The Student Room Group

2019: Thousands of uni courses in Clearing, are you reconsidering your firm choice?

This poll is closed

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables 16%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better 8%
No I am happy with my choice 63%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results13%
Total votes: 1169
I've checked the UCAS course listings this morning and there are thousands of courses in "clearing". UCAS have confirmed there are now 30,000 courses available.

UCAS have also reported that last year, a record 17,520 people got their place after applying directly through Clearing with their results in hand. In total in 2018, 66,770 people, including those who had applied earlier in the year, were accepted through Clearing.

You can search for universities and courses in Clearing via UCAS here.

You'll notice there is a new option for "Only show courses in Clearing"

We're also currently updating the highest ranked courses in Clearing.

If you're regretting accepting an unconditional offer you can now release yourself into Clearing from today without calling the university. You can do this using the 'Decline my place' button on Track and enter yourself into Clearing.

Conditional offer holders will see this button appear on A-level results day if their offer is made unconditional based on their exam results.

There is more information about self-release and the decline my place button here.

If you look at UCAS course search you'll see so many courses available across all subject areas and other than Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham and UCL pretty much every university has places for September 2019.

Long gone are the days when there were 10 applications for every one nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy place. These courses are all listed.

These listings will continually update between now and the beginning of August. Once universities have processed A-level and BTEC results course listings will be updated again the day before A-level and BTEC results day on the 15th August.

So the big question is.... are you reconsidering your options? Will you try and trade up? If universities who are higher up the league tables have places will you try and go there?

Are you rethinking your decision to accept your unconditional offer? Do you want to now study a completely different subject?

We're here to help :heart:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Durham on there, strange.
Original post by random_matt

I thought that, there weren't on there last year at this time of the year....
Original post by She-Ra
I thought that, there weren't on there last year at this time of the year....

At least I now know they were ********ting me with the we are full crap.
It's worth noting that it looks like their foundation offering has expanded considerably and make up the majority of the 65 courses that are showing in Clearing right now.
Original post by She-Ra
It's worth noting that it looks like their foundation offering has expanded considerably and make up the majority of the 65 courses that are showing in Clearing right now.

Doesn't matter now to be honest, I actually tried to get back in. I left last year due to family issues and it seems once you leave the club they no longer want you.
I wish this had been a thing last year. I spent ages on the phone trying to get released from my firm and it was so stressful :afraid:
At least I now know they were ********ting me with the we are full crap.

Maybe they were full for your course? I doubt they have anything personal against you
Original post by harrysbar
Maybe they were full for your course? I doubt they have anything personal against you

Call me paranoid then, but I guess I can do a lot worse than Exeter.
Doesn't matter now to be honest, I actually tried to get back in. I left last year due to family issues and it seems once you leave the club they no longer want you.

That's really tough, I'm sorry to hear that :frown: Are you reapplying elsewhere this year?

Original post by MinaBee
I wish this had been a thing last year. I spent ages on the phone trying to get released from my firm and it was so stressful :afraid:

That is stressful, being able to release yourself into Clearing will take away that wait. Have you enjoyed your first year? :h:
Do you have any advice for anyone using Clearing this year? :heart:
Call me paranoid then, but I guess I can do a lot worse than Exeter.

Indeed, you've got into a good uni anyway
Original post by MinaBee

Same but for my insurance. I had to wait a few days, because it was done via email, and I finally decided I wanted to be released from my insurance on the saturday lol (had email confirmation from clearing uni).

Also

Had to wait for priority remark results to see if there was a grade change so I get into firm.
Put on a waiting list for accommodation for my clearing uni (stressful few weeks lol)
Original post by She-Ra
That's really tough, I'm sorry to hear that :frown: Are you reapplying elsewhere this year?

That is stressful, being able to release yourself into Clearing will take away that wait. Have you enjoyed your first year? :h:
Do you have any advice for anyone using Clearing this year? :heart:

Exeter gave me an offer a while back, not long until the 14th September.
Wait, this decline button is a new thing?

Yes, I believe they're trialling it this year for the first time
Exeter gave me an offer a while back, not long until the 14th September.

So happy for you :h: I hope you're really happy there and all works out.

Original post by SuperHuman98
Same but for my insurance. I had to wait a few days, because it was done via email, and I finally decided I wanted to be released from my insurance on the saturday lol (had email confirmation from clearing uni).

Also

Had to wait for priority remark results to see if there was a grade change so I get into firm.
Put on a waiting list for accommodation for my clearing uni (stressful few weeks lol)

Sounds like you had a right old time of it.

So what happened in the end? Did your exam grade change? Or did you go the uni you chose through Clearing? Did it all work out ok despite all the stress in the end? :redface:
All the information about self-release into clearing using the decline my place button is here.

Applicants with an unconditional offer can use it if they no longer want to go to the university.
Original post by She-Ra
So happy for you :h: I hope you're really happy there and all works out.

Sounds like you had a right old time of it.

So what happened in the end? Did your exam grade change? Or did you go the uni you chose through Clearing? Did it all work out ok despite all the stress in the end? :redface:

:eek: Don’t you remember me sending lots of pms to you about it :tongue:

In the end 2 remarks didn’t change the grade (1mark extra in History was all I needed).

I went for my clearing uni and I got the best accommodation about a week before uni started :smile:
Oh my goodness! Of course, yes, I remember supporting you! You changed your avatar :lol:

I'm so glad it all worked out ok in the end :smile:

Will you be online on results day to help those who might be having a similar experience? :h:
Original post by SuperHuman98
:eek: Don’t you remember me sending lots of pms to you about it :tongue:

In the end 2 remarks didn’t change the grade (1mark extra in History was all I needed).

I went for my clearing uni and I got the best accommodation about a week before uni started :smile:
I think I'm regretting the course I applied to so probably will have to go through clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending