disguise.
I graduated last year so I’m still on that gap year ahaha. I’m currently working in financial regulation at a bank and plan on starting a masters degree either late this year or early next year in business or/and management.

I had applied and got accepted into Warwick’s master’s degree in Intenational Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation but since I managed to get a job in financial regulation without the degree I cancelled it. I think it’s better to actually start a career before committing to a masters degree because only then you will know what masters helps you doing internal mobility within your company or elsewhere. But that’s just my opinion and personal experience.
(edited 2 years ago)
Ok will take your word for it but I dont think it makes sense as unis are normally keen to get rid of students. This has you hanging round and every other uni I know handle it differently.

I dont think the postgrads will or can take you.
Depending where youve applied I would wait but I dont think the grad schemes will either especially if its law.
What module was it?
(edited 2 years ago)
Well IF the next resit is a whole year away, then i guess you dont have much choice but to try and defer your place at Zurich (probably best to avoid telling them u failed a module if you can). But not having a summer resit period is highly abnormal, could you request for an examination by viva this summer, its unlikely to be granted but its better than waiting a year if possible.
(edited 2 years ago)
a viva is an oral examination, it's a bit like an interview. Normally you do these at the end of your dissertation or when submitting a thesis, however they can extend out for other subjects.
(edited 2 years ago)
they should offer a resit in the summer, as long as you attended classes from my experience, with my university, don't panic to much, as if you pass the resit you can carry on to your place at Zurich, as you will have your
It's outrageous that they don't offer standard resits to final years. Heartbreaking too what you said about the postgrad course. Have a chat with your uni careers service or student office to make sure there is absolutely no way around this and ask for their advice about the postgrad course. Following that I suppose the best you can do is ask if that course will let you defer and hope that they will :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hiya - I just found this on the SOAS website. At your university, it is called a condoned fail. Check the attachment! Hope this helps.
Reply 19
Original post by mariasanchez1234
I graduated last year so I’m still on that gap year ahaha. I’m currently working in financial regulation at a bank and plan on starting a masters degree either late this year or early next year in business or/and management.

I had applied and got accepted into Warwick’s master’s degree in Intenational Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation but since I managed to get a job in financial regulation without the degree I cancelled it. I think it’s better to actually start a career before committing to a masters degree because only then you will know what masters helps you doing internal mobility within your company or elsewhere. But that’s just my opinion and personal experience.

Do you currently have an ordinary degree then? I'm in a similar situation so wanting to know what you did!

Latest

Trending

Trending