The Student Room Group

NQT at an RI school

Hello All,
I've recently completed my PGCE and signed up to work for a school. In the first week that I joined in June they had an Ofsted inspection and are most likely to be rated 'RI'. I am now concerned about the implications that it has for me and if I'd be better off looking for another role at another school. Thanks!
As a student who went to a school rated RI, I'd say that so long as you have an actual passion for helping and teaching then stay and help improve the school. My teachers (in most, but not all, subjects) were below average and as such the results went down and so did student satisfaction. If the school does improve whilst you're there, it's something that will look good on you. However, if the main reason for the rating decreasing is a lack of funding, they might employ a last in first out policy if they have to let people go.
Original post by teachfirst
Hello All,
I've recently completed my PGCE and signed up to work for a school. In the first week that I joined in June they had an Ofsted inspection and are most likely to be rated 'RI'. I am now concerned about the implications that it has for me and if I'd be better off looking for another role at another school. Thanks!
Definitely not! I would advise you to stick with it. You will end up learning so much more.
Original post by teachfirst
Hello All,

AFIAK it won't really have any career implications for you. Personally, I'd read the OFSTED report in full when you can, and try to form your own opinion.

It's quite late to look for another job for September now, so I'd imagine you'd be better off sticking with it next year, and you can always move schools at the end of the year if you feel like it's not a good environment for you.

I think the biggest thing to worry about is if you feel they will be able to give you enough support for your NQT year. If you liked the school at interview, and are otherwise confident in them, then I wouldn't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending