The Student Room Group

Should I take an interruption of study?

Hi,

I am unsure whether to take an interruption of study next year. I am due to go into my third year of study, and i have just finished my second year with grades I am ok with. I previously had an interruption between my first and second year to grieve for my dad who had suddenly passed away at the end of my first year. Last year I returned to university full time and I found it pretty hard. Living alone for me was the most challenging part, and due to my mental health problems I was not able to make friends or form connections with people. I pushed friends away and I feel that living alone brought back lots of difficult feelings. I have had anxiety and depression for years and I believe I have also had PTSD.

I am soon going to start therapy with a new therapist who works with trauma and I am hoping that is going to help. I am also taking antidepressants which I believe are helping. What I am struggling with is knowing whether to return to university next year because I have not made any progress yet in recovering from my trauma, and being at university was a trigger for me. I do plan to live with a family member rather than live alone next year which could help, but I care a lot about my studies and I feel that my mental health should be the priority. I have also considered studying my course part time next year, which I would be allowed to do, but I want to study a masters and so I don't want to have a reduced workload to then have it be massively increased in my 4th year or years afterwards.

I am really struggling to make a decision and I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Reply 1
I'm sorry to hear that.
Are you boy or girl? Do you have suicide thoughts?
Reply 2
A girl and no.
Original post by rjckk
I'm sorry to hear that.
Are you boy or girl? Do you have suicide thoughts?
Reply 3
That's good.
Do you study well?
Original post by Anonymous
A girl and no.
Reply 4
Yes I do usually. I know what works for me and if I am interested in a subject I have motivation. I love my course which is good, but when my mental health isn't good there can be a negative effect on it due to lost concentration.
Original post by rjckk
That's good.
Do you study well?
Reply 5
I'm sorry to hear your mental health.
You may PM me if you need help,though I'm not professional.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I do usually. I know what works for me and if I am interested in a subject I have motivation. I love my course which is good, but when my mental health isn't good there can be a negative effect on it due to lost concentration.
Reply 6
I would ideally like advice regarding the question I have asked in my first post, but thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest