The Student Room Group

2019: Thousands of uni courses in Clearing, are you reconsidering your firm choice?

Scroll to see replies

What makes you think you're regretting the course choice? Is there a course at the university that would be better for you?

Here to help :smile:
Original post by Prussianxo
I think I'm regretting the course I applied to so probably will have to go through clearing.
What’s the reason for so many courses within clearing this year? Quite vast actually...
Lack of ‘seats on bums’?
Original post by MajorFader
What’s the reason for so many courses within clearing this year? Quite vast actually...
Lack of ‘seats on bums’?

There were always going to be more places available this year for demographic reasons (fewer UK 18/19 year olds) but uncertainty over Brexit has apparently had an effect on applications from EU students too
Original post by She-Ra
What makes you think you're regretting the course choice? Is there a course at the university that would be better for you?

Here to help :smile:

I was originally going to do electronic engineering because it looked interesting. But then I would need to do a foundation year because I don't do maths or physics, a foundation year would be too difficult for me I feel. So was thinking either politics or social policy and politics.
I was originally going to do electronic engineering because it looked interesting. But then I would need to do a foundation year because I don't do maths or physics, a foundation year would be too difficult for me I feel. So was thinking either politics or social policy and politics.

An alternative to going into Clearing could be to phone the unis you currently have offers from and ask if you could switch to Politics? It could be possible as long as they have vacancies for that subject and you have roughly the right A level predictions. You could phone your Uni admissions if you want to discuss the possibility
Original post by harrysbar
An alternative to going into Clearing could be to phone the unis you currently have offers from and ask if you could switch to Politics? It could be possible as long as they have vacancies for that subject and you have roughly the right A level predictions. You could phone your Uni admissions if you want to discuss the possibility

I'm not sure if my predicted grades are high enough but I might try it. And I might try looking at some universities that I didn't originally apply to.
I'm not sure if my predicted grades are high enough but I might try it. And I might try looking at some universities that I didn't originally apply to.

You've got nothing to lose....if they are in clearing they may well be lowering their grade requirements anyway. Unis frequently go down a grade or several from what they are officially asking for so I don't see the harm in asking about changing course if you are sure about it. Admissions tutors are generally very friendly and they will want to help you get onto the right course if they can.

Also a good idea to look at other unis and build up a picture of what unis you could apply to in Clearing once you have your grades
I would not agree that going to a uni higher up in the league tables means "trading up". The subject league tables are shambolic and many elite unis are lower down than the random new unis with the academic rigour of a GCSE foundation class.

The foundation year would focus on developing the skills you need in physics and maths - that's the whole point :smile: If you're feeling worried about it I would contact the uni and see if you can speak to person running the course. Or alternatively you could look at engineering apprenticeships which are becoming more popular all the time.

Do you have any idea what you'd like to do after uni?

Out of interest why do you now fancy social policy/ politics? :h:
Original post by She-Ra
The foundation year would focus on developing the skills you need in physics and maths - that's the whole point :smile: If you're feeling worried about it I would contact the uni and see if you can speak to person running the course. Or alternatively you could look at engineering apprenticeships which are becoming more popular all the time.

Do you have any idea what you'd like to do after uni?

Out of interest why do you now fancy social policy/ politics? :h:

I feel like it would too much though. Like if I was just missing the skills in 1 of the subjects then I'd be more inclined to go but because it's both I feel it will be overwhelming. I have looked at apprenticeships but I couldn't find many for electronic engineering.

That's the other issue I'm not sure what I want to do after uni, I just want a normal job really.

I done government and politics at a level and have always been really interested in politics but I was put off doing it before because I was told it's hard to find a job once you have the degree. But idk I like the look of the course and so that's what's made it appeal to me.
That's a good point, but if they thought you weren't capable I would hope that they wouldn't offer you a place. You know you best and if you feel it might be overwhelming then you have to listen to yourself.

Electronic engineering as an apprenticeship might be a bit niche, it might be that you look at more generalist engineering and then niche.

I did history at uni and to be honest I was only employable based on all the things I got involved in during uni, the degree itself wouldn't have set me apart from other graduates. Don't get me wrong, I loved studying it but making the most of all the opportunities at uni really helped me bulk out my CV and discover skills.

If you're unsure, there is no shame in taking a gap year, doing some work, explore what might interest you and take it from there :smile:
I feel like it would too much though. Like if I was just missing the skills in 1 of the subjects then I'd be more inclined to go but because it's both I feel it will be overwhelming. I have looked at apprenticeships but I couldn't find many for electronic engineering.

That's the other issue I'm not sure what I want to do after uni, I just want a normal job really.

I done government and politics at a level and have always been really interested in politics but I was put off doing it before because I was told it's hard to find a job once you have the degree. But idk I like the look of the course and so that's what's made it appeal to me.
Original post by She-Ra
That's a good point, but if they thought you weren't capable I would hope that they wouldn't offer you a place. You know you best and if you feel it might be overwhelming then you have to listen to yourself.

Electronic engineering as an apprenticeship might be a bit niche, it might be that you look at more generalist engineering and then niche.

I did history at uni and to be honest I was only employable based on all the things I got involved in during uni, the degree itself wouldn't have set me apart from other graduates. Don't get me wrong, I loved studying it but making the most of all the opportunities at uni really helped me bulk out my CV and discover skills.

If you're unsure, there is no shame in taking a gap year, doing some work, explore what might interest you and take it from there :smile:

What sort of stuff did you do then to fill out your CV?
I played a lot sport and got really involved in the Athletic Union, taking on various committee roles. I also volunteered at the Advice and Representation Centre at the student union and ended up setting up an active listening and signposting service for students who had a difficult relationship with food. In year 2 and 3 I worked in the SU bar which was a lot of fun :smile:

I studied history so by year three I only had about 5/6 hours of lectures, it gave me a lot of opportunity to try things out and get more involved alongside my studies. Hope this helps :h:

What sort of stuff did you do then to fill out your CV?
The problem with the subject tables is that it is based on low numbers and a few poor satisfaction results can affect the results. Also students in higher graded universities tend to have higher expectations so the lower universities do better on student satisfaction rates. I came across a subject table the other day where University of West London, University of East London and York St John were in the top 6 and UCL, Queen Mary and Reading in the bottom 10.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Student+Satisfaction&s=Computer+Science
Original post by Notoriety
I would not agree that going to a uni higher up in the league tables means "trading up". The subject league tables are shambolic and many elite unis are lower down than the random new unis with the academic rigour of a GCSE foundation class.
It's worth pointing out that UCAS Course Search
Does NOT match the Durham website:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/applicants/clearing/courses/
Durham
No places available in Clearing
Thank you for your interest in Durham University. We have no places available in Adjustment and Clearing, however we wish you the best of luck with your future studies.
If you would like to apply for entry in 2020, please see information about our application process here.

UCAS Course search requires universities to actively REMOVE courses from the listings...I would trust the university website over UCAS at this point. Give it a week or so for the universities that have forgotten to remove their courses to do so before the UCAS listings are reliable.
I've added Durham to the list, thanks for clarifying this :smile:
Original post by PQ
It's worth pointing out that UCAS Course Search
Does NOT match the Durham website:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/applicants/clearing/courses/

UCAS Course search requires universities to actively REMOVE courses from the listings...I would trust the university website over UCAS at this point. Give it a week or so for the universities that have forgotten to remove their courses to do so before the UCAS listings are reliable.
Can I only apply via clearing on results day if i have a conditional offer?
Original post by She-Ra
I've added Durham to the list, thanks for clarifying this :smile:
Original post by dvbuosnklmkoi888
Can I only apply via clearing on results day if i have a conditional offer?

Do you know longer want to go to your firm?

If you meet your offer and it becomes unconditional you can use the decline my place button then. If you don't and your offer becomes unconditional for your insurance you can use it then.

If you already know that you definately don't want to go to your firm university and want to be in Clearing ready for results day you can speak to UCAS and your university and confirm you want to be released into Clearing now.
Does anyone else have any questions or worries about the uni application process or clearing? Let us know if you need help. :h:
UCAS have shared that they think 80,000 students will find their place through Clearing this year.

How is everyone feeling? Do you need any help? We're here for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending