The Student Room Group

EPQ-to what extent does a persons epigenetics contribute to their addiction disorder

I was wondering if this would be a good enough biology (BTW i take bio for a level so does anyone know if this topic would cross over with the course because otherwise i don't think i could do it) /psychology EPQ question because i find it really interesting but i'm not sure if i would find epigenetics too confusing to write about. Obviously I would be writing about the psychology side too.

Any suggestions on how to structure this argument?

Also any tips for doing the literature review because i'm quite confused, our school hasn't helped us at all really.
Hi - I would suggest narrowing the focus of your question a little bit more "addiction disorder" but what type of disorder make it specific. I did an EPQ this year and whilst i did manage to get an A* i did not have a well structured question and it can really hinder you in the long run so really make sure you focus in on one specific thing so that you can properly go in detail in the essay.

With regards to the literature review, don't worry to much about writing that moment - just try to read as widely as possible and then once you have decided what exactly it is that you want to focus on then start just reading about that. My EPQ was health/ science focused and i spent ALOT of time reading papers that i did not even end up using so dont make my mistake as it can be really frustraing when yiu spend ages reading something that is not relevant to your arguement. Also try to read and gather research from a VARIETY of sources not all websites not all research papers use a mictures of books etc as u get more marks for this

I would suggest maybe structuing with a section that supports the idea that epigenticis DOES have an impact then a section on why it might not and then do your conclusion. The literature review is kind of like a background summary of previous research that has been conductd on your topic area that you are writing aboug but because alot of your research will probably be secondary anyway i wouldnt worry about having a specified section for literatire review its more so there so that YOU have an understanding on the material and because 5000 words is not alot, you will get more marks from evaluating and justrifying than you will by saying " x found this in this paper and y also found this"

I hope this makes sense and is helpful in some way - doing an EPQ is HARD - have just finished y12 and i started in nov and finihed may so 6 months in total.

PS maybe also consider a style of question/focus in question that would alllow you to conduct primary reseach since this is greatly valaued and it would be a nice variety to all your secondary research. eg a survey (i did a study at my college but it doesnt need to be that extreme) - GOOD LUCK!!
Reply 2
thank you so much, and yeah, i think it would be better if i narrowed my topic from just addiction disorder to maybe alcohol addiction disorder or substance use disorder. Also just one more question: when i'm reading studies/research papers and the researcher comes to a conclusion based off their experiment - like for e.g. 'adolescents with parents that have substance use disorders are more likely to develop SUD's themselves' am i still allowed to write that in my dissertation (obviously i would reference the research). Because with a topic like addiction a lot of the research has already been done and there's not much for me to come with on my own, all that left is for me to argue the extent to which factors like family influence etc. contribute to substance use disorders or alcohol addiction disorders etc...
Original post by katmyster
Hi - I would suggest narrowing the focus of your question a little bit more "addiction disorder" but what type of disorder make it specific. I did an EPQ this year and whilst i did manage to get an A* i did not have a well structured question and it can really hinder you in the long run so really make sure you focus in on one specific thing so that you can properly go in detail in the essay.

With regards to the literature review, don't worry to much about writing that moment - just try to read as widely as possible and then once you have decided what exactly it is that you want to focus on then start just reading about that. My EPQ was health/ science focused and i spent ALOT of time reading papers that i did not even end up using so dont make my mistake as it can be really frustraing when yiu spend ages reading something that is not relevant to your arguement. Also try to read and gather research from a VARIETY of sources not all websites not all research papers use a mictures of books etc as u get more marks for this

I would suggest maybe structuing with a section that supports the idea that epigenticis DOES have an impact then a section on why it might not and then do your conclusion. The literature review is kind of like a background summary of previous research that has been conductd on your topic area that you are writing aboug but because alot of your research will probably be secondary anyway i wouldnt worry about having a specified section for literatire review its more so there so that YOU have an understanding on the material and because 5000 words is not alot, you will get more marks from evaluating and justrifying than you will by saying " x found this in this paper and y also found this"

I hope this makes sense and is helpful in some way - doing an EPQ is HARD - have just finished y12 and i started in nov and finihed may so 6 months in total.

PS maybe also consider a style of question/focus in question that would alllow you to conduct primary reseach since this is greatly valaued and it would be a nice variety to all your secondary research. eg a survey (i did a study at my college but it doesnt need to be that extreme) - GOOD LUCK!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending