The Student Room Group

History A Level without the GCSE.

To this being aimed at students that do History or are Graduates etc.
Without doing GCSE History do you think it's possible to do A level History Late? Late being a later era of time so I feel like fewer students have studied it. The entry requirements are 5 GCSE'S including Maths and English grades 9-4. I'm doing A level history alongside English literature and Philosophy. Thank you for reading in advance x
Original post by Manip01
Without doing GCSE History do you think it's possible to do A level History Late? Late being a later era of time so I feel like fewer students have studied it. The entry requirements are 5 GCSE'S including Maths and English grades 9-4. I'm doing A level history alongside English literature and Philosophy. Thank you for reading in advance x

You mean modern History, which exam board and link the spec please. Why are you doing it and then asking f its possible?

Yes its possible if:

It interests you, especially the periods studied.
You are curious and like investigating the past.
Can analyse.
Can see things objectively and from different perspectives.
Understand how events affect each other.
Understand what motivates people.
Able to assess situations and evidence.

If you arent like that you will hate it.
If you cant cope with large volumes of work you could end up very bored and swimming in documents.
Yes because depending on your exam board, you'll be learning different content and the only possible thing that GCSE is the coursework because my school-based it on one of the GCSEs topic but it may not be the case for you. Don't worry because the only advantage GCSEs students have is that they have some sort of understanding of the exam techinque but you'll learn this so it'll be fine as you learn the content the same start as others and the new exam techniques.
Reply 3
Not a problem as long as you like history.Similar skill set as required for philosophy and Eng Lit.But it will be three essay based subjects so you better like writing!
Original post by Manip01
Reply 4
Classmate did this and struggled... but merely because their analysis and writing was not up to par. If you can write, you’ll be fine. The a level isn’t as story telly as the GCSE. So you’ll be fine
Original post by Manip01
Reply 5
It's possible. I have never seen a sixth form that has made GCSE history a prerequisite for A Level history.
my friend's doing a level history, and she didn't study it at gcse; she's doing fine so it's certainly possible.
Reply 7
No, I'm pretty sure I'm right I am doing Late History which my sixth form offers, I'm not 100% doing it, therefore I'm asking people that have studied do you think someone who hasn't taken the GCSE could they do it and get a good grade, thank you! But yes all those things listed does appeal to me personally thank you!
Original post by 999tigger
You mean modern History, which exam board and link the spec please. Why are you doing it and then asking f its possible?

Yes its possible if:

It interests you, especially the periods studied.
You are curious and like investigating the past.
Can analyse.
Can see things objectively and from different perspectives.
Understand how events affect each other.
Understand what motivates people.
Able to assess situations and evidence.

If you arent like that you will hate it.
If you cant cope with large volumes of work you could end up very bored and swimming in documents.
Reply 8
Ahhh, thank you so much for this I was low-key panicking because I thought I would be disadvantaged massively! Also, I do love learning about History so hopefully I should be fine.
Original post by PetitePanda
Yes because depending on your exam board, you'll be learning different content and the only possible thing that GCSE is the coursework because my school-based it on one of the GCSEs topic but it may not be the case for you. Don't worry because the only advantage GCSEs students have is that they have some sort of understanding of the exam techinque but you'll learn this so it'll be fine as you learn the content the same start as others and the new exam techniques.
Reply 9
Ahh, thank goodness I worrying about my success If I do A Level History.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
my friend's doing a level history, and she didn't study it at gcse; she's doing fine so it's certainly possible.
Reply 10
Okay thank you for the feedback!
Original post by Tolgarda
It's possible. I have never seen a sixth form that has made GCSE history a prerequisite for A Level history.
Original post by Manip01
No, I'm pretty sure I'm right I am doing Late History which my sixth form offers, I'm not 100% doing it, therefore I'm asking people that have studied do you think someone who hasn't taken the GCSE could they do it and get a good grade, thank you! But yes all those things listed does appeal to me personally thank you!

GCSE is less the issue, more than you are genuinely interested otherwise you will find it really boring and wont get into it.
Reply 12
Original post by Manip01

Hi. It's possible to study A-Level history without having studied GCSE history before but this will be at the Head of Department's discretion whether they'll allow you onto the course - you just need to meet the grade requirements for English and an equivalent humanities subject if you did any. :smile:
I think you will be fine, it will just take a bit of getting used to.

My son is currently studying History at uni without doing an A level in it (he did the GCSE tho) and he found it slightly hard at first getting used to the style of writing they wanted, but he passed his first year just fine :smile:
Reply 14
Okay thank you so much for the feedback, I'm just scared that not studying it at GCSE is a disadvantage.
Original post by harrysbar
I think you will be fine, it will just take a bit of getting used to.

My son is currently studying History at uni without doing an A level in it (he did the GCSE tho) and he found it slightly hard at first getting used to the style of writing they wanted, but he passed his first year just fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest