The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by black1blade
Only if you did the same subjects in the same year and even then ehhhh. They could literally have 1 mark less than you just because they got unlucky and a big question was on something they weren't too sure on ect. There is a pretty random element to exams on which topics come up, what questions people struggle with (definitely think on average slightly less able years exist) ect.

Same subjects, same board, same school, same parents, same everything and I fail to see how there is a debate at all...

They're a pretty crap indicator of intelligence anyway compared to stuff like the maths challenge, but they're better than nothing.
Original post by thekidwhogames
I don't see how looking both ways is a "dumb" thing? Obviously, everyone understands its a stupid thing to do but when people do it, it's not them being stupid but accidents or other factors etc. In that situation, I'd say the person is clever but clumsy (or similar trait).

Also you have to define clever since I and most people assumed academic intelligence. Also clever is defined as quick learning and/or applications etc and some of this fit the criteria for getting top grades.

not looking both ways when you cross the road is a dumb thing, there could be a car coming towards you that will kill you and all u have to do is look to the side so you know when to go. if you cant even do that, youre dumb
smart people are aware, dumb people are not.
id say clever is being consistantly logical, ability to withstand pressure, ability to solve problems without help, being aware, ability to understand situations well and how to deal with them consistantly
Original post by Future Physics
I disagree. When it comes to maths and physics, your ability is being assessed and if you can't do the calculations you won't get a high grade. Though are you talking about GCSEs or A Levels since the 2 qualifications are quite different and I didn't study the new 9-1 GCSEs and I'm self studying the new spec a levels?

I’m talking about both by the way but A Levels is more arguable also. Ability is allegedly being assessed but as long as you remember it and can put it into the exam then you should be fine. Many people know the knowledge but doing it within such an exam frame rather than in a real life scenario may be challenging to them
Original post by _gcx
But literally anyone can have a lapse of attention and get hit by a car.

a smart person wont
Original post by jnkkjnkjhn
Same subjects, same board, same school, same parents, same everything and I fail to see how there is a debate at all...

They're a pretty crap indicator of intelligence anyway compared to stuff like the maths challenge, but they're better than nothing.

A 1 grade a-level difference isn't very significant. Am I smarter than you because I got 4A*s, I wouldn't say so because I don't know anything about you. Exams are fairly random and it could have easily been the other way around so before you go around thinking you're smarter than your siblings, just think how that makes them feel (of course healthy competition is fun).
Reply 45
P1: Most students cannot get 3A*s in A-Levels.
P2: If you achieved 3A*s you have outperformed most of your fellows.
P3: A-Levels are one of the (but not the only) tools to measure smartness.
P4: The approximate smartness of the high-achievers is the best explanation to their success.
C: An A* student is a ‘smart’ person. (IBE)
(edited 4 years ago)
Someone who gets an A* at A-Level can be considered clever imo in that subject. If you have the ability to adapt, and apply your knowledge in novel situations, you are clever. Simply having the knowledge would not be enough.
Original post by ML8020
P4: The approximate smartness of the high-achievers is the best explanation to their success.
C: An A* student is a ‘smart’ person (IBE)

Agreed. You can’t be one of the best in the country and not be considered ‘clever’
Yeah I agree that A* ==> fairly intelligent but the converse isn't true. But someone getting a C, who's considered amazing at that subject, is a different story I think.
Original post by ML8020
C: An A* student is a ‘smart’ person (IBE)

so a D student is a dumb person?
Original post by Gent2324
not looking both ways when you cross the road is a dumb thing, there could be a car coming towards you that will kill you and all u have to do is look to the side so you know when to go. if you cant even do that, youre dumb
smart people are aware, dumb people are not.
id say clever is being consistantly logical, ability to withstand pressure, ability to solve problems without help, being aware, ability to understand situations well and how to deal with them consistantly

So you're saying no-one is smart since no human can be consistently logical all the time. A dumb action does not a dumb person make.
So you're saying no-one is smart since no human can be consistently logical all the time. A dumb action does not a dumb person make.

humans can be consistently logic, what makes you think they cant?

Well, in that subject, they wouldn't be considered that great. In terms of that subject, I'd say yes as that's below average so in that particular subject (and topic), they're not doing as well.

More likely or maybe they're just lazy or maybe they were in a bad place. You can't determine much about someone's character just from their grades, just that certain things are more likely so I'd say it's more likely they are below average intelligence esp if it was in a gcse.
A 1 grade a-level difference isn't very significant. Am I smarter than you because I got 4A*s, I wouldn't say so because I don't know anything about you. Exams are fairly random and it could have easily been the other way around so before you go around thinking you're smarter than your siblings, just think how that makes them feel (of course healthy competition is fun).

Think we're going to have to agree to disagree lol. Yeah I'd consider you smarter than me, cause I don't know if I could have handled 4. It doesn't make me sad or insecure.
Reply 55
Original post by MediocreSince01
Agreed. You can’t be one of the best in the country and not be considered ‘clever’

sadly yes but no . A*A*A* in all stem subjects is not the same as A*A*A* in all humanities subjects . just saying u could take sociology which is considered more easier and get an A* etc
Original post by thekidwhogames
Well, in that subject, they wouldn't be considered that great. In terms of that subject, I'd say yes as that's below average so in that particular subject (and topic), they're not doing as well.

i wasnt talking about that subject, using the same logic as the person i replied to, you could say that all D students are dumb
Reply 57

I'll put it this way: An A* student has a larger probability of being smart than a D student.
humans can be consistently logic, what makes you think they cant?

Because humans aren't infallible, everyone makes mistakes. Most of the time when people are wrong, they *think* they're being logical about something when they aren't.
i wasnt talking about that subject, using the same logic as the person i replied to, you could say that all D students are dumb

Fam, clearly we're talking about academic intelligence. It's very hard to define general intelligence and apply it to that very limited scenario you gave.

Latest

Trending

Trending