The Student Room Group

Brexit party compared to Nazis after Ode to Joy snub

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Merridan
Oh really? So completely going against the will of the people and ignoring a binding referendum (which was promised to be carried out) then calling a party (BP) which was by a country mile elected by more people, Nazis and therefore suggesting that a significant chunk of the population is NAZI SUPPORTING

And you claim I'm the one who has lost the plot

Oh and it does not help that the Remainers are trying to claim that they somehow won the EU elections despite the Brexit party getting 29 MEPs and The liberal Democrats getting 16 in the end.

Thats nearly double

And now they claim the Brexit party are akin to NAZIs ....They have lost the plot Napp

They may not be Nazis but they have some pretty strange views.

Farage has often spoken about his contempt for various British institutions, including the NHS, which he regularly disparages on his highly paid US tours.

Ann Widdecombe, when she was a Tory MP (not very long ago) was in favour of shackling pregnant women prisoners in hospital. She believes that women who have been raped should be forced to give birth if pregnant as a result. She has always opposed gay rights and indeed pretty much anything modern.

Brexit Party MEP, Bill Etheridge, had his European Parliament page covered in a series of images while upon entering the website, users were asked if they are "looking for sex in Brussels?" Upon entering the website, users were asked to confirm if they were over the age of 18 and were prompted with a message if they responded, yes. The message read: “Many of these women are desperate single moms and cheating wives looking for some fun".
Original post by QE2
Once Brexit has happened we will be able to buy all the flammable flags we want from America. One in the eye for those unelected eurocrats and their Kindermädchenstaat!

Not only that, but we can purchase neo-fascist militaristic rallies from the New Trump Republicans. They are planning a Soviet-style tanks 'n troops march-past for July 4th this year. It's not the EU that's most like the old Soviet Union. It's Washington DC.
Original post by Burton Bridge
The whole thing is childish.

Comparing the Brexit party to the Nazis is gutter press style reporting at its most extreme. The eu played their "National Anthem" meaning that all the Country's become one nation. Since they bring Hitler into this (Godwins law). Farage and co. stood up in respect of an anthem but do not accept it as an National one and have been elected to opposed ideals of the EU ever closer union.

Now on the day I was listening to LBC where Ann widdecombe and a lib dem MEP was, shouting at each other about this. In honestly the lib dem was the most unliberal and adult about this event, the irony.

However its so childish. Let's be honest if you cannot command enough of the English language to design a T shirt without swearing, then you are highlighting how thick remainers really are, irony is, it is they who have been calling the brexiteers thick, stupid or racist since the vote.

As for the Brexit party turning their backs on the EU anthem, it's not quite as bad. After all their whole existence is formed of not wishing to belong to the EU, however it really doesn't exactly scream maturity if we're honest, does it?

The European Parliament has seen many publicity stunts over the last 40 years and Farage should have realised that the perpetrators of such stunts never look good.
Dear God... hate Brexit by every stretch of the imagination, but as elected representatives of the Brexit Party, they do not need to in any way associate with the anthem, and have every right to refuse to acknowledge it and push for Brexit, comparisons to Nazis are desperate and unbecoming of actual political debate.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Dear God... hate Brexit by every stretch of the imagination, but as elected representatives of the Brexit Party, they do not need to in any way associate with the anthem, and have every right to refuse to acknowledge it and push for Brexit, comparisons to Nazis are desperate and unbecoming of actual political debate.

I agree, apart from the hating brexit part that is.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Farage has often spoken about his contempt for various British institutions, including the NHS, which he regularly disparages on his highly paid US tours.

Ann Widdecombe, when she was a Tory MP (not very long ago) was in favour of shackling pregnant women prisoners in hospital. She believes that women who have been raped should be forced to give birth if pregnant as a result. She has always opposed gay rights and indeed pretty much anything modern.

Brexit Party MEP, Bill Etheridge, had his European Parliament page covered in a series of images while upon entering the website, users were asked if they are "looking for sex in Brussels?" Upon entering the website, users were asked to confirm if they were over the age of 18 and were prompted with a message if they responded, yes. The message read: “Many of these women are desperate single moms and cheating wives looking for some fun".

Regards Ann's veiws, Female prisoners should not be treated any different because they are pregnant. I feel the system is far too light on women. I assume her other veiws are based around the teachings of the Catholic Church? If so why should we not respect them, part of being a Liberal tolerant society is to tolerate the veiws you don't like as well as the ones you do.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet

Agreed 100%
Regards Ann's veiws, Female prisoners should not be treated any different because they are pregnant. I feel the system is far too light on women. I assume her other veiws are based around the teachings of the Catholic Church? If so why should we not respect them, part of being a Liberal tolerant society is to tolerate the veiws you don't like as well as the ones you do.

You know who to vote for then. Most other people will be wondering how this throwback ever made it into Parliament, let alone Europe.
Original post by BeetRoots
No, Parliament is Sovereign and no referendum in the UK has legal force, that's all there is to it. If a government has 'promised' something that's their error.

Well you are going to have to help me out with the inconsistencies in the hard core remainer arugement. You are now saying lies are OK as long as it by the remain campaign, correct? Make you're minds up are you against lies or are they OK?

The irony is amazing when you have just complained about quote
'Plenty of people were sold on Brexit' because lies like how millions would be diverted to the NHS every week if we left'

Your own words you typed them. Furthermore that is not a lie, it's true. The bus message was factually accurate, it was misleading but its not a lie. Leaving the EU is nothing to do with left and right anyway, I want to see a big state with high taxation, however I want Westminster in control of where that tax is spent so I can hold them to account at the ballot box!

It seems to me hard core anti democratic remaniac's, simply just want to stop Brexit, avoid Brexit and will say or do anything to achive it because they don't like it. It's like a child rebelling against their parents because they have been told they have to go to bed!
(edited 4 years ago)
Brexit Party PR Strategy:

1) Do something that Nazis once did
2) People notice that Nazis also did that thing
3) Complain they're being persecuted and compared to Nazis
You know who to vote for then. Most other people will be wondering how this throwback ever made it into Parliament, let alone Europe.

Are you saying those strong practicing Catholic's should be barred from Parliament. If so, you're veiws are in danger starting to slip into bigotry?

I think we must tolerate people's religious beliefs, it's important people can speak and hold various religious beliefs in our country. That'd what makes us better than the rest of the world, its the left wing that has fought for this right.
Original post by nulli tertius
The European Parliament has seen many publicity stunts over the last 40 years and Farage should have realised that the perpetrators of such stunts never look good.

Exactly, the Lib Dems pathetic display was embarrassing! The brexit party well they have been democratically elected to refuse to acknowledge the EUs power and push for Brexit. However I just think it was a little childish. Personally I think if they had not done this, it would of looked so much better for brexiteers, particularly with the lib dens, their opposition only with half their MEPs, acting like school children!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 52
Exactly, the Lib Dems pathetic display was embarrassing! The brexit party well they have been democratically elected to refuse to acknowledge the EUs power and push for Brexit.

Since when? They have no power over Brexit negotiations. Also how exactly are you defining democracy here? I mean local councils are notionally 'democratic' but given that the turnout is always spectacularly low and its used as a way of giving the finger to the actual government...
Equally why are the lib-dems being 'pathetic' after that meat bag Widecombe managed to offend an entire continent + with her dipshit remarks on slavery. Nevermind half of Britain.
Original post by Andrew97
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-party-meps-turn-their-backs-on-eus-ode-to-joy-anthem-in-european-parliament-11754995

A story of BP MEPs turning their back on the EU anthem ode to joy. A photo has been circulating on the twitter of Nazi party members turning their back on the Reichstag in the 1920s/1930s.

A ridiculous comparison of you ask me.

To be absolutely clear, the Brexit party, and all populists, are regularly called undemocratic and compared to Nazis but what their critics mean to say is that they do not agree with them. Nothing more and nothing less. To slander them in such ways is childish and actually an attempt to avoid debate imo.

The Brexit party do not agree with the EU, and campaigned as such whereas the Nazis did not agree with democracy and campaigned as such. There is no comparison.

To be anti-EU is not, repeat not, anti-democratic. And this attempt to conflate the two should be seen through by anyone who thinks more than 3 seconds on the issue.

1)EU
2)Mass Immigration
3)Globalism
4)Social Liberalism

What do any of those have to do with Democracy? It's as if all have decided on this convenient criticism and stuck with it. The question is what they all have in common....
(edited 4 years ago)

Lets deal with the last one first ...It sounds like an error and or hacking and therefore the actions of hostile actors upon him.

The NHS...Now this is going to be controversial but as Ann Wddicome has said "the sacred Cow cannot deliver anymore - lots of politicians have lied on this one promising more money the the NHS - it is telling that of all the countries that adapted an NHS none of them went for our system"

^entirely reasonable position

I would like to make a short statement here on the Referendum being binding technically speaking it was not presented as advisory here is the text from the official government leaflet:

" On Thursday, 23rd June there will be a referendum. It’s your opportunity to decide if the UK remains in the European Union (EU).

It’s a big decision. One that will affect you, your family and your children for decades to come…

The referendum on Thursday, 23rd June is your chance to decide if we should remain in or leave the European Union.

The Government believes it is in the best interests of the UK to remain in the EU.

This is the way to protect jobs, provide security, and strengthen the UK’s economy for every family in this country a clear path into the future, in contrast to the uncertainty of leaving.

This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide.”

You can argue if you like that referendums are advisory and try to cancel the whole thing - but to do so after the overwhelming turnout and the fact the referendum was presented ( AND IS) shown to be a historic decision that would be implemented would be nothing short of an act of tyranny.

In fact it would be akin to murdering someone and getting away with it on a technicality ...Like you shot them with a bow and arrow on Sunday in York for example and then claiming you where perfectly innocent because that's the law.

It would not fly and everyone would consider you a murderer whos trying to manipulate the system - same with cancelling the result of the referendum on the idea that it was advisory - you would have lost the moral argument and murdered democracy.

Lastly I do not have a problem with much of what Ann Widdicome says - she is entitled to be conservative as in genuinely so, not the the fake neoliberalism, and frankly in many cases she is right.

Oh and her speech to the EU parliament was awesome :smile:
Reply 55
Lets deal with the last one first ...It sounds like an error and or hacking and therefore the actions of hostile actors upon him.

Sureeeee

The NHS...Now this is going to be controversial but as Ann Wddicome has said "the sacred Cow cannot deliver anymore - lots of politicians have lied on this one promising more money the the NHS - it is telling that of all the countries that adapted an NHS none of them went for our system"

You know thats because its been systematically throttled by successive Tory governments right? The same party that gap toothed hag was a member of.

You enjoyed being called a slave? :lol: I do find it utterly queer that self described "patriots" who want to "make Britain great again" take such a masochistic pleasure in destroying Britains international standing.
Well you are going to have to help me out with the inconsistencies in the hard core remainer arugement. You are now saying lies are OK as long as it by the remain campaign, correct? Make you're minds up are you against lies or are they OK?

The irony is amazing when you have just complained about quote
'Plenty of people were sold on Brexit' because lies like how millions would be diverted to the NHS every week if we left'

Your own words you typed them. Furthermore that is not a lie, it's true. The bus message was factually accurate, it was misleading but its not a lie. Leaving the EU is nothing to do with left and right anyway, I want to see a big state with high taxation, however I want Westminster in control of where that tax is spent so I can hold them to account at the ballot box!

It seems to me hard core anti democratic remaniac's, simply just want to stop Brexit, avoid Brexit and will say or do anything to achive it because they don't like it. It's like a child rebelling against their parents because they have been told they have to go to bed!

As far as I'm concerned the Brexit' campaign was mostly a combination of dishonesty (like the NHS bus) and appeals to base flag-waving nationalism. Yes, it worked (though only just) but we'll suffer economically and socially for decades to come.
Original post by Napp
Since when? They have no power over Brexit negotiations. Also how exactly are you defining democracy here? I mean local councils are notionally 'democratic' but given that the turnout is always spectacularly low and its used as a way of giving the finger to the actual government...
Equally why are the lib-dems being 'pathetic' after that meat bag Widecombe managed to offend an entire continent + with her dipshit remarks on slavery. Nevermind half of Britain.

OK.... I'm not sure why you bring up this bizarre whataboutery;

1 Ann Widdecombe's speech yesterday, days after the on topic event in question, thus is totally irrelevant.
2 I have never said The brexit party was in anyway responsible for Brexit negotiations?
3 turnout of local elections is an irrelevant point also, no body apart from yourself has mentioned local government elections, there's a reason for that, it's because its got nothing to do with the topic!

You highlighted only half of the paragraph I wrote, I'd advise you to read all the paragraph in future, this will allow you to understand the context in which I write. However in answer to your questions:

Since when? Since the British public voted to give the Brexit party the largest number of MEP's, not only in the UK but the whole of Europe earlier this year.

Democracy? The Oxford dictionary definition will suit me, how do you?

Why are the lib-dems being 'pathetic'? Well in my opinion wearing a brightly coloured T Shirt with stop Brexit, after you have just lost a democratic national election to a party with no manifesto and only one policy of a no deal Brexit. Even calling yourself Democrats acting in such a way, is a little inaccurate to be polite about it. However also I understand you will disagree with this because you also cannot write a reply without resorting to vulgar and inappropriate language to make you're point, however in you're defense you are not a responsible elected representative of the country. However if the Lib-Dems cannot design a T-shirt/slogan than can be effectively broadcasted and respected without swearing, to me and I would say the vast majority of the world is embarrassing and this is why I opted to use the word pathetic.
Original post by BeetRoots
As far as I'm concerned the Brexit' campaign was mostly a combination of dishonesty (like the NHS bus) and appeals to base flag-waving nationalism. Yes, it worked (though only just) but we'll suffer economically and socially for decades to come.

You have skipped around the points in question

So why are you OK with lies told by the remain campaign? Also why are you labelling factual statements as lies just because you don't like the message?

^entirely reasonable position

I would like to make a short statement here on the Referendum being binding technically speaking it was not presented as advisory here is the text from the official government leaflet:

" On Thursday, 23rd June there will be a referendum. It’s your opportunity to decide if the UK remains in the European Union (EU).

It’s a big decision. One that will affect you, your family and your children for decades to come…

The referendum on Thursday, 23rd June is your chance to decide if we should remain in or leave the European Union.

The Government believes it is in the best interests of the UK to remain in the EU.

This is the way to protect jobs, provide security, and strengthen the UK’s economy for every family in this country a clear path into the future, in contrast to the uncertainty of leaving.

This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide.”

You can argue if you like that referendums are advisory and try to cancel the whole thing - but to do so after the overwhelming turnout and the fact the referendum was presented ( AND IS) shown to be a historic decision that would be implemented would be nothing short of an act of tyranny.

In fact it would be akin to murdering someone and getting away with it on a technicality ...Like you shot them with a bow and arrow on Sunday in York for example and then claiming you where perfectly innocent because that's the law.

It would not fly and everyone would consider you a murderer whos trying to manipulate the system - same with cancelling the result of the referendum on the idea that it was advisory - you would have lost the moral argument and murdered democracy.

Lastly I do not have a problem with much of what Ann Widdicome says - she is entitled to be conservative as in genuinely so, not the the fake neoliberalism, and frankly in many cases she is right.

Regarding the referendum, this is exactly what I was saying in #49. The hard core remainer arugement is literally all over the place, they either disappove of lies or they don't. They can't pick and choose what lie they like/dislike based on political persuasion!

Regarding the NHS, we are never going to agree. I believe the NHS is a wonderful thing and as the last standing, well kneeling, socialist organisation of our time as a socialist country can work and history teaches us this. I guess we could seek agreement that you cannot have socialist services like, housing, utilities, health and education without the socialist taxes to pay for them. Since 79 both labour and conservative have deserted socialism, that's why the NHS is now a half private, half national scarecrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending