The Student Room Group

Lifting Adventures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by illusionz
At the same time, it's easier to progress deadlifts when you do them fresh, not after sets of heavy squats.

Depending on your goals, if you want to maximise your deadlift you may want to focus on deadlifts one session and squats the next.

My goals are to become stronger and obtain an aesthetic look (for shame I know)

I'm not too worried about my deadlifts that I would need to focus on it for one session. My bench press and squat needs a lot of work on so those will be my main priorities right now.
Reply 41
03/07/19
I have made better progress than expected in my OHP and squats. As you'll notice, this time I spread out some of the exercises to make up for the reps. When I was doing 90kg for squats, I stopped because I just suddenly felt afraid because people were staring which was really weird even though I was ready to do the next rep.... It's annoying I do stuff like this.

Started new program which I will detail down:

Workout A
Squat
Overhead Press
Chin up or Pull up
Bench Press

Workout B
Squat
Overhead Press
Deadlift (1x5)
Chin Up Or Pull Up
Accessory work of my choice

For progressive overload, will be increasing weight weekly. If I fail, I'll drop to previous weight that I worked at until comfortable enough to move forward. People have different recomemndations for this, some say per session and some say weekly so I just decided to do what I thought was best.

Feedback is welcome.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Is that twice per week, or one day on one day off alternating like SS?
Some comments.

Youre doing OHP every session and Bench only one. Bench is after OHP on session A. This will make your bench progress slower, as it's lower frequency AND done after OHP when your front delts and triceps will be tired.

You have no horizontal pulling.

I'd have a different plan for dealing with stalls. Either add weight, lower reps but maintain overall volume, or add reps at old weight. Don't just keep doing the same.

What rep ranges do you plan?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Gone Revising II
Is that twice per week, or one day on one day off alternating like SS?

Yes, alternating like SS.

Some comments.

Youre doing OHP every session and Bench only one. Bench is after OHP on session A. This will make your bench progress slower, as it's lower frequency AND done after OHP when your front delts and triceps will be tired.

You have no horizontal pulling.

I'd have a different plan for dealing with stalls. Either add weight, lower reps but maintain overall volume, or add reps at old weight. Don't just keep doing the same.

What rep ranges do you plan?

I see. For the rep ranges, I was mostly planning to stick with 5 reps for the 5 sets. However, I'm aware this way of thinking will have to change if I want to make a program that works for me.

I'll continue to look for ways to deal with the issue stated. I just hope I'm able to find a good solution.
(edited 4 years ago)
What are your goals?
Original post by usfbullz
Yes, alternating like SS.

I see. For the rep ranges, I was mostly planning to stick with 5 reps for the 5 sets. I'll continue to look for ways to deal with the issue stated. I just hope I'm able to find a good solution.
Reply 46
What are your goals?

Strength and aesthetics.
OK. Is there a reason you want to bench once and OHP twice?

How much time are you willing to spend per session?
Strength and aesthetics.
I suggest following a programme designed by an expert and not yourself. It makes everything easier for you in the long term
Reply 49
OK. Is there a reason you want to bench once and OHP twice?

How much time are you willing to spend per session?

OHP is my worst exercise, so I decided to focus on it. I'm willing to spend between 60-90 mins per session.

Original post by SuperHuman98
I suggest following a programme designed by an expert and not yourself. It makes everything easier for you in the long term

PRSOM. Already searching now.
Reply 50
I'll get back to you guys when I've found a better programme that will accommodate for my goals.

Thank you guys so much for the help and apologies for taking up too much of your time.
OK. My logic for the below is you're interested in aesthetics. I guess you're like 95% of people and this is your main goal despite the fact you try to not sound vain by saying you want to be strong. We're all the same. This means you need arm work and back work. It probably also means you don't want to squat 5x5 every day. 3x5 is plenty if doing it every session. Alternatively have one 5x5 squat session and have a 1x5 deadlift session.

The below is a linear progression plan. IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO INCREASE WEIGHT SESSION ON SESSION YOU SHOULD FIND A PLAN WHICH DOESN'T NEED THIS. Such plans are more complex and just follow a well known one. The fitness subreddit has plenty of options here.

If you are able to progress linearly try the below. It focuses on upper body and I guess is more in line with your actual goals but has enough lower body for you to progress fine.

You'll be benching and OHP every session, one heavy and one volume. This should be fine to recover from provided you have diet and sleep under control. It has back work because a big back is very important for aesthetics, and it has plenty of arm work which you'll be wanting.

It should be doable within your 90 minutes.

For stalls my suggestion is increase weight anyway, so 10x3, then 7x4, then 5x5. Takes 3 workouts for each lift to go up (so 2 weeks overall) but this heavier lifting combined with the volume stuff the other days will help you progress.

Start lighter rather than heavier on the 5x10.

You won't be able to do this indefinitely. Then you'll need to go on a proper intermediate program.

The above methodology has worked very well for me in the last 3 month. I find most beginner programs too low volume. However, you are not me, you have different circumstances and it may not work for you. If it doesn't, get on an intermediate program with set reps and percentages.

Workout A
Squat 3x5 (15 mins inc warmup, 20 if you need to do shoulder mobility)
Bench 5x5 (20 mins)
Barbell Rows 5x5 (10-15 mins)
OHP 5x10 at 50-70% of 5x5 weight, shorter rests (15 mins)
Chin ups supersetted with dips (3 to 5 sets totalling at least 25 reps, assisted as needed, mix up heavy sets of 5 and lighter sets of 10, 10 minutes)
Any other quick accessory eg Facepulls, curls. Superset them. Superset all your accessory stuff.

Workout B
Squat 3x5 (15 min)
OHP 5x5 (20 min)
Deadlift 1x5 (5-10 min depending on warmup)
Barbell Rows (3x5, lighter weight than workout A if back is tired, don't try to progress this session, 10 mins)
Bench 5x10 at 50-70% of 5x5 weight (15 mins)
Chin ups superset with dips (10 mins)
Other stuff as needed
(edited 4 years ago)
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/making-your-novice-strength-training-routine-more-effective-two-quick-tips/

This is also worth reading. What I do doesn't follow it to the letter but it has similar principles - varied rep ranges and increasing stimulus when you stall.

If you want you could amend a program using this advice.

The key to progress is consistency, progressive overload and recovery. Hit all three and you will see good progress. The exact program really isn't that important, as long as it has enough volume for each muscle.
Where do you live?
Reply 54
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/making-your-novice-strength-training-routine-more-effective-two-quick-tips/

This is also worth reading. What I do doesn't follow it to the letter but it has similar principles - varied rep ranges and increasing stimulus when you stall.

If you want you could amend a program using this advice.

The key to progress is consistency, progressive overload and recovery. Hit all three and you will see good progress. The exact program really isn't that important, as long as it has enough volume for each muscle.

I'll have a read, and I'll try out the program (looks really good).To be honest, I truly do want both to be strong and for my body to be the result of me being strong hence the aesthetics part. Essentially, to become a better version of myself.

Where do you live?

London.

London.

Eventually I'll ask that question of someone who is asking for programming advice and their answer will be Birmingham.
Reply 56
Eventually I'll ask that question of someone who is asking for programming advice and their answer will be Birmingham.

Hehe, don't worry I'm sure it'll happen eventually
Hehe, don't worry I'm sure it'll happen eventually

I just want to show you squat every day types how much more fun it is to go to the gym on a mission to destroy your delts.
And what if one hates squats?
I just want to show you squat every day types how much more fun it is to go to the gym on a mission to destroy your delts.
And what if one hates squats?

Then you become me

Quick Reply

Latest