The Student Room Group

A-Level history coursework ideas??

So for my history coursework we have to choose a approx. 100 year period of history to study and we can pick our own question. I did originally think the stereotypical Unification of Germany but my friend and I want to apply for Oxford and she went to a shadowing thing and they hate the stereotypical coursework topics like british empire, cold war, nazi germany, russian revolution etc. We can't have it overlap with any of the topics we're already doing, (Angevin Kings 1154-1216 and Russia 1855-1964) and I'm struggling to think of a topic. I was thinking something along the idea of women's rights movement or something but I don't know, any great ideas would be appreciated please:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by crazysteve
So for my history coursework we have to choose a approx. 100 year period of history to study and we can pick our own question. I did originally think the stereotypical Unification of Germany but my friend and I want to apply for Oxford and she went to a shadowing thing and they hate the stereotypical coursework topics like british empire, cold war, nazi germany, russian revolution etc. We can't have it overlap with any of the topics we're already doing, (Angevin Kings 1154-1216 and Russia 1855-1964) and I'm struggling to think of a topic. I was thinking something along the idea of women's rights movement or something but I don't know, any great ideas would be appreciated please:smile:

What about the American Suffrage movement? It's a bit more unusual than the British history, and I've been studying it as part of my A2 and find it fascinating :h:
Reply 3
'The influence of US women over politics, dissent and ideas in the period 1762-1865 has been severely underestimated.' How far do you agree with this judgement?

^ my one. Tough to start with but there's actually a lot to talk about once you get going. Most of my class was doing the extent to which slavery caused the American Civil War with reference to this period so I wanted to do something different.

What periods of history are you most interested in?
Reply 5
Hmmm you seem to be doing very historic events, what about if you did some modern history, 1900-2000? Just to give a bit of contrast… I've decided to do the British empire, but I'm doing The Making of Modern Britain (1951-2007) as a component which I think is great
Reply 6
I remember my class were just told to do the poor laws in England.

Or maybe 17c England? Intellectual history in 19/20c? Propaganda 20c? Causes of the Spanish civil war (the 100 years leading up to it)?
Reply 7
Original post by Gingerbread101
What about the American Suffrage movement? It's a bit more unusual than the British history, and I've been studying it as part of my A2 and find it fascinating :h:

Thank you so much for this idea I've decided to use this topic:smile:

I did mine on the European Witch-Craze... pretty hard but if you're willing to read a lot and work hard then it's an absolutely incredible period; very interesting.
Reply 9
Original post by ivybridge
I did mine on the European Witch-Craze... pretty hard but if you're willing to read a lot and work hard then it's an absolutely incredible period; very interesting.

That does sound interesting but my friend's already doing it and everyone in our class has to choose a different topic -_- but thank you for the idea:smile:
what about somethings that more specific? like the fashion of woman within a century or a radical leader?

I was thinking about doing this for my coursework. Do you have any websites you reccomend or any books? Also how did you word your question?

what was the question that you focused on?

What about the roll of children in different social and economic rolls for a hundred years from say 1865to 1965
What aspect of history are you really interested in? Emotional history? Economic history? Historical impacts in society? Cultural history?

I didn't want to go with the flow (Medieval Era, Weimar and Nazi Germany etc) so I chose from a select few that I handpicked myself (I wanted to analyse Military History which I'm really interested in) such as Napoleon but in the end, I went with the Spanish Civil War which I hear is quite a complex subject in nature :smile:

You don't have to be unique but choose the one you're comfortable with.
Reply 15
Hi! I know i am slightly late but i have to pick a topic which stretches over 100yrs and i absolutely love Nazi Germany or autocratic rule but cant find a question which is 100yrs do you have any questions to do with the topics you mentioned? thanks!
Reply 16

Hi! I know i am slightly late but i have to pick a topic which stretches over 100yrs and i absolutely love Nazi Germany or autocratic rule but cant find a question which is 100yrs do you have any questions to do with the topics you mentioned? thanks!
Reply 17
Original post by elen90
'The influence of US women over politics, dissent and ideas in the period 1762-1865 has been severely underestimated.' How far do you agree with this judgement?

^ my one. Tough to start with but there's actually a lot to talk about once you get going. Most of my class was doing the extent to which slavery caused the American Civil War with reference to this period so I wanted to do something different.

Hello, i am currently taking my a-levels and i am in the stage where i need to submit a question for my nea coursework. This question you posted seemed very interesting so i was wondering if you have any resources for it and what you got as a grade for the coursework.
Original post by rima21
Hello, i am currently taking my a-levels and i am in the stage where i need to submit a question for my nea coursework. This question you posted seemed very interesting so i was wondering if you have any resources for it and what you got as a grade for the coursework.

The person you're quoting hasn't been active on TSR since September 2017 I'm afraid, so it's not very likely they'll see your message.
I'm thinking of doing mine on the witch craze. What was your question?

Latest

Trending

Trending