The Student Room Group

A-Level subject choices

Hello everyone! I just finished my GCSEs and they went really well, predicted five 9s in (Maths, Music, Biology, Physics and Chemistry), three 8s in (Religious Studies, Geography and computer science)

I planned to choose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics for my A-Levels. But I think about them after exams, Music might be the right one and should replace one of them. My new school told us I can only choose 4 subjects including further maths.

Maths and further maths and Economics are the three subjects I won't give up choosing because I am very strong and enjoying Maths and I want to do economics in the university degree and for my following career. However, I did triple science in GCSEs, and they are all very strong especially physics, but it does not really relate to my degree. But music is not only my strongest subject it also I am interested in.

Can anyone give me advice>?
Reply 2
Original post by BobbyHan
Hello everyone! I just finished my GCSEs and they went really well, predicted five 9s in (Maths, Music, Biology, Physics and Chemistry), three 8s in (Religious Studies, Geography and computer science)

I planned to choose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics for my A-Levels. But I think about them after exams, Music might be the right one and should replace one of them. My new school told us I can only choose 4 subjects including further maths.

Maths and further maths and Economics are the three subjects I won't give up choosing because I am very strong and enjoying Maths and I want to do economics in the university degree and for my following career. However, I did triple science in GCSEs, and they are all very strong especially physics, but it does not really relate to my degree. But music is not only my strongest subject it also I am interested in.

Can anyone give me advice>?

If you want to study economics at undergraduate level, A-Level maths is usually required. You don't have to do A-Level further maths but that's an option if you want to do it as another A-Level. For your third and fourth subjects, feel free to choose as you wish. :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks but I think choosing physics would be more helpful in terms of another career path besides economics. This is because I haven't studied economics before and I don't know I really have the potential to do it well. So that's why I might choose physics over music
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
If you want to study economics at undergraduate level, A-Level maths is usually required. You don't have to do A-Level further maths but that's an option if you want to do it as another A-Level. For your third and fourth subjects, feel free to choose as you wish. :smile:
And useful TSR 'Economics at Uni' page here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree
Reply 5
Thanks but I think choosing physics would be more helpful in terms of another career path besides economics. This is because I haven't studied economics before and I don't know I really have the potential to do it well. So that's why I might choose physics over music

Fair enough. You still have time to think through the options and can always change subjects in the beginning so take your time with it all. :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah but am still thinking. Because I think music can be a subject that can help me relax and I don't need to put too much hard work in
Fair enough. You still have time to think through the options and can always change subjects in the beginning so take your time with it all. :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah but am still thinking. Because I think music can be a subject that can help me relax and I don't need to put too much hard work in

Can understand, just check the subject requirements for any economics course at any university. Usually they want A-Level economics and/or A-Level maths so you can choose anything for 3rd and 4th A-Level subject.
Reply 8
Thanks anyways

Can understand, just check the subject requirements for any economics course at any university. Usually they want A-Level economics and/or A-Level maths so you can choose anything for 3rd and 4th A-Level subject.

Quick Reply

Latest