The Student Room Group

How to go about self studying a GCSE in 4 months flat

I've got the CGP book for Business AQA and the workbook, I also have online resources to learn from and I know mindmaps and notes help alot too but do you genuinely think if I study this subject by itself for 4 months straight I can go through the syllabus and revise it?
GCSE Business Studies is an easy subject - I studied it but for the Edexcel spec. I'd say that most if not all of the content is just common sense so you shouldn't have any trouble teaching yourself the content.

The only concern is the time frame - I don't know if just 4 months is enough! However it could work since you're studying this alone.
Original post by coolMK
I've got the CGP book for Business AQA and the workbook, I also have online resources to learn from and I know mindmaps and notes help alot too but do you genuinely think if I study this subject by itself for 4 months straight I can go through the syllabus and revise it?

Which country are you in? No GCSEs until next summer except for resit Maths and English..
Reply 3
Oh dont worry about that it's scheduled for next year but I just wanted to know whether that schedule of 4 months would work when I get to that point
Original post by Muttley79
Which country are you in? No GCSEs until next summer except for resit Maths and English..
Reply 4
I have all the free time in the world to do it thought since i'm studying it at home so as soon as i wake up i study go to bed repeat so if the subject is common sense like you said I think i may be able to get through it! but do you think I can do the same for Maths in 4 months or English Lit and Lang in 4 months or is it too much workload in too little time?
Original post by chibibotto
GCSE Business Studies is an easy subject - I studied it but for the Edexcel spec. I'd say that most if not all of the content is just common sense so you shouldn't have any trouble teaching yourself the content.

The only concern is the time frame - I don't know if just 4 months is enough! However it could work since you're studying this alone.
Just done my exams - Id say you can easily learn any GCSE subject, apart from languages, in 4 months.
Original post by coolMK
I have all the free time in the world to do it thought since i'm studying it at home so as soon as i wake up i study go to bed repeat so if the subject is common sense like you said I think i may be able to get through it! but do you think I can do the same for Maths in 4 months or English Lit and Lang in 4 months or is it too much workload in too little time?

I'd say definitely NOT English Lit since there is so much content to learn; three different texts and 15 poems
Reply 7
bump

Original post by coolMK
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
double bump
Original post by coolMK
bump
Why are you trying to do it in 4 months? I would always say stagger your workload so if 4 months isn't enough for you then you should give yourself longer!
Reply 10
Welcome to the world of the mature student. We have to fit studying round work, family, pets etc etc.

Anything can be done if you put your mind to it. Simply pick what you want to achieve, put that at the top of the pyramid, then work backwards step by step to the base and the now position. This gives you the plan of what to do, now work out the time dates for each step and you've got your agenda. Now you just need to sit down and do it.

Good Luck.
Reply 11
I've been put into a dilemma with my school and I have only have 4 months to finish the whole AQA Business syllabus by then, BUT, I can gladly say that I'm already through half of the syllabus, when you do 4 hours of study on 1 subject alone everyday things go pretty quick compare to school and it's going well so I think I can do this! :smile:
Original post by _gcx
Why are you trying to do it in 4 months? I would always say stagger your workload so if 4 months isn't enough for you then you should give yourself longer!
Reply 12
Yeah, I'm already through half of the syllabus and I'm on track to do this in 3 months with 1 left to revise everything but it is quite hard to find that motivation you need to get up and study on your own but I'm just getting by, do many mature students have a problem with this aswell?
Original post by Purdy7
Welcome to the world of the mature student. We have to fit studying round work, family, pets etc etc.

Anything can be done if you put your mind to it. Simply pick what you want to achieve, put that at the top of the pyramid, then work backwards step by step to the base and the now position. This gives you the plan of what to do, now work out the time dates for each step and you've got your agenda. Now you just need to sit down and do it.

Good Luck.
Reply 13
Very much so. It's important to find out what type of student you are? One sort can study on their own, and build up habits to learn, while others would fall behind under that situation, so must have a class situation.

A lot is building up habits and making the studying a priority. This can be very hard when you have a house to run, and a family etc. However, I think if one really thinks about results day and attaining the goal of a good grade it helps a lot. Also for those who look for work, a decent wage packet really helps.
Original post by coolMK

Did you end up doing it?

Quick Reply

Latest