The Student Room Group

Iran summons UK ambassador over 'seizure' of super tanker Grace-1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Palmyra
Usual posters here with their usual talking points.

UK trying to show they can be the US' best and most loyal puppet. Shades of Iraq...

Not really. You are the least objective of all.
You were delighted the drone had been shot down.
If it was in Iranian airspace, then thats their right.

Same case here, if it was in EU waters, then they are perfectly entitled to enforce EU sanctions. If there is no evidence it will soon be released.
You just want it both ways.
Original post by Andrew97
It was to do with EU sanctions, not US ones...

Conspiracy I think. British arent capable of tracking a tanker. If there is no evidence it will be released. Sure the lawyers are onto it.
Shipmate, you can track the tanker yourself if you want: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:416354/mmsi:355271000/imo:9116412/vessel:GRACE_1
Original post by 999tigger
Conspiracy I think. British arent capable of tracking a tanker. If there is no evidence it will be released. Sure the lawyers are onto it.

Very clever. Ofc the site could be a US/UK Western conspiracy.

Again the questions are:

1. Was it in EU Waters?
2. Were there EU sanctions to enforce?
3. Do they have evidence the ship was breaking those sanctions?

If not potentially unlawful and will be released.
Reply 24
Original post by Harpoon
The Royal Marines boarded an oil tanker at the request of the Government of Gibraltar based on intelligence that the tanker was breaking EU sanctions.

As reported by the BBC:

"The EU says the facility therefore provides financial support to the Syrian government, which is subject to sanctions because of its repression of civilians since the start of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad in 2011."

I know... i did make the thread?
Original post by Andrew97
It was to do with EU sanctions, not US ones...

Nominally. However, the point one was making was that it was apparently a helpful nudge from the US that set the thing in motion.
Original post by Napp
I believe the technical term here is theft... Although considering they landed a detachment of Marines on the thing the Iranian epithet of piracy wouldn't be far off.
Why we continue to do the bidding of a crack pot like Bolton is utterly beyond me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48871462

try again - enforcing EU sanctions, allegedly using US intelligence (intel sharing is not new), went all the way around the Horn of Africa to reach the Mediterranean and extremely likely to Syria, so not surprised, Iran needs to get its act together.

They will of course review the situation, and if there is reasonable evidence to give proof to these likely suspicions,
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
try again - enforcing EU sanctions, allegedly using US intelligence (intel sharing is not new), went all the way around the Horn of Africa to reach the Mediterranean and extremely likely to Syria, so not surprised, Iran needs to get its act together

Try what again?
I have absolutely no idea what point you're attempting to make when you say 'Iran needs to get its act together' ... heaven forbid it try and sell its oil :rolleyes:
Original post by Napp
Try what again?
I have absolutely no idea what point you're attempting to make when you say 'Iran needs to get its act together' ... heaven forbid it try and sell its oil :rolleyes:

The whole point is that it was believed to bound to Syria, against EU sanctions so was detained, will review situation and if there is enough evidence, will be detained/released, don't know why this is so triggering
Reply 28
The whole point is that it was believed to bound to Syria, against EU sanctions so was detained, will review situation and if there is enough evidence, will be detained/released, don't know why this is so triggering

Why are you repeating the article at me? :s-smilie:
And what on earth are you on about triggers for?
Original post by Napp

If you read the article, and understand the situation, why is wrong to detain a ship that has more than reasonable doubt to be bypassing EU sanctions, of which we are a part of, using normal US intel sharing, i.e. the point of the thread???
It could indeed. Good job there are lots of other sites that do the same job.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
Very clever. Ofc the site could be a US/UK Western conspiracy.

Again the questions are:

1. Was it in EU Waters?
2. Were there EU sanctions to enforce?
3. Do they have evidence the ship was breaking those sanctions?

If not potentially unlawful and will be released.
Original post by Napp

Dunno I think its a boring story really. Am sure the UK would rather it hadnt gone to Gibraltar.
Reply 32
If you read the article, and understand the situation, why is wrong to detain a ship that has more than reasonable doubt to be bypassing EU sanctions, of which we are a part of, using normal US intel sharing, i.e. the point of the thread???

Sigh. Did you actually read my post or are you just getting, to use your word here, 'triggered' that one has the temerity to not back our Satrap 'government'?
Either way the answer to your question is in the OP.
Reply 33
Dunno I think its a boring story really. Am sure the UK would rather it hadnt gone to Gibraltar.

Meh, its either that or hear about Brexit some more... call me old fashioned but i'd rather be forced to sit through endless reruns of that mug Piers Morgan than be forced to endure more of that never ending omnishambles. The British deploying marines to an oversized boat would this seem an amusing distraction.
Original post by Napp
Sigh. Did you actually read my post or are you just getting, to use your word here, 'triggered' that one has the temerity to not back our Satrap 'government'?
Either way the answer to your question is in the OP.

"our" government - why am I not surprised :colonhash:

Your OP - "Why we continue to do the bidding of a crack pot like Bolton is utterly beyond me" - intel sharing is normal, and had reasonable doubt that it was evading EU sanctions, this whole thread is an attempt to defend Iran's actions blind to reason/intelligence reports, as a poster pin up boy for their government.
Reply 35
"our" government - why am I not surprised :colonhash:

Forgive me, are you a foreigner or is it somehow not your government in some other fashion?

Your OP - "Why we continue to do the bidding of a crack pot like Bolton is utterly beyond me" - intel sharing is normal, and had reasonable doubt that it was evading EU sanctions, this whole thread is an attempt to defend Iran's actions blind to reason/intelligence reports, as a poster pin up boy for their government.

You don't say :rolleyes: Although i feel you should probably be made aware intel sharing means some intel is sometimes shared. Governments do not give open book access to anyone, period.
Do i also need to point out that some of the biggest Iranian sanction busters have been umm UK firms?
"defend Irans actions" ahaha oh dear. Remind me how saying its overkill tp deploy marines to seize a civilian vessel is "defending" anything? Nevermind the fact i think youll find Tehran is entitled to sell its oil.
Uhuh, well if the best you can do is call me an Iranian shill then by all means piss off the thread otherwise actually make a point and stop acting like a child.
(edited 4 years ago)
One has to wonder why there might be controversy over this, apart from Iran and its supporters, of course. If there is sound intelligence that this vessel is violating EU sanctions - and even an idiot would understand the duplicitous intention behind its means of entering the Mediterranean Sea - then Gibraltar and Britain had no choice in having to act.
Original post by Napp
Forgive me, are you a foreigner or is it somehow not your government in some other fashion?

You don't say :rolleyes: Although i feel you should probably be made aware intel sharing means some intel is sometimes shared. Governments do not give open book access to anyone, period.
Do i also need to point out that some of the biggest Iranian sanction busters have been umm UK firms?
Uhuh, well if the best you can do is call me an Iranian shill then by all means piss off the thread otherwise actually make a point and stop acting like a child.

Iranian shill - true, your words not mine though

Sanction evading is a reasonable reason to detain a tanker - ill leave you to ignore the facts and blindly commit to your views :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 38
Iranian shill - true, your words not mine though

You see this is why i dont like debating with children. If the best you can do is that it really shows your lack of intellect.

Sanction evading is a reasonable reason to detain a tanker - ill leave you to ignore the facts and blindly commit to your views :smile:

It would probably help if you actually knew my views but i bid you adieu.
Reply 39
Original post by Good bloke
One has to wonder why there might be controversy over this, apart from Iran and its supporters, of course. If there is sound intelligence that this vessel is violating EU sanctions - and even an idiot would understand the duplicitous intention behind its means of entering the Mediterranean Sea -

Whats duplicitous about entering an international waterway? Unless Syria happens to have a coastline in the Southern Ocean instead it would seem somewhat err rational to be entering that area.
then Gibraltar and Britain had no choice in having to act.
Now we both no that isn't entirely correct.

Quick Reply

Latest