The Student Room Group

Is my 2:1 Strong enough for Magic Circle?

Hey guys!

Just got my first year results for Law:

Contract 66, Public 66, EU 65 and Crim 58 :O

So averaging 64

Done a lot of work experience but had a pretty rough year in terms of depression and almost having surgery a week before that crim exam due to a severe infection..

Would like some honesty? I know Slaughters say 65 and above, but Shearman and Sterling said they like a good 2:1 and require above 65 in contract (which I believe I have done)

Definitely gained lots of good work schemes and stuff so i think additional things are fine but obviously do want some honest opinions as I start to think of wwhich vacation schemes I will apply to!

HOPE EVERYONE GOT WHAT THEY WANTED! (I understand first year doesnt matter as much for some degrees so chin up everyone!)

(I go to one of the Russel Group London unis, dont want to say which for anonymity. )
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the reply!

You're right , I should definitely not pin myself on firms I dont have the best chance at.

I went to a First YearScheme at Shearman and graduate recruitment said "good 2:1" and "good contract" - He gave us some examples, which were ranging from 64-67% and also mentioned what kind of exentuating circumstances they would accept (I thnk my illnesses, both physical and mental might factor in?)

Do you know anything about Slaughter in this regard? - extenuating circumstances wise?
Thanks for the honesty.

I think I'll try for maybe a few silver circle and regionals and work on improving my grade to a first class next year when hopefully I don't have to work through such circumstances.

Sucks that everything gets thrown away after one bad year! :frown:
@johangrk

Just out of curiosity - which vacation schemes did you get? :smile:
Aye, no one mentions **** grades on Linky. You go on there to brag, not to share your inadequacies.
Kinda...
Original post by DeactivatedJul19
Nothing gets thrown away....

Always had good grades (A*A*A*A at A Level), worked really hard to secure competitive first year schemes, done extra societies and won awards for mooting and had a part time job, all to help reach my goal of joining the best law firm I can...

And now a bad first year due to illnessess means I have to let go on my hopes of places like Shearman and Slaughters because academics is fundamental.

I've always known the importance of the exams but becoming so ill a couple weeks before definitely affected me a lot.
Why are you so obsessed with S&M and S&S?

S&M is an elitist Oxbridge sweatshop with no international presence, and there are better US firms than S&S.

If you're so worried you can apply for straight TCs next year if you get better grades. Non-Oxbridge 64% is low for those firms but certainly not impossible to get a good VS as long as you interview well.
(edited 4 years ago)
I've done far worse in my first year! Averaging only a 62 with only a 62 in contract so chin up, don't worry. :smile:
Some US firms recruit almost exclusively Oxbridge and with S&M there's lots of opportunity to network with the partners etc at College dinners with them etc, so I'm not convinced it's entirely true in every case.
Original post by Palmyra
Why are you so obsessed with S&M and S&S?

S&M is an elitist Oxbridge sweatshop with no international presence, and there are better US firms than S&S.

If you're so worried you can apply for straight TCs next year if you get better grades. Non-Oxbridge 64% is low for those firms but certainly not impossible to get a good VS as long as you interview well.

I have done quite a few schemes and open days and I just remember really connecting at those two firms and I wanted to aim high...

Do you think its just the 2:2 grade that puts me out of the running? When I went to Slaughters, they said one slip up with a legitimate reason is fine and the grades are just the basis to get your application past the door.
I agree with this but at the same time, a 68% at Brunel University is different to a 68% from Cambridge?
Im confused, I think Ive misunderstood

If you look at which universitys the firms recruit from (percentages of Oxbridge, Russel group and a tiny amount of 'Others') people have first classes or 2:1s.

From all the open days Ive been to, never once met a Brunel University student. And when you go on linkedin, most Brunel students boast about getting 70-80% - something less common at more highly ranked universities. It is easier for them to get those kind of mores as it is easier as it is a less respected university than Oxbridge.

If your point is true, why do they bother recruiting people with strong 2:1s (not mine lol) anyway? Oh yeah, cos they probably do better at assessments and interview.

I think you are a bit unrealistic. Just because someone has a first doesn't mean they are guaranteed the job. Look at Eve Cornwell, when she applied to links, she had a 2:1 and she graduated with a 2:1.
lol
You watch me lads imma try for the big bois wish me luck! Will report back :smile:
Re this:

Got 3 Vacs - 2 at Silver Circle and 1 at US!! :smile: Although thanks Covid... Got A LOT of rejections (one MC interview, no offer!) so obviously grades have a massive influence but once you get past the app stage, the ball is in your court.

Chin up everyone and work hard on those Watson Glasers and Case studies and don't let people bring you down !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending