The Student Room Group

Will the world return to times of “sticks and stones” or will technology update more?

Tech or stick?

Scroll to see replies

My theory is lack of resources and overpopulation may cause a turn to the dark age.

Though on the other hand, could we invent a new way to make resources go further with low risk to our environment ?
Some kind of thorium powered world ?
Is global warming just a conspiracy ?
Honestly, at this rate I doubt that the human race will ever slow down trying to advance technology further and further.. but there must be a point at which it'll slow down, or there'll be more development in something else. Thing is, you can't deny that thanks to technology, things such as health care and entertainment among many other things are hundreds of times better than they were let's say 100 years ago so I'm very thankful for technology
Original post by yousman3357
Is global warming just a conspiracy ?

Delete that comment.
My theory is lack of resources and overpopulation may cause a turn to the dark age.

Though on the other hand, could we invent a new way to make resources go further with low risk to our environment ?

Overpopulation/lack of resources won't do anything like that imo... it could kill off huge amounts of the population but it wouldn't get rid of all technological advancement. Even if fighting over resources led to nuclear war they'd be tech all over the place people could backwards engineer.

For true stone age you'd have to destroy almost all the universitites/research labs, kill off almost all academics and scientists etc.... It just won't happen without wiping out humanity totally,.
Well, think about it.

Healthcare has only advanced because our diseases have got worse. Our diseases have got worse due to our lifestyle and reliance on healthcare too much.

It’s one big circle
Original post by hobicorn
Honestly, at this rate I doubt that the human race will ever slow down trying to advance technology further and further.. but there must be a point at which it'll slow down, or there'll be more development in something else. Thing is, you can't deny that thanks to technology, things such as health care and entertainment among many other things are hundreds of times better than they were let's say 100 years ago so I'm very thankful for technology
Exactly, even if the population decreased due to population pressures and lack of food or whatever, those who survive will still have the knowledge of the technological advancements we have now
Original post by jnkkjnkjhn
Overpopulation/lack of resources won't do anything like that imo... it could kill off huge amounts of the population but it wouldn't get rid of all technological advancement. Even if fighting over resources led to nuclear war they'd be tech all over the place people could backwards engineer.

For true stone age you'd have to destroy almost all the universitites/research labs, kill off almost all academics and scientists etc.... It just won't happen without wiping out humanity totally,.
Our tech is hugely reliant on natural resources. Take resources away, your left with nothing but cave men
I think there’s going to be a global drought.

Tech industry will die or will either go the opposite way
While I completely agree that conditions such as cancers and heart related diseases, obesity etc, have increased in the west at least due to diet and perhaps laziness due to the fact we don't engage in as much exercise as we used to, I don't think that healthcare has advanced because diseases have gotten worse. Healthcare has advanced due to the fact we are able to gain more information about diseases and conditions from the advanced technology we have, and without that technology it would be much more difficult to diagnose and treat illnesses. I'd say mortality has definitely decreased in Western societies because of access to healthcare because of it
Well, think about it.

Healthcare has only advanced because our diseases have got worse. Our diseases have got worse due to our lifestyle and reliance on healthcare too much.

It’s one big circle
(edited 4 years ago)
Have you heard of the mouse utopia, its not very applicable to human civilisation since there are so many variables at play but it is an interesting result nonetheless
I wasn’t just talking about the west, though if you realise: as healthcare improved, diseases got worse.
I think people use healthcare as a scapegoat not to lead a healthy lifestyle. If you think about the number of people with heart disease 50 years ago in the uk as opposed to now, it’s completely different, that is due to our poor attitude to it’s okay, the NHS will deal with it, they will give me another heart bypass, and everything will be alright”.

What if we told people that there is no cure and you have to exercise ?
While I completely agree that conditions such as cancers and heart related diseases, obesity etc, have increased in the west at least due to diet and perhaps laziness due to the fact we don't engage in as much exercise as we used to, I don't think that healthcare has advanced because diseases have gotten worse. Healthcare has advanced due to the fact we are able to gain more information about diseases and conditions from the advanced technology we have, and without that technology it would be much more difficult to diagnose and treat illnesses. I'd say mortality has definitely increased in Western societies because of access to healthcare because of it
Sometimes I think the cavemen era was more benefiting to our lives, in contrary to this ridiculous tech industry which is chasing a losing battle
What diseases have gotten worse? I'm just curious as to where you're getting your information from. The only thing I can think of is the possibility of some bacterial infections becoming harder to treat due to antibiotic resistance etc, which is a problem that has developed from development of antibiotics, obviously. I'll admit that. However, there is only a small number of people that are so careless to be reckless and take advantage of healthcare providers such as the NHS. The vast majority of people are grateful for the treatment they receive, and most treatment done these days is.. using technology. Technology is even used to develop the drugs needed to treat diseases and conditions, so without technology we would also miss out on many things like that.
I also think that because of our advanced knowledge on health and medicine etc these days due to technology, there is almost a health scare everywhere in media etc. I think this has caused people to think health is getting worse, when actually we're just more aware of risks and causes of diseases.
I wasn’t just talking about the west, though if you realise: as healthcare improved, diseases got worse.
I think people use healthcare as a scapegoat not to lead a healthy lifestyle. If you think about the number of people with heart disease 50 years ago in the uk as opposed to now, it’s completely different, that is due to our poor attitude to it’s okay, the NHS will deal with it, they will give me another heart bypass, and everything will be alright”.

What if we told people that there is no cure and you have to exercise ?
That is a deep concept. I sometimes think that the greed in the city have made people forget their humane norms and purpose... is the modern educational world ruining us or bettering us ?
Original post by tomahawker314
Have you heard of the mouse utopia, its not very applicable to human civilisation since there are so many variables at play but it is an interesting result nonetheless
Could you tell me why different forms or cancer have emerged and the idea of heart disease has dramatically risen ?
What diseases have gotten worse? I'm just curious as to where you're getting your information from. The only thing I can think of is the possibility of some bacterial infections becoming harder to treat due to antibiotic resistance etc, which is a problem that has developed from development of antibiotics, obviously. I'll admit that. However, there is only a small number of people that are so careless to be reckless and take advantage of healthcare providers such as the NHS. The vast majority of people are grateful for the treatment they receive, and most treatment done these days is.. using technology. Technology is even used to develop the drugs needed to treat diseases and conditions, so without technology we would also miss out on many things like that.
I also think that because of our advanced knowledge on health and medicine etc these days due to technology, there is almost a health scare everywhere in media etc. I think this has caused people to think health is getting worse, when actually we're just more aware of risks and causes of diseases.
Going to a hospital is good for those that have congenital disorders, but the best type of treatment to any disease is not medicine at all... it’s prevention !
So are people running and exercising less because they feel that modern medicine will take care of it ?
Could you tell me why different forms or cancer have emerged and the idea of heart disease has dramatically risen ?
Like I said, disease and death seem more prevalent than they used to be, and although causes of specific types of cancer and heart disease has increased along with type II diabetes, generally the reason why is because we have more statistics and facts about them because we have been able to carry out more research and are able to diagnose things at a quicker rate. This is due to technology.

Although processed food has become a normal part of lifestyle for a lot of people, advancements in technology have allowed many diseases and conditions to be treated and practically eradicated. This includes things like TB and yellow fever to name a few. These diseases are usually only seen in third world countries and that's because medical technology is not available there, showing that technology is beneficial in that aspect.

To return to a 'caveman' period of time would completely remove basic health care, so infections from cuts and from eating food etc would be more dangerous and life threatening than they are today.

Quick Reply

Latest