The Student Room Group

Confused after gcses

Just finished my GCSE’s and I’m starting college in September. I’m planning on doing a levels In chemistry biology maths and maybe psychology. But I have no idea what I want to do after this, I’m so clueless on what to expect after college. Need advice on what careers to go down, how much they pay, what they require, and how long I need to study after college.
When u do ur a levels, see what subject interests u the most and see where that takes u maybe university maybe an apprenticeship who knows :smile:
Original post by Anonymous919
Just finished my GCSE’s and I’m starting college in September. I’m planning on doing a levels In chemistry biology maths and maybe psychology. But I have no idea what I want to do after this, I’m so clueless on what to expect after college. Need advice on what careers to go down, how much they pay, what they require, and how long I need to study after college.

I’ve got one year of sixth form left and I’m studying psychology, health and social and applied science. I decided for years I wanted to go to uni to be a paramedic but now for the past year I’ve wanted to join the army so whatever u decide to do it may change so don’t worry if ur confused about what u want to do
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Emma603xxxx
When u do ur a levels, see what subject interests u the most and see where that takes u maybe university maybe an apprenticeship who knows :smile:

Would doing a levels first allow me to got into a better apprenticeship?
Original post by Emma603xxxx
I’ve got one year of sixth form left and I’m studying psychology, health and social and psychology, I decided for years I wanted to go to uni to be a paramedic but now for the past year I’ve wanted to join the army so whatever u decide to do it may change so don’t worry if ur confused about what u want to do

Thanks this helped a lot mate
Thanks this helped a lot mate

I was being serious btw, looking back at it it looks sarcastic lol
Honestly it depends what you want to go in. I suggest if u don’t know what u want to do, do a levels because a levels are always useful as u can then do higher level apprenticeships (level 3 I think) and u can also go to uni or whatever u want to do. Going straight into an apprenticeship limits ur options I suggest sixth form - a levels but pick subjects that u think u will enjoy and that will be useful to u in life :smile: glad to help
Reply 7
Sixth form is a really good place to try find out what career you want to go into. I’d say really use any career support your college provides to find work experience etc. in any fields you think you might be interested. Once you’ve been studying your courses for a while you’ll be able to tell which ones you could see yourself pursuing further. Ask teachers/tutors for advice! Or even any likeminded classmates about it. Also, four A levels can be quite a handful (speaking from experience haha) so definitely decide early on whether you’d keep or drop psychology. Hope this helps!
I think if u don’t know what a levels to take, a science subject is always useful
I was being serious btw, looking back at it it looks sarcastic lol

It can help you to progress onto apprenticeships at level 4, 5 and 6 but you may also find that the employers are looking for a little bit of experience.

A lot of decision making is going to depend on what your long term career goals are but apprenticeships are a great way to work towards university qualifications whilst working and gaining skills and experience.

If you feel you need to chat more in-depth with a careers adviser you can do so here - https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/contact-us

Good luck with everything - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending