The Student Room Group

If i get a European citizenship can i get also a UK citizenship

and does it matter if it after or before BREXIT
Original post by kai43

Nope and the second question becomes irrelevant.
The only side issue is if that citizenship was UK in the first place.
Your question is imprecise , doesnt say where you are living and provides little context.
I got Danish and British citizenship so it’s possible
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Nope and the second question becomes irrelevant.
The only side issue is if that citizenship was UK in the first place.
Your question is imprecise , doesnt say where you are living and provides little context.

I can get a Portuguese / Spanish Citizenship and by that European Citizenship.
I'm also applying to university in the UK

Can you send me a source for that?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Did you get British from Europian Citizenship?
Original post by kai43
I can get a Portuguese / Spanish Citizenship and by that European Citizenship.
I'm also applying to university in the UK

Can you send me a source for that?

That isnt the same question as the one you asked in the title. Completely different.

If you dont provide the relevant information about your status, then you wont get a relevant answer. I am not going to chase you for it.
Read your own question, then you will see they are different.
Original post by Anonymous

Care to explain how?
Reply 7
That isnt the same question as the one you asked in the title. Completely different.

If you dont provide the relevant information about your status, then you wont get a relevant answer. I am not going to chase you for it.
Read your own question, then you will see they are different.

Well, I don't understand how it works so I don't know how it different if the European Citizenship is from Portuguese / Spanish Citizenship or somewhere else that is not the UK.
My cousin’s parents were Italians ( Myanmar people but Italian citizens ). They moved to London when My cousin was 2 and got citizenship 5 years later (while keeping their Italian citizenship). And also if you’re an EU student, you can become a British citizen after 5 years, through neutralisation. I don’t think this changed after Brexit.

Here’s some extras which I heard from my uncle and father’s conversation
If you’re a non-EU and you want to get neutralised as a Brit then you have to work in the UK for 5 years with a work-permit Visa. But if you’re a non-EU student, studying with a student visa, then you’re not eligible to get citizenship after 5 year through neutralisation which means you have to work in the UK for 5 years in order to do so. Or marry a British citizen and become a citizen after 3 years again through neutralisation.
I think there should be a website about this. I just heard this from my dad and uncle lol.

That’s all I know!
Original post by kai43
Did you get British from Europian Citizenship?

I was born in Denmark so was Danish from birth and moved to UK for 10 years and got the British citizenship eventually.
Original post by kai43

Yes, you can have up to 2 citizenships in many European countries. GB is allowing to have 2 citizenships, so you will be called (your citizenship) - British or just simply British if you prefer the shorter option. Remember that you need to live in the UK at least 5 years, be here legally, speak English and pass successfully your citizenship exam. It doesn't matter if you will apply for a British citizenship before or after Brexit because Brexit isn't the end of the world and UK, will be still in Europe, the law isn't changing and the only thing that you need to get if you aren't already here is Visa or a settled status if you are living here and you are an EU citizen. Your question isn't clear and idk what you mean by saying an European Citizenship. Are you from a different continent? If so, you can apply for a British citizenship even if you aren't from Europe.
Original post by kai43
Well, I don't understand how it works so I don't know how it different if the European Citizenship is from Portuguese / Spanish Citizenship or somewhere else that is not the UK.

What nationality are you now?
Where are you living?
Where have you been living for the last 10,5,3 years?
How will you get Spanish citizenship and when?
You can try to get UK citizenship via naturalisation.
The difference between coming from another nationality will be whether you can come to the UK and visas.
the UK is leaving the EU in October so notwithstanding additional agreements, EU citizens not already in the UK will be treated as internationals.
Current situation, usually get settled status (5 years of UK residence, if not presettled status till then) and after 12 months, apply for citizenship

You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 as an EU national for this

-----------------
Portugal allows dual citizenship. Hence, Portuguese citizens holding or acquiring a foreign citizenship do not lose Portuguese citizenship. Similarly, those becoming Portuguese citizens do not have to renounce their foreign citizenship

-----------------
Dual citizenship is permitted for all Spaniards by origin, as long as they declare their will to retain Spanish nationality within three years of the acquisition of another nationality.

Foreign nationals who acquire Spanish nationality must renounce their previous nationality

Spaniard by origin =
1)those individuals born of a Spanish parent;
2)those individuals born in Spain of foreign parents if at least one of the parents was also born in Spain, with the exception of children of foreign diplomatic or consular officers accredited in Spain;
3)those individuals born in Spain of foreign parents if neither of them has a nationality, or if the legislation of either parent's home country does not grant the child any nationality;
4)those individuals born in Spain of undetermined filiation; those individuals whose first known territory of residence is Spain, are considered born in Spain.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
What nationality are you now?
Where are you living?
Where have you been living for the last 10,5,3 years?
How will you get Spanish citizenship and when?
You can try to get UK citizenship via naturalisation.
The difference between coming from another nationality will be whether you can come to the UK and visas.
the UK is leaving the EU in October so notwithstanding additional agreements, EU citizens not already in the UK will be treated as internationals.

What nationality are you now? Jewish
Where are you living? Israel
Where have you been living for the last 10,5,3 years? Israel
How will you get Spanish citizenship and when? Apparently, my ancestors in 1500 were expelled from Spain and Portugal.
And I can get Citizenship whenever I apply for.

How does that information matter?

Also, I can only go there in 2023 and ill do there PhD and will hopefully work there as a scientist. does it help me?
Reply 14
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Current situation, usually get settled status (5 years of UK residence, if not presettled status till then) and after 12 months, apply for citizenship

You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 as an EU national for this

-----------------
Portugal allows dual citizenship. Hence, Portuguese citizens holding or acquiring a foreign citizenship do not lose Portuguese citizenship. Similarly, those becoming Portuguese citizens do not have to renounce their foreign citizenship

-----------------
Dual citizenship is permitted for all Spaniards by origin, as long as they declare their will to retain Spanish nationality within three years of the acquisition of another nationality.

Foreign nationals who acquire Spanish nationality must renounce their previous nationality

Spaniard by origin =
1)those individuals born of a Spanish parent;
2)those individuals born in Spain of foreign parents if at least one of the parents was also born in Spain, with the exception of children of foreign diplomatic or consular officers accredited in Spain;
3)those individuals born in Spain of foreign parents if neither of them has a nationality, or if the legislation of either parent's home country does not grant the child any nationality;
4)those individuals born in Spain of undetermined filiation; those individuals whose first known territory of residence is Spain, are considered born in Spain.

If I live in the UK in 2023 for 4 years as a student and want to work there as a scientist does it help?
Original post by kai43
If I live in the UK in 2023 for 4 years as a student and want to work there as a scientist does it help?

you have to be living in the UK by 31 Dec 2020 as an EU citizen if you want to apply using the settled status program (if not 5 years, you can get presettled status till you are qualified for settled status after 5 years) and eventually citizenship, or its like everyone else, through the normal naturalisation as far as I know....

Deadline for Sephardi Jews is 1 Oct 2019 for Spanish citizenship, and need to prove Sephardi origin and pass citizenship and language tests (exempt from these if below 18), after application will take around 8-10 months to be approved
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by kai43
What nationality are you now? Jewish
Where are you living? Israel
Where have you been living for the last 10,5,3 years? Israel
How will you get Spanish citizenship and when? Apparently, my ancestors in 1500 were expelled from Spain and Portugal.
And I can get Citizenship whenever I apply for.

How does that information matter?

Also, I can only go there in 2023 and ill do there PhD and will hopefully work there as a scientist. does it help me?

So is your aim you want citizenship or you just want to come and study in the UK?

1. You have to get citizenship first and I dont know how long it will take to get in Spain?
2. Once you have that, then you can come to the UK and stay or work without a visa, because you would be an EU citizen.
3. The UK is leaving the EU in October. If you get here before then with Spanish citizenship they will let you in and its likely you will be allowed to stay even after brexit and get UK citizenship after 5 years or sooner. It is unclear how student finance will treat you, but its possible for EU citizens already resident they could get better treatment. If after Brexit then unless there will be an additional agreement, then there will be no access to home fees.
4. If you do not come and live here until after Brexit then you will not have an automatic right to reside here, but will have to get a visa and then manage to stay for 5 years. That would be much harder.
5. If you arent coming till 2023, then you would just be an international student as you are now unless there was a different agreement with the EU. Most likely no access to UK student finance.
6. UK unis will accept PHD students from any country, but you will need to fix up funding.
you have to be living in the UK by 31 Dec 2020 as an EU citizen if you want to apply using the settled status program (if not 5 years, you can get presettled status till you are qualified for settled status after 5 years) and eventually citizenship, or its like everyone else, through the normal naturalisation as far as I know....

Deadline for Sephardi Jews is 1 Oct 2019 for Spanish citizenship, and need to prove Sephardi origin and pass citizenship and language tests (exempt from these if below 18), after application will take around 8-10 months to be approved

So as I suspected he cant beat the brexit deadline by getting Spanish citizenship in time.

Portugal : Applicants must be able to prove Sephardic surnames in their family tree.

Another factor is "the language spoken at home," a reference which also applies to Ladino (Judeo-Portuguese and/or Judeo-Spanish).

Furthermore, applicants must be able to prove an "emotional and traditional connection with the former Portuguese Sephardic Community," commonly established through a letter from an orthodox rabbi confirming Jewish heritage.

The amendment also says applicants need not reside in Portugal, an exception to the requirement of six years of consecutive residency in Portugal for any applicant for citizenship.

--------------------
Bit more relaxed, less language/citizenship tests, and no deadline unlike in Spain that I am aware of....

Either way, if you get Spanish/Portugese citizenship, you need to live in the UK by 31 Dec 2020, or will have to apply like everyone else as a PhD students (have you considered courses in other EU countries if this is not possible)
Portugal : Applicants must be able to prove Sephardic surnames in their family tree.

Another factor is "the language spoken at home," a reference which also applies to Ladino (Judeo-Portuguese and/or Judeo-Spanish).

Furthermore, applicants must be able to prove an "emotional and traditional connection with the former Portuguese Sephardic Community," commonly established through a letter from an orthodox rabbi confirming Jewish heritage.

The amendment also says applicants need not reside in Portugal, an exception to the requirement of six years of consecutive residency in Portugal for any applicant for citizenship.

--------------------
Bit more relaxed, less language/citizenship tests, and no deadline unlike in Spain that I am aware of....

Either way, if you get Spanish/Portugese citizenship, you need to live in the UK by 31 Dec 2020, or will have to apply like everyone else as a PhD students (have you considered courses in other EU countries if this is not possible)

Interesting thanks for the information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending