The Student Room Group

Am I too tall (I'm a girl)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ggghhh111222333
no that's not quite how stats work, the average height used to be 5 ft 9" and now is 5 ft 10" (just btw), it's gonna take a while before it's 5ft 11", but of course depending on where u r in the UK, the average height for that place may differ from the national average, other places may have an average height of 5ft 8 .etc but the national is 5ft 10".

You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying the average height for my age category (and I'm most likely to date within my age category) is likely higher than the average for the whole population. When I walk around I don't see that most men are around 5'10. I generally see men who are taller than that. I live in the north and were statistically shorter than the South so I don't think I just live in a tall area. The area I live in is quite deprived in parts so people aren't going to be very tall.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying the average height for my age category (and I'm most likely to date within my age category) is likely higher than the average for the whole population. When I walk around I don't see that most men are around 5'10. I generally see men who are taller than that. I live in the north and were statistically shorter than the South so I don't think I just live in a tall area. The area I live in is quite deprived in parts so people aren't going to be very tall.

what!?? okay u either can't actually be 5ft 10" or u must be perceiving other men around u to be taller, just ask one of ur mates that u think represents the average height and ask him to stand next to u shoulder to shoulder after that i think it'll be pretty obvious.

I used to know a girl who was around 5ft 9"/10" (one of the taller girls in my class) and for some reason she kept on thinking that we were almost the same height, which confused the sh*t outta me at the time but i think it's just down to women expecting themselves to be smaller than men cus that's what's condsidered normal - both biologically and socially. oh and btw i'm from the south - Dorset which i think is actucally above average in terms of height relative to the national.
Original post by ggghhh111222333
what!?? okay u either can't actually be 5ft 10" or u must be perceiving other men around u to be taller, just ask one of ur mates that u think represents the average height and ask him to stand next to u shoulder to shoulder after that i think it'll be pretty obvious.

I used to know a girl who was around 5ft 9"/10" (one of the taller girls in my class) and for some reason she kept on thinking that we were almost the same height, which confused the sh*t outta me at the time but i think it's just down to women expecting themselves to be smaller than men cus that's what's condsidered normal - both biologically and socially. oh and btw i'm from the south - Dorset which i think is actucally above average in terms of height relative to the national.

nope I'm definitely not just thinking that. I'm taller than most middle aged men but in terms of boys my age the vast majority are taller. I'm definitely not making it up like they're clearly taller than me. Maybe I do just live in a tall area but idk i know that generally the north is shorter but I think there will be areas that don't fit the trend. Most boys my age are 6'0 or above that I know. There are a lot who are smaller than me but most are taller.
Original post by Reality Check
Oh gosh, yes - totally. The best thing to do will be to make an appointment with your GP and ask him if he can resect your legs to the knee, thus making your more of an 'acceptable' height. Hopefully, he'll be able to save the joint.

Okay I'll make sure to do that. Trouble is my GPS surgery is always full so it's hard to get a booking. It's okay though because I'll just stay in my house until I can get an appointment which may be around November 2019 (fingers crossed!).
I’m the same height as you and the same age. I used to be self conscious about it but then I realised that anyone who wouldn’t date me for my height is really not worth my time. Also it’s very handy if you’re at a concert lol
Okay so I'm now 16 and I'm female and I'm nearly 5'10 (and still growing), I'm probably about 5'9 and a half atm but I think I'll probably end upb5'10. My question is, am I too tall to the point where boys will not like me? I know it's totally subjective but I'm asking on average. I've always been tall for my age and lots of my family is quite tall. Considering the average female is like 5'5 I am quite tall for a girl, I am more similar to the height of an average man.

I'm 15 and the same height as you and any guy who is worried about dating you because you're too tall for him needs to work on his self image if he's worried about being overpowered by a girl. Guys usually grow a lot slower than girls so once you're 17 or 18 most guys will be around your height.
i am 14 and almost 5'11 lol
Okay so I'm now 16 and I'm female and I'm nearly 5'10 (and still growing), I'm probably about 5'9 and a half atm but I think I'll probably end upb5'10. My question is, am I too tall to the point where boys will not like me? I know it's totally subjective but I'm asking on average. I've always been tall for my age and lots of my family is quite tall. Considering the average female is like 5'5 I am quite tall for a girl, I am more similar to the height of an average man.

I have a friend who is about 6’0. She has had no problem dating. Her looks are average but her personality is amazing so she had no issues whatsoever. Try not to worry too much. :h:
Original post by lucys0038
I'm 15 and the same height as you and any guy who is worried about dating you because you're too tall for him needs to work on his self image if he's worried about being overpowered by a girl. Guys usually grow a lot slower than girls so once you're 17 or 18 most guys will be around your height.

Yeah I think that might be true. Lots of boys don't grow at all for a while but then have a sudden growth spurt whereas girls grow more gradually. I am still growing but I'm kind of over it now. Most boys my age are taller than me and most men (except for middle aged and older men) are taller than me so it probably won't be an issue unless if I grow taller than about 6 foot.
Reply 29
Oof I feel your pain sis, im only 14 and I’m like 5’7 or taller. My doctor said “I was gonna stop growing” but I’m scared I’m still gonna grow at a young age and people are going think I’m a grown woman.. 😓😔
I’m just over 5’10 and was really self conscious of my height for so long as I’m 18. I think it’s much harder when you’re younger because boys haven’t finished growing Whilst you have but that’s just how it all works. Be a boss and lovebirds your height cause you can’t do anything about it x
it doesnt matter about height hun its if the boy likes you the way you are i will pm you so we can have a chat
Don’t change who you are. Who cares what others think. At least you’re not short, short is more problematic as you don’t get any respect and are treated like and spoken to like a child on a daily basis and never treated like a adult. At least you have the power of height to hold yourself well. Plus you have long legs if you’re tall :smile:
thank you one person agrees it doesnt matter about height
Original post by aprilgreen
Don’t change who you are. Who cares what others think. At least you’re not short, short is more problematic as you don’t get any respect and are treated like and spoken to like a child on a daily basis and never treated like a adult. At least you have the power of height to hold yourself well. Plus you have long legs if you’re tall :smile:
Damn wish I was your height
what height are u ?
5'7'' (female)
Original post by mollieking12345
what height are u ?
thats not that bad im 5 foot 4 and im a female
Noooo, I think ur fine just the way you are!! You aren't too tall :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest