The Student Room Group

Commuting in from London to Cambridge University?

I am thinking about applying to Cambridge University this year, however, I am unsure if it would be possible/reasonable to commute in every day into Cambridge from London.
Does anyone do this?
Original post by c.ozzi
I am thinking about applying to Cambridge University this year, however, I am unsure if it would be possible/reasonable to commute in every day into Cambridge from London.
Does anyone do this?

I'm fairly sure this is actually impossible. As an undergrad you have to "keep term" which means living in Cambridge for a certain number of nights (iirc around 50-60) per term.
Reply 2
Thank you for the information! I had heard of a girl who goes to Anglia Ruskin and commutes in, but didn't know that you had to live in Cambridge for a while.
Original post by Dysf(x)al
I'm fairly sure this is actually impossible. As an undergrad you have to "keep term" which means living in Cambridge for a certain number of nights (iirc around 50-60) per term.
I think Lily Cole did that. But she had the money to make it work.
Original post by c.ozzi
Does anyone do this?

There's a rule against living that far (not with Anglia Ruskin though, which is why the person you heard of doesn't have a problem).
The actual University of Cambridge likes to keep you close by in college accommodation. It's possible to organise your own accommodation, but it must be within a certain distance from this random church in Cambridge (London certainly does not fall within that radius).
Reply 6
youre not allowed to. and nobody does it
Original post by MagnumKoishi
There's a rule against living that far (not with Anglia Ruskin though, which is why the person you heard of doesn't have a problem).
The actual University of Cambridge likes to keep you close by in college accommodation. It's possible to organise your own accommodation, but it must be within a certain distance from this random church in Cambridge (London certainly does not fall within that radius).

Great St Mary's Church. :tongue:

And furthermore, if you want to live outside college-owned accommodation as an undergrad, you generally have to request permission from your college. If you're a finalist or something then this is likely to be a formality, but as a first-year you might well have to properly justify yourself (mature students etc. excepted, one would think).
As above, for the University of Cambridge, colleges normally require you to live in college during term time to be eligible for the undergraduate degree. You may be able to arrange with them to commute but unless you have considerable extenuating circumstances to require it, they may just advise you to consider universities elsewhere that can accommodate commuters.

That said, most other universities have no such requirements (it's just Oxford and Cambridge as far as I'm aware) and so can commute if you wish. Bear in mind the cost for season tickets to/from London aren't cheap though.
When I attended the University of Cambridge Open Day last week, I questioned them directly regarding commuting. I only live 15 miles away, so it will be a 30-minute commute, but they stated that this is way too far and you MUST live in a 3-mile radius of the city centre. There is zero chance of you being able to commute to and from London.
Reply 10
Thanks for the information! My commute would have been kind of reasonable (under an hour), but I do understand that not living in Cambridge would definitely alter the whole experience.
Original post by chiownryu
When I attended the University of Cambridge Open Day last week, I questioned them directly regarding commuting. I only live 15 miles away, so it will be a 30-minute commute, but they stated that this is way too far and you MUST live in a 3-mile radius of the city centre. There is zero chance of you being able to commute to and from London.
I personally agree with you, but those are their strict rules. :frown:
Original post by c.ozzi
Thanks for the information! My commute would have been kind of reasonable (under an hour), but I do understand that not living in Cambridge would definitely alter the whole experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending