The Student Room Group

Warning light on car

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
I didn’t think I needed to check the oil level of a car that had just been serviced before I bought it.
How often am I supposed to be checking it?
I’ve no idea what the oil level was when I got it...

Depends how often you drive, but probably every few weeks
Original post by LTEcactus
Depends how often you drive, but probably every few weeks

I drive it probably every day or every other, but for very short journeys (I’m talking like 10 minutes at a time) and I only got the car two weeks ago
The real question is, how long did you keep on driving it after the red oil pressure light came on? Did you drive it until it wouldn't go any more? That's where you messed up. Red warning lights mean stop immediately and assess the situation.
Original post by Nuffles
The real question is, how long did you keep on driving it after the red oil pressure light came on? Did you drive it until it wouldn't go any more? That's where you messed up. Red warning lights mean stop immediately and assess the situation.

I got in my car and pulled off. I stopped at the end of my road to give way. Then, when I attempted to move off, the car turned off. I thought I had stalled but then the car wouldn’t turn back on and that’s when the red oil pressure light came on. I was trying to turn the car back on and after about 45 seconds, it did turn on. I then parked it and haven’t drove it since it’s happened.
The oil light should come on if the engine was stopped. Only worry if it was running.

Sounds more electrical to me. Try not to worry.

As a general rule you can continue to drive with a yellow light but should stop as soon as safely possible if a red light comes on.
Original post by Apachecow
The oil light should come on if the engine was stopped. Only worry if it was running.

As a general rule you can continue to drive with a yellow light but should stop as soon as safely possible if a red light comes on.

Ok thanks. It’s all just a bit frustrating considering it’s a fairly new car that has been looked after well so I don’t know why this has happened
Reply 26
Original post by Apachecow

Why should the oil light come on if the engine was stopped?
Original post by IWMTom
Why should the oil light come on if the engine was stopped?

I am sure The light came on after the car had turned itself off.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 28
I am sure The light came on after the car had turned itself off.

Ignore @Apachecow - they're probably thinking of the EML - the oil pressure light should NOT come on.. like.. ever..
Original post by IWMTom
Ignore @Apachecow - they're probably thinking of the EML - the oil pressure light should NOT come on.. like.. ever..

Yeah. I know nothing about cars really but I’m pretty sure they aren’t just supposed to turn off. Though I’ve been told that it could be something as simple as needing engine oil ? I’ll be taking it to Peugeot in a couple of days anyway
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 30
Yeah. I know nothing about cars really but I’m pretty sure they aren’t just supposed to turn off. Though I’ve been told that it could be something as simple as needing engine oil ? I’ll be taking it to Peugeot in a couple of days anyway

Once you've got so little oil as for the light to come on, you've probably caused damage.
Original post by IWMTom
Once you've got so little oil as for the light to come on, you've probably caused damage.

They must not have carried out a proper service then if the engine oils were dangerously low...
Tbh, you should check the car yourself as well. Open the engine bay, look around for any leas and things missing, look under the car for any leaks and make sure you have enough oil, and other fluids. It's not difficult and doesn't take long. I do agree from above comments, engine may likely be finished, and car definitely not safe to drive.
Reply 33
They must not have carried out a proper service then if the engine oils were dangerously low...

Unfortunately this could very well be a case of a bad engine burning A LOT of oil, or possibly a leak.

I wouldn't say they're responsible just yet.
Original post by IWMTom
Unfortunately this could very well be a case of a bad engine burning A LOT of oil, or possibly a leak.

I do agree, there is a possibility... but how likely is it that a 3 year old car will burn oil that quick? Too many people take their cars for granted tbh... but then, it is a French car...
Original post by KBPL3601
Tbh, you should check the car yourself as well. Open the engine bay, look around for any leas and things missing, look under the car for any leaks and make sure you have enough oil, and other fluids. It's not difficult and doesn't take long. I do agree from above comments, engine may likely be finished, and car definitely not safe to drive.

Okay, thank you
Original post by KBPL3601
I do agree, there is a possibility... but how likely is it that a 3 year old car will burn oil that quick? Too many people take their cars for granted tbh... but then, it is a French car...

French manufacturer yes, but still shares many of the same parts with the Toyota Aygo including engine (which I gather is deemed more reliable)
Original post by IWMTom

Right. Does it sound like something that will take a while to repair?
Reply 38
Right. Does it sound like something that will take a while to repair?

Don't speculate on anything - I'd imagine if the oil pressure light had come on, you will have done damage to your engine - it's usually cheaper to replace the engine than repair it in a modern car.

You could be looking at a hefty bill. Wait and see what the garage have to say.
Original post by IWMTom
Don't speculate on anything - I'd imagine if the oil pressure light had come on, you will have done damage to your engine - it's usually cheaper to replace the engine than repair it in a modern car.

You could be looking at a hefty bill. Wait and see what the garage have to say.

Ok thank you for your help. I’ll post an update once I know for sure what’s wrong in case anyone else has a similar issue

Quick Reply

Latest