The Student Room Group

Is Biology underrated?

Is doing biology at A-Level and in particular degree level underrated? Do you agree with the common perception that it is the "easy" science?
Why do you think people say it is the "easy" science?
Reply 2
Biology is overarching term that covers host of very important scientific disciplines. Unfortunately it gets associated with things like drawing the stigma of a flowering plant or a cross section of a uterus. I found Biology A level enjoyable but very general. A year of Biochemistry as part of my course at uni was brilliant. I am not sure I would do a Biology degree, a subdiscipline would be more detailed and useful I think.
Reply 3
Didn't even think people thought of it as an easy science lol
Reply 4
What do you hope to do in the future?
Original post by theworld223
Is doing biology at A-Level and in particular degree level underrated? Do you agree with the common perception that it is the "easy" science?
Reply 5
no
not easy
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by theworld223

A young man like me, who did triple science and thus can compare the other science and has a passion for biology in particular, would say "yes". People who haven't these things, would certainly deny and tell you it is a hard science because of the many memorisations. Their answer is "no".
If we're just talking about bio, chem and physics then at least up to AS level, I thought it was the easiest.
Biology is probably the easiest science out of the three.
People do see it as easy, yeah.
I did not do Biology in my A-levels, but I loved every single thing I learned from the subject during my GCSE-equivalent level. I remember learning about teeth growth and structures in different mammals and the entire biological system of a rabbit. Drawing diagrams is particularly what intrigues me most. As a person aiming to do physics at uni, I think the scientific drawing skills I recieved from Biology, such as organised labelling and noticing details like tiny structures in digestive and reproductive systems of a rabbit ( in my syllabus at least ), are what I appreciate most. Biochemistry is also interesting. In A-level Chemistry, I enjoyed learning the DNA replication and proteins linking to polymerisation. Also, don’t take it as you can’t be good at Maths because you do Bio. I recently read about modelling the human hair growth mathematically, and also the affect of mutation rate on evolutionary equilibrium, which I find fascinating! I usually joke around telling my personal tutor who teaches Biology how boring Biology is but if I were smart enough to handle five A-levels, then Biology would have been my fifth choice. Overall, there is no such thing as overrated or underrated subject. A physicist can’t discuss about English literature based on his/her expertise on solving Einstein’s field equations alone.
(edited 4 years ago)
Biology A-Level is difficult imo more so than chemistry (simply learning facts in chemistry versus the heavy application in biology)
No that is not right everything will be easy if are base is very strong and the present syllabus is the basic one you need focus on it too because if you go with the advanced bio study you will find all are related to the basics

Original post by username4538836
Original post by MediocreSince01
Biology A-Level is difficult imo more so than chemistry (simply learning facts in chemistry versus the heavy application in biology)

Chemistry also requires the application of knowledge, although it is to a lesser extent at A Level. Physics stomps the sh*t out of biology if you want to talk about the amount of AO2 at A Level.
Original post by Tolgarda
Chemistry also requires the application of knowledge, although it is to a lesser extent at A Level. Physics stomps the sh*t out of biology if you want to talk about the amount of AO2 at A Level.

I can’t give my opinion on Physics since I don’t do it. However I do think it’s unfair biology is given the ‘easy’ name, when it is far from that.
Original post by MediocreSince01
I can’t give my opinion on Physics since I don’t do it. However I do think it’s unfair biology is given the ‘easy’ name, when it is far from that.

I've only ever heard this label from those who have studied all three at A Level and/or have studied a science at degree level. A discipline containing a lot of biology or biology itself involves a lot more memorisation and a lot less application at degree level relative to a discipline involving more physics or chemistry, or so I seem to hear. These are, however, merely anecdotal pieces of evidence, so I can't really say much more.
Reply 16
Ask Sharron Davies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending